Menu

s/o weight loss/maintenance

ktgrok

A couple of weeks?  But if every time I do it I'm in so much pain after I can't do it again for a week, it's pointless.  When I was younger I could recover a lot faster.  That's just not really the case anymore.  I think this can be a huge turn off to people and they'll give up. 

I agree.  I can't afford to be unable to move for a day much less a week.  In my case, I also have preexisting limitations - old injuries that make overdoing it more likely to cause re-injury and permanent damage rather than building up endurance.

I'm doing kick-boxing where my kids do TKD.  The class can be intense but they are very helpful with modifications and supportive of doing it to your own abilities.  This allows me to build up the intensity gradually but certain things I will never be able to do.  An old, broken wrist that didn't heal right means I'll never be able to do squat thrusts or some moves they do with a heavy ball.  But I can modify those so I still get something out of it.  I wear a wrist brace under my wraps and gloves.

• Like 1

This doesn't seem like rocket science to me.  It sounds, to me, largely speaking, like CICO - which is scientifically sound, of course.  I don't know any adult who doesn't know that monitoring intake, eating a reasonable number of calories consistently, exercising regularly, not binging, etc. are required to maintain a healthy weight.

What I'd like to know (and I did skim some of the video so maybe I missed it) was how these particular people managed to stick to a healthy diet and exercise regularly - what was it that increased their willpower, or decreased the need for willpower, so that they could do these things to maintain weight loss?  Just saying, well, the people who maintained weight loss are the ones who had better dietary and activity habits - okay, great.  Why did they have better dietary and activity habits?

• Like 1

What I'd like to know (and I did skim some of the video so maybe I missed it) was how these particular people managed to stick to a healthy diet and exercise regularly - what was it that increased their willpower, or decreased the need for willpower, so that they could do these things to maintain weight loss?  Just saying, well, the people who maintained weight loss are the ones who had better dietary and activity habits - okay, great.  Why did they have better dietary and activity habits?

It seems like they built in the exercise/activity to give themselves wiggle room in the diet, from what I gathered. That was one big strategy. And they monitor and weigh, more perhaps to keep themselves accountable than a matter of will power. 

There advice I've heard from bariatric doctors and patients, regarding long term maintenance, is that no one wants to have to track their food EVERY day, for the rest of their lives. But it is easy to start miscalculating. So picking two days a month to weight and measure and track food can keep you on track. So not a matter of more willpower, as much as just better observations and data. 

But beyond that, we still don't know. As one bariatric doctor, who is also a patient who has been maintaining for 7 years said, "it's true, but not helpful". So he said yeah, if someone had seen him before he had surgery eating a third helping of dinner they might have said, "he needs to not eat a third helping!" and it would have been true, but not helpful. 

so some parts of the info given fall into that category. Other parts, like how much exercise and what kind, may be more helpful. For me, knowing that walking counts, is helpful. Knowing about how many steps they get a day, is helpful. 

• Like 5

I watched the whole video too. Honestly, all I can think about it....ONE HOUR of exercise a day? Do people really do that?

Yes. I work full time and still have children at home plus my elderly mother. I walk briskly for 30 minutes at lunchtime. In the evening I either run, do yoga or walk again, hitting some hills.

• Like 2

Ah, I missed that about picking two days a month to measure/ track. That's a good idea! 

I know that I could exercise an hour a day easily, and I definitely did when we didn't have a car - there was just no way to get around except walking, even just to the bus stop and back was a good ways.  

I've found pretty much my only successful motivator for exercise has been necessity.  I don't like to feel out of breath, so I tend to avoid it otherwise.  Long term I have to change this.

Ah, I missed that about picking two days a month to measure/ track. That's a good idea! 

That was actually said by a different lecturer, but about the same study. And that person also talked about making your OWN list of "rules" or as he put it, red flags. For him, as a patient and surgeon, things like missing 3 days of exercise, or eating more than 5 times a day, or missing too much sleep, are red flags and he knows he needs to quickly get back on track. I like the idea of coming up with your own list of things that you know for YOU are a problem. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 4

I watched the whole video too. Honestly, all I can think about it....ONE HOUR of exercise a day? Do people really do that?

Pretty much all my friends and colleagues manage that, because they choose to make it a priority and build the time into their days.

