Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW48: Bookish notes and Birthdays

Robin M

Remembering our cemetery conversation from a week or so ago:

199 Cemeteries to See Before You Die

I perused this in Barnes and Noble the other day. It looks rather good!

It's an inadvertently funny title too. One assumes that after your dead you'll only be seeing once cemetery.

One of the coolest cemeteries we saw was in Dublin. The Glasnevin. We took a tour and everything.

Darn. My library doesn't have the book and it doesn't seem to be available through ILL.

• Like 7

Wow, congrats on 125 books. 

125/125 books :)
https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/6886062

But some of them were less then 100 pages (compensating my 400+ Pages) books

That cemetery book looks like a great gift for my mom's b-day coming up.   

I'm reading several books right now, have a pile of library books waiting on my shelf, just returned one I never got around to reading, and what do I do? Check out more books on a whim and come home with a stack I don't have time to read. 

• Like 8

I think I read all the Kinsey Millhone novels up to M or N. They were some of my favorites but then either my tastes changed or they became a little repetitive. I'll have to read Z when it comes out and see how it ends for her. 

This is interesting also for Kinsey fans. It's bits from her journal as she was writing different books.

http://www.suegrafton.com/journal-notes.php

I haven't yet read anything by her, but I was happy to get her first book on sale today. 

• Like 6

I'm reading several books right now, have a pile of library books waiting on my shelf, just returned one I never got around to reading, and what do I do? Check out more books on a whim and come home with a stack I don't have time to read.

For me, there’s a teensy bit of pleasure from having a large stack of unread books to choose from. It’s a bit like picking from a box of chocolates. What if you don’t like the first one? Well, set it aside and select another.

• Like 9

Whew! Finally popping back in after being away most of this semester. My co-op classes really kicked me for a loop! ;)

For my two grade 7/8 classes I re-read:

- The Cay

- A Wrinkle in Time

- Bull Run

For my grade 8/9 class I re-read:

- The Rumpelstiltskin Problem

- To Kill a Mockingbird

- The Giver

We had some great discussion at times, and different students really connected with different books. :)

For personal reading, I mostly only have managed to squeeze in some light fluff reading on the side during the semester, but managed a lot of Medieval mysteries:

- all 11 of the Lady Appleton mysteries (Emerson)

- the first 3 of the Doomsday mysteries (Marston)

And I am almost done with the Paper Magician trilogy (Holmberg). A great idea for the world of the book, but I'm really coming to thoroughly dislike the protagonist. And the writing is lazy and not that great. :(

And, after many many years, finally got to Slaughterhouse Five (Vonnegut) -- wow! DS#2 read it this summer while he was working his wildland firefighting season, and passed it on to me. While it does feel like it is "of its time" (late 1960s), it's a bang-up job of holding together and feeling very surreal. I really enjoyed it! :)

In case I don't make it back until after the holidays, have a lovely holiday season, everyone! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 9

And I am almost done with the Paper Magician trilogy (Holmberg). A great idea for the world of the book, but I'm really coming to thoroughly dislike the protagonist. And the writing is lazy and not that great. :(

I’ve only read the first book, but I agree. I liked the ideas and spent several hours imagining all the ways it could be used, but I wished there was more to the story. When the two main characters proclaimed their love for each other, I couldn’t help but wonder why?

• Like 5

Here's a Kindle book that is currently free that I enjoyed reading ~

This Crumbling Pageant  by Patricia Burroughs

"Persephone Fury is the Dark daughter, the one they hide.

England, 1811. Few are aware of a hidden magical England, a people not ruled by poor mad George, but by the dying King Pellinore of the House of Pendragon.

The Furys are known for their music, their magic, and their historic role as kingmakers. When Fury ambitions demand a political marriage, Persephone is drugged and presented to Society—

Only to be abducted from the man she loves by the man she loathes.

But devious and ruthless, Persephone must defy ancient prophecy and seize her own fate.

Get swept away into the first book of a dark fantasy series combining swashbuckling adventure, heart-pounding romance, and plot-twisting suspense."

