Menu

Real non-stick frying pan?

Night Elf

The last two pans I've purchased from Walmart that said 'non-stick' were false advertising. My eggs stick to the bottom of the pan without oil/butter. I want a real non-stick frying pan big enough for 3 fried eggs whatever size that is. My mom got hers off tv. I think it's a green pan. If I look for that, I don't want a knock-off that may not work. Suggestions?

• Like 1

It is my understanding that prepping a cast iron pay to be seasoned and maintaining it requires work. I don't have the patience for something like that. I just want a simple, hopefully light pan, that I can cook in without oil.

It took a little work for one day and it's super easy and fast to take care of them now...no real maintenance. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about cast iron. It just takes a few seconds to wash it after each use. Nothing sticks at all so nothing to scrub off. Mine take no longer to care for than my non stick calphalon and t-fal.

• Like 4

It is my understanding that prepping a cast iron pay to be seasoned and maintaining it requires work. I don't have the patience for something like that. I just want a simple, hopefully light pan, that I can cook in without oil.

Iron skillets aren't that bad, but I do not like cooking eggs in them. I do use a nonstick for those. No great recommendation though.

Cast iron - Clean with salt and water. Use oil in them every so often. If not you will have to season every so often. Seriously this could be as simple as cooking something fatty (bacon or something like that) and then you don't have to worry about it again for a while. 

You can get a small skillet. I have one... but I have several other pieces. The small one shouldn't cost you much and you can try it out to see if it is right for you. 

• Like 2

My favorite omelette pan is a $25 ceramic nonstick pan from Walmart. I don't think they sell that exact one anymore, but ceramic lined pans are great. You STILL have to use non-stick spray that is technically oil, and I've gone through a few because someone in the house didn't believe me when I said to NEVER heat those pans over medium-high or the pan will develop pitting and be ruined.  But anyway, the only time I've ever gotten magazine or pinterest-perfect omelettes (perfectly round, perfectly cooked, perfectly filled and flipped) was in that pan.  It even works with egg white ONLY omelettes!

• Like 1

I despise my cast iron pan. It is just way too much work to take care of. Futzy, fussy, annoying, heavy, etc. Hate it.

I got a large non stick skillet from IKEA that I love. Apparently everyone else loves it too because it is always out of stock when I’ve tried to buy a second one.

I really only use a frying pan to fry eggs sunny side up and sautee vegetables. Cast iron seems a bit heavy duty for that type of use. 

Some of these other pans, like the copper pans, get really mixed reviews. People are saying they use cooking spray and it works great. Well, the point I like about a non-stick pan is that I don't have to use cooking spray anymore. If I have to use it, I might as well keep using the pans I have which are fine. 

I really only use a frying pan to fry eggs sunny side up and sautee vegetables. Cast iron seems a bit heavy duty for that type of use. 

Some of these other pans, like the copper pans, get really mixed reviews. People are saying they use cooking spray and it works great. Well, the point I like about a non-stick pan is that I don't have to use cooking spray anymore. If I have to use it, I might as well keep using the pans I have which are fine. 

I've never heard of a pan that doesn't require cooking spray for over-easy eggs. I don't think they exist. Sometimes people saute veggies or something in a tablespoon of water instead of the spray, but for that you have to quickly stir the food so it doesn't stick and burn. When people say "Without oil" they generally do not mean "without any spray" with regard to eggs.

ETA:  You could poach an egg in water instead, if the goal is no added fat.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3

A quick spray of Pam adds such a small amount of oil that it's probably your easiest solution. Or you could poach eggs. I have an egg poacher that I can use without oil and even though they stick, I can scrape them out without damaging the soft yolk.  Or maybe soft boiled eggs. 

I have used pans that you could use without spray or oil to fry an egg sunny side up.

I just don’t want one for myself because I don’t want whatever the nonstick surface is made out of leaching into my family’s food.

For sunny side up eggs without a broken yoke, we heat a cast iron pan first, then add butter and then the egg.

I never have trouble flipping it.

For me, I feel safer about butter and iron than I do about Teflon.

• Like 2

I've never heard of a pan that doesn't require cooking spray for over-easy eggs. I don't think they exist. Sometimes people saute veggies or something in a tablespoon of water instead of the spray, but for that you have to quickly stir the food so it doesn't stick and burn. When people say "Without oil" they generally do not mean "without any spray" with regard to eggs.

ETA: You could poach an egg in water instead, if the goal is no added fat.

I have used pans that you could use without spray or oil to fry an egg sunny side up.

I just don’t want one for myself because I don’t want whatever the nonstick surface is made out of leaching into my family’s food.

For sunny side up eggs without a broken yoke, we heat a cast iron pan first, then add butter and then the egg.

I never have trouble flipping it.

For me, I feel safer about butter and iron than I do about Teflon.

I use a seasoned carbon steel pan, even more slippery than my seasoned cast iron. But I still use butter for an omelette or fried egg. I can't remember all the details about teflon/non-stick pans, but I threw mine away. (At one point, when I was considering a pet bird, the shop owner emphasized that birds could not be in same room with teflon cooking. Made me think....)

For no fat, I do poached eggs. There is an excellent how to guide on kitchn.com. You can also bake eggs in a shallow dish on a bed of Spinach, whatever, or cook them in a shakshuka or omurice.

Edited by Alessandra