Some go to the gym or pool before work or in the evening. Some commute by bike, some run, some do yoga. Lots of people walk, either after work or in their lunch break. Many exercise more on weekends, so it averages out if they can't fit it into weekdays. My friends mountain bike, hike, play tennis, race bikes, run marathons. 

My DH commutes by bike unless there is snow or rain. We chose to live within biking distance from work; that was our top criterion for the choice of our house (yes, I realize not everybody can do that). DH's bike commute is 15 minutes one way; if he comes home for lunch, he gets his hour in through his commute alone.

We walk for an hour most evenings after dinner. When the kids still attended school, I walked 45 minutes in the morning to walk them to school and back home. We usually spend an entire weekend day hiking or climbing and have always done that, even while the kids were little. I walked 1,375 miles in 2017. One of my friends took up cycling in her 50s, lost over 100 lbs, and biked over 7,000 miles in 2017.

Some of my colleagues who work full time are in their 70s and one is 81, and even they hit the gym or the pool most days of the week. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

I do think there is a time in life where exercise is harder...for me I'm smack in it. The baby is too awake and alert to say, do some yoga while she lays next to me or whatever....she's crawling all over the place and pulling up. But she isn't always real happy about a ride in the stroller either (my poor neighbors have had to listen to her scream all the way home a few times) and my neighborhood has crappy sidewalks that jostle the kid all over the place even in the jogging stroller with the nice tires. And she's too young for the gym....I mean, technically she isn't but my kids are clingy mama's kids and I think she'll flip out if I try to leave her with a stranger long enough to work out. Once she's old enough to either play with the other kids for 30 minutes (and I can trust them not to break her) or stay in the gym daycare, then we are golden. Thankfully, I'm hoping breastfeeding calories help make up for a bit of the not exercising calories. I've lost the baby weight, and am down 2 pounds below that, but I'm soft and jiggly. I really want to get some yoga or strength training back into my routine, but I still don't really HAVE a routine. My kids are CRAP sleepers, especially now when she's teething, so getting up before her is NOT going to happen...besides we are cosleeping by the morning. Naps are more likely to happen in the car than in the crib. Which is better than the previous screaming in the car routine, but means I don't get a break most days. And if I workout after the kids are all in bed around 9pm I won't sleep. 

I do wear my fitbit and try to get a lot of steps, so I paid attention to that part of the lecture because that is doable for me right now. Even if it's just walking around Walmart for an hour shopping, parking at the back of the parking lot, etc. 

I COULD put her in the carrier, and should, to get some more walking in....taht's not a bad idea. And the dog could use more walks. I just WANT to do yoga, but honestly, I need to remember not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 

When I was working full time I worked out at lunch, pretty much always. That was great, because it was time I wasn't doing anything else anyway. I just ate my lunch at my desk afterward, or drank a smoothie for lunch. 

• Like 3

I do think there is a time in life where exercise is harder...for me I'm smack in it. The baby is too awake and alert to say, do some yoga while she lays next to me or whatever....she's crawling all over the place and pulling up. But she isn't always real happy about a ride in the stroller either (my poor neighbors have had to listen to her scream all the way home a few times) and my neighborhood has crappy sidewalks that jostle the kid all over the place even in the jogging stroller with the nice tires. And she's too young for the gym....I mean, technically she isn't but my kids are clingy mama's kids and I think she'll flip out if I try to leave her with a stranger long enough to work out. Once she's old enough to either play with the other kids for 30 minutes (and I can trust them not to break her) or stay in the gym daycare, then we are golden. Thankfully, I'm hoping breastfeeding calories help make up for a bit of the not exercising calories. I've lost the baby weight, and am down 2 pounds below that, but I'm soft and jiggly. I really want to get some yoga or strength training back into my routine, but I still don't really HAVE a routine. My kids are CRAP sleepers, especially now when she's teething, so getting up before her is NOT going to happen...besides we are cosleeping by the morning. Naps are more likely to happen in the car than in the crib. Which is better than the previous screaming in the car routine, but means I don't get a break most days. And if I workout after the kids are all in bed around 9pm I won't sleep. 

I do wear my fitbit and try to get a lot of steps, so I paid attention to that part of the lecture because that is doable for me right now. Even if it's just walking around Walmart for an hour shopping, parking at the back of the parking lot, etc. 