This historical romance set in Rome sounds intriguing ~ Dark Heart  by Elizabeth Ellen Carter 

By the author of Wool ~  Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue (The Bern Saga Book 1)  by Hugh C. Howey

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Waving back at Jenn and Lori!   

:seeya:

Don't work and play too hard!  

Now I'm super curious about the books people are hiding in their bedrooms! My nightstand is stacked high with books that I intend to read very very soon. So soon that I've had to start dusting them. I need more time for reading!!!

I have a few racier books that I'd prefer my hormonal teenage son didn't read.  I remember quite clearly sneaking into my mom's closet when I was a teenager to read her books when she wasn't home.  :lol:   

Thank you for posting and I'm glad you are diving into Kinsey's world.  I've been delving into the series randomly and its always interesting to see how crimes are solved, without technology, lots of running and driving around.  

125/125 books :)
https://www.goodreads.com/user_challenges/6886062

But some of them were less then 100 pages (compensating my 400+ Pages) books

Yeah and congratulations! 

I have been trying to figure out how to EASILY share a list of my Asia plans for next year. I think this might be the easiest way for everyone. Think of it as my Dream List ;) ..some I have already read but plan to read more by the author. If I manage six of these I will be pleased.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51042385?shelf=asia

Great list and I want half the books on the list. Qiu Xiaolong is a favorite of mine and I've read the first 5 books in his detective series so far.  Two more going on my pile to read for Asian read. 

The Girl with Seven Names on sale today. 

9780007554850.jpg

Thank you!  I also bought it immediately.   :thumbup1:

I just about have 2018 Bingo totally figured out. Thanks ladies for the suggestions.  I'm thinking the bookology spell it out challenge could be the  last names of sleuths both male and female and have a choice to do one or the other each month.  Perhaps call it sleuthology.  Yes? No?  Maybe?  Any suggestions? 

• Like 6

I had to look up what sleuth means...

Just for my vocab: what associaton does the word have?

Is it speaking language?

Does it have a negative sound? Or positive ?

It’s positive, I think. It isn’t a bad word. American slang for searching for clues, solving puzzles. Kind of goes with old fashioned private eye which is also slang for detective. Instead of saying, I’m going detecting, it could be said, I’m sleuthing. It’s an old word. Not necessarily a common usage word these days. Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

Thank you for posting and I'm glad you are diving into Kinsey's world.  I've been delving into the series randomly and its always interesting to see how crimes are solved, without technology, lots of running and driving around.  

Robin, it may be a while before I get around to reading it. I wish that I had more time to read! Don't we all :D? I'm a book hoarder. When I see a good deal on amazon or elsewhere and if the book interests me, I grab it while I can. 

Thank you. I just bought it. It's been on my TBR list for about a year.

You're welcome. Glad that you got it at last. I'm looking forward to reading it as well. 

If anyone's interested in reading about North Korea, I read Nothing to Envy a few years ago and it was definitely worth 5-stars for me. It's the sort of book that remains with you for a while. Some of you may have already read it. It's not on sale at the moment.

9780385523912.jpg

• Like 7

I had to look up what sleuth means...

Just for my vocab: what associaton does the word have?

Is it speaking language?

Does it have a negative sound? Or positive ?

It’s positive, I think. It isn’t a bad word. American slang for searching for clues, solving puzzles. Kind of goes with old fashioned private eye which is also slang for detective. Instead of saying, I’m going detecting, it could be said, I’m sleuthing. It’s an old word. Not necessarily a common usage word these days.

Loesje, This article might be helpful. http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/sleuthing101.html

Many here were huge Nancy Drew fans. My mother loved them, I collected them as a 10 yo and still own my early copies. I passed my love on to Dd. When I hear the word sleuth I instantly associate it with Nancy Drew.

• Like 8

I finished book #51 - Allie and Bea by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I love CRH books especially when listened to while driving solo. 

This story is about an older (70's) woman who is scammed out of her social security check and savings and has to go live in her husband's bakery van in order to survive. The second character is a teenage girl who is placed into 'the system' after her parents are arrested for tax fraud. The book chronicles their separate experiences and events that lead up to their eventual meeting.

