Menu

Really supportive boys shoe

bethben

Long story short, my ds has horrible deformed feet. At his orthopedic visit yesterday, they mentioned that his braces may do more harm that good at this point. He just needs a supportive shoe with some good cushion. I’m thinking a high top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did the orthopedist have any suggestions? If not, take him to a pedorthist or podiatrist. I wore braces on my feet as a child that over-corrected the problem. I wear custom insoles now that are not only addressing my plantar fasciitis (excellent support), but are also correcting my "over-correction" and have diminished hip pain as well. They are wonderful! A podiatrist or a physical therapist can probably give you specific recommendations if the orthopedist doesn't. 

A high top isn't necessarily supportive, so I don't suggest limiting yourself to that idea. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

He has a really severe pronation. He has AFOs and they are worried he’s going to get some skin breakdown because his feet are putting so

much pressure in certain areas. Ds doesn’t walk and we really only want to keep standing transfers. So, he’s not on his feet much anyway. We just need some traction and a really cushy base with some support.

It may be something like the above. Sadly, I think his shoe size is a boys sized 3 or 4. He’s 5’4†and 18 years old. But the surgery to fix his feet is brutal so we’re just going with what he’s got and any ability to stand

It may be something like the above. Sadly, I think his shoe size is a boys sized 3 or 4. He’s 5’4†and 18 years old. But the surgery to fix his feet is brutal so we’re just going with what he’s got and any ability to stand

Here is the same shoe in bigger kid sizes: https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/saucony-kids-grade-school-cohesion-10-running-shoes-17sauychsn10grylmbgs/17sauychsn10grylmbgs?recid=Product_PageElement_product_rr_2_4001_&rrec=true

My younger son has worn that shoe the last couple years and we have been pretty happy with it. My older son has worn ASICS, this style: https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/asics-kids-grade-school-gel-contend-4-running-shoes-17asiyglcntd4blgrbgs/17asiyglcntd4blgrbgs

You may need to check Zappos or Roadrunner Sports for sizes/colors for him.

Brooks makes a fantastic shoe for kids too but it is pretty pricy. It seems like support in a lot of the kid shoes is skimped on but we have had good luck with those particular shoes.

Pediped has some styles for bigger kids that have the American Podiatric Medical Association seal of approval. Not all the styles come in bigger sizes but some do. Here’s a link: https://www.pediped.com/BigKid.aspx?gender=7a2f2ef7-d9eb-44af-a85b-a00fd6f854ed

My son has severe pronation and he in particular has found one pair of shoes that works GREAT for him.  They are expensive, but it doesn't matter to us because they help him so much.

https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/brooks-beast-16-mens-running-shoe.html

Also, on this website you can search for pronation and find shoes that are designed to help for over-pronation.  I have found it to be a very helpful website for buying shoes for him.