I COULD put her in the carrier, and should, to get some more walking in....taht's not a bad idea. And the dog could use more walks. I just WANT to do yoga, but honestly, I need to remember not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 

When I was working full time I worked out at lunch, pretty much always. That was great, because it was time I wasn't doing anything else anyway. I just ate my lunch at my desk afterward, or drank a smoothie for lunch. 

Oh, definitely, in some life phases it is difficult.

When mine were little, my exercise was walking and hiking, carrying the baby in the front pouch or the toddler in a backpack carrier. (not "and"; only my DH managed to do both at the same time, LOL). The backpack carrier was the absolute best piece of baby equipment we ever owned, because it allowed us to continue an active lifestyle.

But all things have a season, and your season in life is perhaps the most difficult for exercising.

• Like 1

Oh yeah when my kids were little, I could not go to a gym. Forget it.  I tried a place that had babysitting included and they called me into the babysitting room every 5 minutes because all they do is make sure your kid does not get hurt.  They wouldn't deal with crying, diapers, etc.  I gave up.  That was just too stupid.

I have a lot of allergies and so spending tons of time outdoors when the weather is more hospitable is a problem.  I HOPE the allergy shots work, but that could take a year.

You do something a bit different while recovering. Prior to PT and figuring out how to squat without intense pain (still modified), I would just do what didn’t hurt. For whatever odd reason, box step ups were always ok. So that was my go-to when my legs were dead. When my shoulders and chest are sore and the workout calls for pushups, I do them on the wall. If ring rows are included, I just don’t go so low.

It really did get better.

A bit different?  I could not walk.  I could not move. 

Honestly, I have no desire to live like that.

I hear you. Same here...like can't sit down without using a grab bar, can't bend legs to walk. I don't think most people get that sore, from what I've seen. Or at least, not more than a day or so. For me it's a full week the first time I do a hard workout. 

I don't believe that anyone wants to or needs to intentionally live like that.  The key to exercising is to do it progressively and incrementally. Start out slow and easy, gradually building up muscle mass, aerobic fitness, tolerance to muscle soreness, mental strength and flexibility. If you start out with too much activity, even something simple such as walking, it's going to cause pain somewhere. It may be blisters because our skin isn't used to all the rubbing against the shoe, but the skin soon thickens and toughens and we can soon walk a lot longer. Our muscles are the same way. They have many microscopic tears after exercise that need time to repair. 

Even more important to continuing to exercise is to find something you enjoy doing. So if you've found the type of activity that you like and doesn't cause pain, you'll be much more likely to adhere to it over the long-term.  And you can add in some variety as the years go by to keep things interesting. Many people (including former elite athletes) switch sports/activities entirely but they stay active for a lifetime. 

• Like 9

I don't believe that anyone wants to or needs to intentionally live like that. The key to exercising is to do it progressively and incrementally. Start out slow and easy, gradually building up muscle mass, aerobic fitness, tolerance to muscle soreness, mental strength and flexibility. If you start out with too much activity, even something simple such as walking, it's going to cause pain somewhere. It may be blisters because our skin isn't used to all the rubbing against the shoe, but the skin soon thickens and toughens and we can soon walk a lot longer. Our muscles are the same way. They have many microscopic tears after exercise that need time to repair.

Yes. When I started running, brisk walkers would sometimes overtake me. I was a bit stiff the next day but no more. I tried to build up very slowly and always leave rest days between runs.

• Like 3

Yes. When I started running, brisk walkers would sometimes overtake me. I was a bit stiff the next day but no more. I tried to build up very slowly and always leave rest days between runs.

Running only makes me a little sore. It' weight lifting, squats, etc that kill my muscles. But like I said, I get days and days of bruised type soreness from a regular massage. My muscles are big babies!

I don't believe that anyone wants to or needs to intentionally live like that.  The key to exercising is to do it progressively and incrementally. Start out slow and easy, gradually building up muscle mass, aerobic fitness, tolerance to muscle soreness, mental strength and flexibility. If you start out with too much activity, even something simple such as walking, it's going to cause pain somewhere. It may be blisters because our skin isn't used to all the rubbing against the shoe, but the skin soon thickens and toughens and we can soon walk a lot longer. Our muscles are the same way. They have many microscopic tears after exercise that need time to repair. 