As usual, the ending is heartwarming and uplifting.

• Like 6

Loesje, This article might be helpful. http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/sleuthing101.html

Many here were huge Nancy Drew fans. My mother loved them, I collected them as a 10 yo and still own my early copies. I passed my love on to Dd. When I hear the word sleuth I instantly associate it with Nancy Drew.

Ah, yes. My earliest amateur detective novels were Nancy Drew books.

When I think of the word I think of an amateur detective. Miss Marple is a sleuth. Flavia De Luce is a sleuth. Hercule Poirot isn't because he's a professional. And it definitely doesn't describe police department detectives. That's my definition of sleuth though, not the official one. Officially it's just another word for detective but to me it means amateur.

• Like 9

Ah, yes. My earliest amateur detective novels were Nancy Drew books.

When I think of the word I think of an amateur detective. Miss Marple is a sleuth. Flavia De Luce is a sleuth. Hercule Poirot isn't because he's a professional. And it definitely doesn't describe police department detectives. That's my definition of sleuth though, not the official one. Officially it's just another word for detective but to me it means amateur.

:iagree:  Nancy Drew, who brushed her hair til it snapped with electricity, was (and still is, bless her) a sleuth. That brushing her hair line is one that has stuck with me all these years. Like static cling! I still have my copy of The Secret of the Old Clock, which I got for Christmas waaaaay back in 1970 or 71.

Kinsey Milhone, of the A is for Alibi series, is a licensed private detective. I have really enjoyed the series, and have stayed with them since I started reading them before kids. I've really enjoyed the last few, and will be sad to see the series come to an end with Z.  Sue Grafton has kept them set in the 80s, and Kinsey is still typing up note cards, flipping through phone directories, making calls at pay phones, and using microfiche at the library. It's like the movie War Games -- I remember it as a recent movie, but when we showed it to our teens 10 years ago we were so shocked at how much has changed sol quickly. Ferris Bueller ( I mean Matthew Broderick) is using library card catalogs, and ancient computer modems where the phone receiver to be put in a special cradle so one computer could dial up another computer. Wow.

• Like 8

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31702740-gone-to-dust

I just finished one of the best mysteries I have read in quite awhile. Gone to Dust by Matt Goldman is hopefully the first in a new suspense series with a good main character for the private detective. Definitely professional so not sleuth worthy. ;). This book was unique because the entire scene is covered in dust from hundreds of vacuum bags. How does one sift through that? I will tell you the starting point just because it came up really early in the book............I will leave a blank for people who don’t want to look.........

You only look at suspects in the DNA system. Clever right?

• Like 6

Dang, that’s right. I must have had Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys hanging out in my subconscious. I introduced James to the Hardy Boys a few years ago. He wasn’t too terribly impressed. 😄

Okay, so no sleuthology. Plus I just looked it up and found out the word is trademarked. 🙀

Jenn, great that you mentioned War Games. Hubby mentioned getting it to watch with James. Thanks for the reminder so I could put it on our Christmas list. 🌷

Negin, thanks for the link to Nothing to Envy. Going on my wishlist.

Mum, Gone To Dust sounds intriguing. Will check it out.

Decided on my Z read for Topaz - Vickie Peterson’s Signs of the Zodiak: the Scent of Shadows.

• Like 5

Okay, so no sleuthology. Plus I just looked it up and found out the word is trademarked. 🙀

:eek:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31702740-gone-to-dust

I just finished one of the best mysteries I have read in quite awhile. Gone to Dust by Matt Goldman is hopefully the first in a new suspense series with a good main character for the private detective. Definitely professional so not sleuth worthy. ;). This book was unique because the entire scene is covered in dust from hundreds of vacuum bags. How does one sift through that? I will tell you the starting point just because it came up really early in the book............I will leave a blank for people who don’t want to look.........

Thanks. I just put the Kindle version on hold at my library.

Speaking of mysteries and detectives, has anyone heard of or read any of John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series? At Thanksgiving my DIL's sister and I were talking about books and mysteries, and she recommended this series. I put the first one on hold to see if I like it. Actually they seem like they might be thrillers, but the protagonist is a police detective. 

