Menu

Best options for online Calculus?

AB or BC, still deciding.

I would love to hear experiences either in thread or pm about particular providers and teachers, including, if your child has taken the exam, how well the class prepared them.

Comments on particular textbooks, if you did not use a class but your child self-studied, would be appreciated.

I know that courses are offered by Derek Owens (based on the Foerster text), Wilson Hill Academy with Mrs. Stublen (uses Larson), and PA Homeschoolers (Gilleran uses Larson Calculus for AP, Lanctot uses a different Laron edition, highschoolmathlive.com with Regina Landon (uses Stewart), HSLDA Academy With Mr. Quan, Kolbe Academy with Mrs. Bjorgaard.

Other than AoPS, DIVE, and Thinkwell, are there other options (preferably with live component) that I haven’t listed? The only options I see for BC are PA HSers and AoPS; is that right? Thanks.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 2

My first son did Calc BC with Gilleran through PA Homeschoolers. I really liked the Larson text she used. The class prepared him well and he made a 5 on the test.

I will be going a different route with my second son. He's currently doing Calc AB through Derek Owens and our plan is to use Thinkwell next year for BC supplemented at home by mom with old test, AP prep book and or our Larson textbook.

• Like 1

Bumping for more feedback.

I am strongly considering Ms. Gilleran as asynchronous is appealing. I just don’t know if having a live component is better for a math course.

Any ideas specifically on that?

While Ms. Gilleran is asynchronous as in there in no live component, there is daily homework that is due daily. When my son took the class, he'd ask if he could access the homework early so as to not do it on days that he was super-busy and she said no. As the year went on, she loosened up and you could do the homework early, but for the first half of the year it was a royal pain to not be able to access Monday's homework until Monday.

• Like 2

I know that it isn't a popular idea but dd self studied with Saxon.  She used Singapore in the younger years and Saxon from 4th or 5th grade forward and completed their entire course.  She took the AP calculus BC exam senior year and scored very well.  Her ability to think through math is always considered high compared to her peers.  She is at a top ten university and in her summer math class her peers suggested she should consider a math major (she's an english major, haha).  She was helping them with the math.  Balk at Saxon all you want, oh nay sayers of the hive, but my kids excel in math on a thinking level because of the "drill and kill" method.  But, yes, at times some of them have cried real tears  :lol:  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

I want to bump this back up. Anyone else with experience - specifically with Derek Owens or PAH for AB? Love to hear details!!

We had planned to take our 4th straight year at WHA and take AP Calc AB with Mrs. Stublen, but she now is no longer teaching AP Calc there. Her replacement is Leslie Smith. So we're looking for options.

I don’t have any advice but just wanted to say that Leslie Smith is a very good teacher. We had her for geometry and there are many positive reviews for her for geometry and at least one for precalculus. According to her bio she has taught calculus before, just not for WHA. 

I understand being disappointed about the switch, though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I don’t have any advice but just wanted to say that Leslie Smith is a very good teacher. We had her for geometry and there are many positive reviews for her for geometry and at least one for precalculus. According to her bio she has taught calculus before, just not for WHA. 

My DD loves Mrs. Smith, so I agree with you on how great of a person and teacher she is. However, mirabillis's ds didn't click with Mrs Smith when he took geometry from her. In that sort of case, one should definitely listen to one's young adult. He can choose his teacher at this point in his education and should be able to at this point, IMO. She's looking into other options because that's the beauty of homeschooling.

yes we had leslie smith for geometry. my ds didn't love her. but he has thrived on live math classes for 3 years now, so i'm bitterly disappointed that we have to consider a switch. so just like to hear more about the other options out there. derek owens sounds great, as there are lectures, albeit recorded ones - whereas PAH may be a bit too asynchronous.

my ds will also be taking honors physics with derek owens. (his younger sister took physical science so we are familiar with his style). is the possibility of 2 derek owens' classes simultaneously too much?

more feedback please! anyone else thinking of changing plans this year post-stublen? (funny, it was the one class i hadn't yet registered for, as the class was filling slowly, so i was putting it off... almost an omen really)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RootAnn said:

My DD loves Mrs. Smith, so I agree with you on how great of a person and teacher she is. However, mirabillis's ds didn't click with Mrs Smith when he took geometry from her. In that sort of case, one should definitely listen to one's young adult. He can choose his teacher at this point in his education and should be able to at this point, IMO. She's looking into other options because that's the beauty of homeschooling.

I didn’t know that she had an unfavorable experience, just trying to reassure in case it was helpful. Sometimes certain teachers have a reputation and we sign up for classes just for that teacher, then are understandably hesitant when it changes. I have been frustrated with some of the turnover in the online schools when we are looking forward to a certain teacher, but I guess that is to be expected. I don’t know for sure, but I have my doubts that online teaching is a job that most would want to do for many, many years. 

I understand letting the student have a say. If it were up to me, I’d sign up for PAH, but my student is adamant on having a live teacher for math.

I wonder if Mrs. Stublen is going to be teaching somewhere else, on her own? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I didn’t know that she had an unfavorable experience, just trying to reassure in case it was helpful. Sometimes certain teachers have a reputation and we sign up for classes just for that teacher, then are understandably hesitant when it changes. I have been frustrated with some of the turnover in the online schools when we are looking forward to a certain teacher, but I guess that is to be expected. I don’t know for sure, but I have my doubts that online teaching is a job that most would want to do for many, many years. 