Even more important to continuing to exercise is to find something you enjoy doing. So if you've found the type of activity that you like and doesn't cause pain, you'll be much more likely to adhere to it over the long-term.  And you can add in some variety as the years go by to keep things interesting. Many people (including former elite athletes) switch sports/activities entirely but they stay active for a lifetime. 

Oh yeah that's what I've done.  But anytime I get to talking exercise and those crazy videos with ppl they go on and on about how I just need to suffer through and it'll get better.  Uh..no...I don't.  Geesh

• Like 1

For me, fitting exercise into my day is very hard because I sweat easily and then feel clammy for the rest of the day.

It usually doesn't smell (I use deoderent, TYVM), but those clammy shirts and pants all day feel terrible to me.

And sometimes it does smell a little, and then I am stuck with that, too.

Plus I have PF again, which is so annoying.

Anyway, before I got the PF back ( and I WILL beat it!), I ordered one of those heavy duty kitchen mats, the really cushy kind, a big one--3 X 6 feet.  I have it laid out on the floor of DD's bedroom, since she is away at college, and I can run in place and exercise on it.  It's made for heavy use with shoes on, unlike normal yoga or exercise mats, so it's very tough and I figure it will last a long time.  I started using it yesterday, and it cushions the PF pretty well, better than I would have expected.  Plus I kept the box it came in, so when DD comes home or we have a house guest using her room I will just roll it up and stash it in the box in the garage for a while.  This means that I can get aerobic without equipment in my own house, so inclement weather is no longer going to be able to stand in my way.  

Pretty psyched about this!

• Like 3

Running only makes me a little sore. It' weight lifting, squats, etc that kill my muscles. But like I said, I get days and days of bruised type soreness from a regular massage. My muscles are big babies!

I don't have any experience (I do yoga and gardening for strength) but wouldn't it be possible to build up more slowly to the squats, etc?  I am doing half-squats as part of my running training at the moment...

Edited by Laura Corin

I don't have any experience (I do yoga and gardening for strength) but wouldn't it be possible to build up more slowly to the squats, etc?  I am doing half-squats as part of my running training at the moment...

Oh, of course. And to build up by doing just a few, etc. But I think the initial complaint was that beginner exercise videos and classes don't do that, which may be because most people don't get THAT sore, like some of us. Even a beginner video is too hard for me if I don't want to be unable to walk. 

I did find a few that are exceptions. True Beginner on Daily Burn, and You V 2.0 on Beachbody are actual beginner workouts. 

• Like 3

Yes, I wouldn’t expect it to be everyone’s experience. It is a trend, or a tendency. I can provide some links if it’s something you’re interested in reading more about, but no worries if you’re not.

The difference in the way they affect me is larger than I would think given the difference in the numbers. I realize that’s personal anecdote and not evidence. But there is some interesting evidence being discovered about how much the fiber in your diet affects your health by virtue of the fact that it creates a population of very beneficial bacteria in your gut, bacteria which may help protect us from disease. And I also think that refined versus whole is *part* of the equation. I don’t think it’s the entire answer to obesity, diabetes, etc. (And by “whole†I just mean fruit rather than fruit juice, whole and preferably intact grains rather than refined flours, no white sugar or corn syrup, pretty basic things like that.)

I understand. In fact, I’ve been there. What I discovered much to my own surprise was that for me (and I don’t know that this would be true for you) this was conditional.. If I am eating meat and dairy, then I am starved and shaky and feeling horrible shortly after eating something carby. But when I made the switch to a carb-based, low-fat diet, my carb tolerance actually increased, pretty much the opposite of what you would expect! The first time that a diabetic friend of mine told me that fat raised her blood glucose more than carbs, I thought she was crazy. Turns out, she’s not crazy, and also not alone.

I have a family history of diabetes, and it was my concern about that which sent me on the LC path to begin with. So I just wanted to say I can definitely see where you’re coming from. And if it’s working for you, I’m not going to try to change your mind!