• Like 5

Just from what I’ve read this year, they might like The Big Short by Michael Lewis (who also wrote Liars Poker) and The Quants. I especially enjoyed a story from The Quants where the quantitative analysts were tired of losing Liar’s Poker (originally a trader’s bluffing game for the serial numbers on $20 bills). The quantitative analysts (“Quantsâ€) were terrible at the game until one went home, figured out the various probabilities for the occurrence of numbers, and memorized them. The next time Liars Poker was played, the traders lost and with the sharing of the probabilities across the industry, the game disappeared from trading floors.

My Overdrive has it so I have put it on hold, both print and audio. Both dc’s will br on break for much of December so they should have a chance to read it. It’s perfect because it is mathy so even ds might like it.

Dang, that’s right. I must have had Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys hanging out in my subconscious. I introduced James to the Hardy Boys a few years ago. He wasn’t too terribly impressed. 😄

Jenn, great that you mentioned War Games. Hubby mentioned getting it to watch with James. Thanks for the reminder so I could put it on our Christmas list. 🌷

Negin, thanks for the link to Nothing to Envy. Going on my wishlist.

Mum, Gone To Dust sounds intriguing. Will check it out.

Decided on my Z read for Topaz - Vickie Peterson’s Signs of the Zodiak: the Scent of Shadows.

My ds did not like Hardy Boys either. I think it is a guy thing because I liked Hardy Boys (Dd didn’t).

You will enjoy War Games again. We watched it a couple of years ago and it occasionally still makes it into conversation because of the bad tech. It’s also not a bad cautionary tale which is why we pulled it out.....bought a new one. At one time dh had it on Beta.......it’s that old.

Kathy, I thought I had you in the multi quote but I guess not. Pretty sure you will enjoy Gone to Dust. It’s definitely in the area where our reading overlap. I think I have read the first couple of the John Sanford Prey books. I can’t really remember them really but I think my not reading the more recent ones probably had more to do with availability and my move than a conscious decision. I think they might be pretty intense in places but that’s it for the memory.

• Like 4

Speaking of mysteries and detectives, has anyone heard of or read any of John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series? At Thanksgiving my DIL's sister and I were talking about books and mysteries, and she recommended this series. I put the first one on hold to see if I like it. Actually they seem like they might be thrillers, but the protagonist is a police detective. 

I've read a couple books in the series and have three more sitting on my shelves.  I really like Sandford's writing style and the main character has a sense of humor, so there are light hearted moments mixed in with the mysteries.

• Like 4

From my wanderings around the web:

Bookriot's 20 of the best historical mystery books

Waterstone's set to open 5 new branches

10 Best Haruki Murakami Books

Fantasy books where magic turns out to be math

100 Must Read Mystery and Crime Reads  around the world 

e.e. cummings on the Courage to be Yourself: Art, Life and being unafraid to feel

Have fun following literary rabbit trails!!!!    

:wub:

Which brings me to the question of the day: 

What are the names of three exotic countries you would like to visit?

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

. At one time dh had it on Beta.......it’s that old.

OMG!! Beta!! We had quite a collection of movies on Beta!! It was so sad when we finally had to get rid of them. We nursed our Beta player along for years and years, long after everyone in the US had gone VHS.  And now so much is digital that we are reluctant to get a movie on DVD, only to discover that Netflix or Amazon Prime doesn't have what we want when we want it. Like War Games or Jaws.

I've added Gone to Dust and the Lucas Davenport books to my "want to read" list. I need you two, Lady Florida and Mumto2, on speed dial when I'm in the library looking for a mystery. :lol:   

• Like 6

Perhaps this will be of interest to those dealing with Lyme disease ~ Ten Leading Doctors Share Top Lyme Treatments in New Audio Book

Other bookish posts ~

9 Audiobook Narrators That Are Incomparable Storytellers

Chronicle Books has a sale that will end on December 15:

"Shop now for gifts and reads and get 35% off and free shipping with code GIVEBOOKS.