I understand letting the student have a say. If it were up to me, I’d sign up for PAH, but my student is adamant on having a live teacher for math.

I wonder if Mrs. Stublen is going to be teaching somewhere else, on her own? 

Yep, I figured you didn't know which was why I mentioned it. I, too, have a kid who prefers a live class or at least needs live deadlines (vs self-paced like DO).

I haven't heard what Mrs Stublen is planning, but I think her youngest just graduated high school, so maybe she's taking some time off to travel w/her on a gap year? 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Bright Ideas also offers an online calculus class. 

Does anyone know which ones utilize videos for instruction vs 100% live instruction?

I'm going to answer my own question.... feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong...

• DO - videos
  • PA Homeschoolers - asynchronous - so video only?
  • HSLDA - combo of live meeting and video lectures
  • highschoolmathlive - live
  • Kolbe - live
  • Bright Ideas - combo of live with video lectures?
  • WHA - live
  • AOPS - chat-based meeting for working and discussing problems? 

CTY also has Calculus through videos (Thinkwell), but you get assigned a teacher to help with issues and to keep your kid on track. My kid is only doing Algebra with them, but so far, so good. The classes are $$$, but if you have an AGI less than 60K, definitely apply for a scholarship. They are very generous.

AoPS also has academy locations in some places around the country, which offer live instruction.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 9:14 AM, SeaConquest said:

CTY also has Calculus through videos (Thinkwell), but you get assigned a teacher to help with issues and to keep your kid on track. My kid is only doing Algebra with them, but so far, so good. The classes are $$$, but if you have an AGI less than 60K, definitely apply for a scholarship. They are very generous.

AoPS also has academy locations in some places around the country, which offer live instruction.

We started math with CTY. Our assigned instructors did little more than give high fives. Then found out that we could buy Thinkwell directly (homeschoolbuyecoop).   The new 8th grader has taken TW pre-alg, geometry, alg2, and in the middle of pre-calc.  We supplement with a weekly group tutor. The kid takes any difficult problems to the tutor, and then the tutor gives him some additional problems.   We pay $13/week.  Has worked out great for us..  

btw; at one point CTY was only giving FA for one on-line class per year.  Has that changed?

4 hours ago, gstharr said:

We started math with CTY. Our assigned instructors did little more than give high fives. Then found out that we could buy Thinkwell directly (homeschoolbuyecoop).   The new 8th grader has taken TW pre-alg, geometry, alg2, and in the middle of pre-calc.  We supplement with a weekly group tutor. The kid takes any difficult problems to the tutor, and then the tutor gives him some additional problems.   We pay $13/week.  Has worked out great for us..  

btw; at one point CTY was only giving FA for one on-line class per year.  Has that changed?

You get one online class and one summer camp per year.

My dd did AP calculus AB with Derek Owens and it was an excellent course. She scored a 5 on the AP test. She did Alg 2 - Calculus with DO and they have been wonderful classes for her. My youngest dd has started with Alg 1 with DO and will continue on with him.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 6:35 PM, Penelope said:

AB or BC, still deciding.

I would love to hear experiences either in thread or pm about particular providers and teachers, including, if your child has taken the exam, how well the class prepared them.

Comments on particular textbooks, if you did not use a class but your child self-studied, would be appreciated.

I know that courses are offered by Derek Owens (based on the Foerster text), Wilson Hill Academy with Mrs. Stublen (uses Larson), and PA Homeschoolers (Gilleran uses Larson Calculus for AP, Lanctot uses a different Laron edition, highschoolmathlive.com with Regina Landon (uses Stewart), HSLDA Academy With Mr. Quan, Kolbe Academy with Mrs. Bjorgaard.

Other than AoPS, DIVE, and Thinkwell, are there other options (preferably with live component) that I haven’t listed? The only options I see for BC are PA HSers and AoPS; is that right? Thanks.

My D self-studied for the BC exam using the Larson Calculus for AP textbook.  There is a free online component that has video lectures that align with the example problems in the textbook and an online component that has full solutions to all of the odd textbook problems. (VidoeChat and CalcChat). I supplemented with AoPS Calculus.

I had my syllabus approved by the College Board so I would get access to the teacher material and practice tests.  This approach worked well. My D scored a 5 on the exam.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We do not recommend Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Calculus AB taught by Jeff Lanctot. The asynchronous format did not allow interaction between teacher and students and there was no opportunity to ask questions to a live face.  Calculus is a very hard course already, but this format made it even more difficult. Assignments were posted with online handouts and a few videos. Eventually my son was so frustrated that he gave up on this class and used Khan Academy and the AP test study guide on his own. He managed to get a 4 on the AP test by doing his own thing.  And he is a very good student, with a college scholarship next year in honors program.  But the format of this course did not click at all with him or his learning style. Complete waste of $700. As a side note, some here have also commented about Ann Stublen's live Calculus classes. My son had her for precalculus and loved that course. He had planned to stay with her another year for AP Calculus before we were informed from WHA that she had resigned.  I don't know what she's doing these days, but she was an outstanding teacher.

• Like 1