Yes, I definitely see what you’re saying here. I love starchy foods like bread, potatoes, and such. And I absolutely LOVE fruit. I joke sometimes that I didn’t just go vegan, I went frugivore, because I eat 6-9 servings of fruit a day. So veganism is a good fit for my tastebuds. Though, to be honest, I never considered myself to be a huge vegetable person. I still don’t care for leafy greens all that much, but I make myself eat them because Dr. Gregor convinced me that they’re that important. But other than that, my appreciation for vegetables actually increased when I went vegan. I never in a million years would have dreamed that I could be the kind of person who would crave plain, raw carrot sticks, or who would go crazy with happiness when the grocery store has fresh okra, but here I am. :D I think to a certain extend your tastes adapt to your diet. But to what extent I couldn’t say. Some people love (or hate) the same foods their entire lives.

I don't have much to add, but wanted to thank you for your posts! I am  relatively new to eating WFPB  (am not an ethical vegan) and I, like you, have been very surprised that I no longer have episodes of feeling hypoglycemic or shaky after eating or if I don't eat "on time". I've found it quite easy to eat this way and I'm hopeful that it will be a life long habit. I'm the opposite of you, however, in that I love vegetables but have to force myself to eat fruit! LOL!

• Like 1

I don't have much to add, but wanted to thank you for your posts! I am relatively new to eating WFPB (am not an ethical vegan) and I, like you, have been very surprised that I no longer have episodes of feeling hypoglycemic or shaky after eating or if I don't eat "on time". I've found it quite easy to eat this way and I'm hopeful that it will be a life long habit. I'm the opposite of you, however, in that I love vegetables but have to force myself to eat fruit! LOL!

I’m so glad that you’re doing well on it, and that your hypoglycemia has improved! I’ve always had a really bad sweet tooth, but thankfully fruit satisfies it. I had to go on a low-Tyramine diet for my migraines, and that took away all citrus fruits plus pineapple, figs, and raspberries. I nearly cried, and I’m not exaggerating. But thank goodness I can still eat peaches, mangoes, and blackberries, because I really WOULD cry if any of those got taken away! But if you’re not a huge fan, you get the most nutritional bang for your buck with berries, as you probably know. So you could just eat berries, and not really worry about forcing more. Especially since you are good about eating all your veggies! :)

Oh, of course. And to build up by doing just a few, etc. But I think the initial complaint was that beginner exercise videos and classes don't do that, which may be because most people don't get THAT sore, like some of us. Even a beginner video is too hard for me if I don't want to be unable to walk. 

I did find a few that are exceptions. True Beginner on Daily Burn, and You V 2.0 on Beachbody are actual beginner workouts. 

You should always be prepared to adjust the actions, number of repetitions, or weight to make exercise suitable to YOUR body, not trying to find a video that already does that. No mass-produced video is going to be a perfect fit for everyone. 

The same goes for other fitness and martial arts classes - you need to speak up and say when a particular movement causes you pain, and then stop doing that movement. 

• Like 3

You should always be prepared to adjust the actions, number of repetitions, or weight to make exercise suitable to YOUR body, not trying to find a video that already does that. No mass-produced video is going to be a perfect fit for everyone. 

The same goes for other fitness and martial arts classes - you need to speak up and say when a particular movement causes you pain, and then stop doing that movement. 

Yes, but it isn't much fun to be doing that all the time, nor do I always know how to modify the exercise. Mostly, I need fewer reps, which leaves me standing around. When I pay for a "beginner" class there should be someone showing the modifications, at the very least. Now, if it isn't labeled beginner, fine. but plenty are, and are NOT for beginners. 

• Like 1

Yes, but it isn't much fun to be doing that all the time, nor do I always know how to modify the exercise. Mostly, I need fewer reps, which leaves me standing around. When I pay for a "beginner" class there should be someone showing the modifications, at the very least. Now, if it isn't labeled beginner, fine. but plenty are, and are NOT for beginners. 

ITA.  You are paying for guidance, whether it's in a class or a video, and if it says beginners, the modifications should be covered.

There are going to be a range of people who take a typical "beginner" class. If it is an in-person class, you will probably have to adjust your adjustments as your body gets stronger and used to the actions. Just talk to the instructor alone and have them give you some ideas of how to adapt the movements. You surely can't be the only one who needs adaptations. 

If you already know ahead of time that you have some physical limitations, then you may need to look for specific fitness classes for folks with more specialize needs. Maybe your physician has some recommendations. 

