Menu

Tunics

Amira

I’m looking for tunics that aren’t flowy or fitted (slightly fitted is okay, anything remotely flowy is not) and have 3/4 sleeves and solid, lightweight, washable fabric for hot weather. Any suggestions? I’m having trouble hitting on that combo and I’d like a couple of diffferent styles.

I,like my shirts long too. 34 inches is what it shoot for, 33 is ok. Not every brand has tunics that long. 30 inches is not a tunic on me.

Qvc has several brands that I can find longish tops. Denim and Co. and LOGO by Lori Goldstein.

I love that they give you all the measurements including length.

• Like 1

If you have a sewing machine tunics are quite easy to make.

This so true. I have found a pdf pattern company with a free tunic that I have sewed most of my winter wardrobe from this year.

Love notions is the company and The Laundry Day tee is the pattern in case anyone is interested. Quick sew and fits great.

( I lost 90 pounds this last year and emptied my closet several times)

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 2

Amira--are you needing mid-thigh or knee length or is high hip ok? Modcloth and J.Jill & Boden & other western stores are almost all going to be high hip.  If you're needing mid-thigh to knee length, you might also look at changing the sleeve length and side seams of a kurti. There should be a number of inexpensive bespoke tailors in your neck of the woods. You could get some very lightweight but tightly woven cotton that way.

• Like 1

A kurta is a great idea. Maybe I’ll go shopping in an Indian market here to get what I need. I’m looking for around mid-thigh, or a touch shorter is okay.

I have sewn clothes but I really, really hate using a sewing machine and I’m not to the point of hand sewing my tops. :)

• Like 2

This so true. I have found a pdf pattern company with a free tunic that I have sewed most of my winter wardrobe from this year.

Love notions is the company and The Laundry Day tee is the pattern in case anyone is interested. Quick sew and fits great.

( I lost 90 pounds this last year and emptied my closet several times)

Well done Katie!

And thanks for the pattern.

• Like 1

Any way you could give me the FB code since I'm not on FB? This pattern looks really good.

Seriously would lose to, but she asks that we don’t.

It is available for sale. I think it’s only 5.00. The size range is huge. I made my 11 year old granddaughter the smallest size and it fits great.

Another vote for J Jill. Some of theirs will come mid thigh.

Also, in US markets, you may want to look for  "short dresses" instead of "tunics." I have a couple of pieces that I got at thrift shops that are like that so I don't know how they were marketed. 

Another vote for short dresses.  I have found some that work well at mid-thigh length with leggings (or jeans).

Have you searched on Amazon for t-shirt dresses?  They have about a billion, and even if you don't find what you're looking for, the reviews (there may be 500 reviews for a $15 dress) are fascinating.  Women post their height, weight, bra size, measurements and, often, pictures of themselves in the item.  The whole community aspect of it--women helping women--really sucks me in.  Anyway, a lot of what they have is on the flowy side, but not everything, and there are definitely some 3/4 sleeve options.

Seriously would lose to, but she asks that we don’t.

It is available for sale. I think it’s only 5.00. The size range is huge. I made my 11 year old granddaughter the smallest size and it fits great.

That's fine about the code…thanks for explaining. 

And thanks for the info about the sizing, it is helpful. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...