Edited by wintermom

I agree. Quality instruction includes instruction in modification. And good instructors in an on-going class notice when there are newcomers and increase the level of instruction in modifications. An instructor who doesn't do that hasn't learned how to be a quality instructor yet. Just like matt whizzes don't always make the best math teachers, just because an instructor can do the movements doesn't mean she's good at teaching. 

In every single class I've taken, the instructor shows modifications (both adjusting to make it easier and adjusting to make it harder.)  My gym is a university fitness center (not the student gym) and all the staff have at least a bachelor's, if not a master's, in exercise physiology or a related field. They always both show and verbally remind people what they can do to adjust. My Zumba instructor (not part of the gym) does the same thing. In fact, when there are newbies in the class, she simplifies her own movements at certain places so newbies can follow along The rest of us keep doing what we've learned. But she also mentions at least a couple times a class what you can do to increase/decrease cardio work. 

• Like 2

For me, fitting exercise into my day is very hard because I sweat easily and then feel clammy for the rest of the day.

It usually doesn't smell (I use deoderent, TYVM), but those clammy shirts and pants all day feel terrible to me.

And sometimes it does smell a little, and then I am stuck with that, too.

Plus I have PF again, which is so annoying.

Anyway, before I got the PF back ( and I WILL beat it!), I ordered one of those heavy duty kitchen mats, the really cushy kind, a big one--3 X 6 feet.  I have it laid out on the floor of DD's bedroom, since she is away at college, and I can run in place and exercise on it.  It's made for heavy use with shoes on, unlike normal yoga or exercise mats, so it's very tough and I figure it will last a long time.  I started using it yesterday, and it cushions the PF pretty well, better than I would have expected.  Plus I kept the box it came in, so when DD comes home or we have a house guest using her room I will just roll it up and stash it in the box in the garage for a while.  This means that I can get aerobic without equipment in my own house, so inclement weather is no longer going to be able to stand in my way.  

Pretty psyched about this!

I like the idea of a mat to exercise on.  Our floors are thin padding and rug over concrete slab so it's very hard (and cold!).  I don't always like to wear my sneakers doing things like yoga or the WiiFit exercises.   Something like that could be left on the floor (unlike a roll up yoga mat) all the time and always be ready.

One of the things I love about my kick-boxing class is they always mention modifications.   They are aware of those of us with specific issues and will help out with them.  For example, I can't do traditional push-ups of any kind because my wrist doesn't bend that way.  Doing them on knuckles hurt, but they recommended I try the handle bars.  I can do push-ups using those.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that KT.  I thought the presentation was very interesting in light of my own experience. I actually have the paperwork to join the registry but haven't gotten around to filling it out. I lost 60 pounds and kept off for a few years now. 

Some things were affirmations of what I believed to be true, but wasn't sure of. I always believed that the benefit of exercise was to fix my internal chemistry (hormones, insulin, etc.) not to burn calories per se and he seemed to confirm that what it does that is important related to weight loss is to alter the metabolism. (It's important for so many other things not related to weight loss, just good physical and cognitive health!)  I think there is often a negative attitude toward exercise set up if a person thinks of exercise as something to do to compensate for a food splurge (it becomes kind of a punishment) or to "earn" a food splurge. I prefer to keep exercise on a parallel track for its own sake.  When I need to compensate for overeating, I shut my food window down early for a few days. (Don't eat past 5:00 pm or so )

What he described people doing for maintenance is what I do, but I also did it in the weight loss phase: I weigh often (daily)  and alter my eating based on what effect it's having on the scale. I was never someone who was going to count calories, carbs, fat grams,etc. I counted up to 9 fruits and veges and that was quite enough for me! I did try to count for a while, but gave up. 

I do exercise 1+ hours most days. . I actually like to exercise, and as I said above, it's good for so many aspects of our health! 

The one thing that is different about me is that I am quite sure I don't eat a lowfat diet (even though I don't count!) . I eat a low aniImal fat diet, but high plant fats: olive oil, avocados, nuts. 

I also don't consider the maintenance phase to be "hard." It requires nonstop vigilance, but it's not hard, per se. I like what I eat and don't feel deprived at all. I focus on nutrition not calories. But I do have to weigh every day. I can gain really quickly, so I have to note the trend early to nip it in the bud. 

ETA: I also share the career change (well in my case an addition) that he mentions: I was certified as a health coach this past October and am trying to get that business up and rolling. I really want to help others who feel stuck. I know in the beginning that I wondered if anyone actually was successful in losing and not regaining because I'd tried and yo-yo'd so many times and physicians were zero help. I don't expect that people will do it "my" way. I truly believe the path to health is individual for everyone. However, what I think that it might help others to know that I've BTDT and finally pulled if off in my 50s. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 6

I also don't consider the maintenance phase to be "hard." It requires nonstop vigilance, but it's not hard, per se. I like what I eat and don't feel deprived at all. I focus on nutrition not calories. But I do have to weigh every day. I can gain really quickly, so I have to note the trend early to nip it in the bud. 

I think it's hard to stay vigilant. I'm basically lazy, but I have an inner drive to move and I enjoy a lot of physical activities. It takes commitment to carve out time to stay active when there are a million other distractions. 

• Like 1

I think it's hard to stay vigilant. I'm basically lazy, but I have an inner drive to move and I enjoy a lot of physical activities. It takes commitment to carve out time to stay active when there are a million other distractions. 

I agree that the vigilance is work. What is not "hard" though, to me is that I have found exercise that I enjoy (like you!) and I enjoy the food that is actually good for my body. I don't  miss the other stuff. I will eat it though if it's stuck in front of me as on holidays, but I don't miss it day to day. So I would call my new lifestyle very enjoyable. I have lots of energy and feel great. I love feeling strong. 

• Like 3

Whoa, you guys have muscle soreness for a week or two after an intense workout? I don’t think I’ve ever had it last longer than four days, and I thought that was pretty awful!

I used to get sore for a couple of days after a workout, but I rarely ever have any muscle soreness anymore and I workout hard. The only time I've had muscle soreness in the last 18 months have been times when I've stopped taking my magnesium supplements or when I've been off my keto eating. 

• Like 1

I agree that the vigilance is work. What is not "hard" though, to me is that I have found exercise that I enjoy (like you!) and I enjoy the food that is actually good for my body. I don't  miss the other stuff. I will eat it though if it's stuck in front of me as on holidays, but I don't miss it day to day. So I would call my new lifestyle very enjoyable. I have lots of energy and feel great. I love feeling strong. 

Yes, it's very enjoyable and self-rewarding to feel good about the positives one does, such as exercising and eating well.  The part that is hard work and tough to overcome is when life gets really busy, finding time and energy to exercise and shop then prepare healthy foods is very challenging. This is the part that defeats a lot of people with really good intentions and motivation, I think. And trying to tell them that maintaining their weight for the next 20 - 40 years is going to be easy (or not hard) is just not realistic. There is a reason that only 10,000 people from 300 million people in the US are on their registry. 

By the way, the man presenting the study didn't look all that fit to me. Is he exercising an hour a day every single day? ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Yes, it's very enjoyable and self-rewarding to feel good about the positives one does, such as exercising and eating well.  The part that is hard work and tough to overcome is when life gets really busy, finding time and energy to exercise and shop then prepare healthy foods is very challenging. This is the part that defeats a lot of people with really good intentions and motivation, I think. And trying to tell them that maintaining their weight for the next 20 - 40 years is going to be easy (or not hard) is just not realistic. There is a reason that only 10,000 people from 300 million people in the US are on their registry. 

By the way, the man presenting the study didn't look all that fit to me. Is he exercising an hour a day every single day? ;)

I think we just use the word "hard" differently. I would call the bolded a need to maintain focus and continue to plan to solve obstacles that come up.   And I can see why that could be called "hard." I was thinking of "hard" more in terms of eternally uncomfortable, always missing something, always having to do something you dislike. 

I think we just use the word "hard" differently. I would call the bolded a need to maintain focus and continue to plan to solve obstacles that come up.   And I can see why that could be called "hard." I was thinking of "hard" more in terms of eternally uncomfortable, always missing something, always having to do something you dislike. 

To me, the biggest "hard" is when one's health has deteriorated so much that walking is a big challenge. For some people, they face this challenge daily through no fault of their own. I want to do everything in my power and control to avoid the stage where walking is crushingly hard.

• Like 1