Plus, every book you buy is matched with a donation to First Book, a nonprofit that routes books to the children who need them most."

Some currently free Kindle books ~

for one day only: Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser 

Western: The Hardest Ride  by Gordon L. Rottman

mystery: Barking up the Wrong Bakery  by Stella St. Claire

LGBT: Blood & Thunder  by Charlie Cochet

The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales  by The Brothers Grimm

paranormal mystery: Witch Slapped  by Dakota Cassidy

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 4

Which brings me to the question of the day:

What are the names of three exotic countries you would like to visit?

My dream vacation is a cruise around Australia and New Zealand with a stop over in Singapore. So that's my three all in one go!

My choices probably aren't the most exotic but I don't enjoy beach holidays where you just stay at a beach resort much and all the super exotic places could think of are beaches.

• Like 5

Perhaps this will be of interest to those dealing with Lyme disease ~ Ten Leading Doctors Share Top Lyme Treatments in New Audio Book

Other bookish posts ~

9 Audiobook Narrators That Are Incomparable Storytellers

Chronicle Books has a sale that will end on December 15:

"Shop now for gifts and reads and get 35% off and free shipping with code GIVEBOOKS.

Plus, every book you buy is matched with a donation to First Book, a nonprofit that routes books to the children who need them most."

Thank you Karen!  Every time you post lists, I end  up adding two or three more books to my tbr pile and following delightful rabbit trails.   :thumbup1:

My choices for exotic places  -- Amazon jungle, Egypt, and Jerusalem. 

• Like 5

OMG!! Beta!! We had quite a collection of movies on Beta!! It was so sad when we finally had to get rid of them. We nursed our Beta player along for years and years, long after everyone in the US had gone VHS.  And now so much is digital that we are reluctant to get a movie on DVD, only to discover that Netflix or Amazon Prime doesn't have what we want when we want it. Like War Games or Jaws.

I've added Gone to Dust and the Lucas Davenport books to my "want to read" list. I need you two, Lady Florida and Mumto2, on speed dial when I'm in the library looking for a mystery. :lol:   

We actually had someone bring in a Beta player as well as an 8 track tape player not long ago to repair.  Fortunately we were able to find the parts needed.  I think my dad still has my mom's collection of 8 tracks stored away somewhere in his garage.  :001_wub:

• Like 5

We actually had someone bring in a Beta player as well as an 8 track tape player not long ago to repair. Fortunately we were able to find the parts needed. I think my dad still has my mom's collection of 8 tracks stored away somewhere in his garage. :001_wub:

I am so impressed that you were able to fix a Beta. Dh will be so jealous he loved his Beta....he bought it when he was a very broke student and it moved with us for almost 20 years before it didn’t work anymore. Our current worry are our vhs home movies of trips, kids, etc. Hubby just got a device to put them onto dvd.

That’s so sweet that your dad has all your mom’s 8 tracks still.

I am still reading along in Sarum. The Tudor portion took forever. Currently on Cromwell. I am now using it as my carry along book thanks to Kindle. I WILL finish it before Sunday. I have been reading it on and off for months now! Cannot wait to be done.

• Like 4

Here's a list of what I read in the past ten days or so ~

Books read:

A Certain Magic by Mary Balogh

Ghost Planet by Sharon Lynn Fisher

Sunder (Darksoul, Book 1) by Lexi Ander (m/m)

Love Can’t Conquer by Kim Fielding (m/m)

Love is Heartless by Kim Fielding (m/m)

The New Wolf by RJ Scott (m/m)

Hour of the Lion by Cherise Sinclair

re-read My Reckless Heart by Jo Goodman

Novella/stories read:

The Substitute Guest by Mary Balogh

A Waltz Among the Stars by Mary Balogh

The Light Within by Carla Kelly

Let Nothing You Dismay by Carla Kelly

A Christmas for Oscar by Alex Whitehall (m/m)

God Rest Ye Merry Vampires by Liv Rancourt

Soldiering On by Aislinn Kearns

Human Frailties by Jaye McKenna (m/m)

m/m refers to a male/male romance.  Most of those so labeled have adult content as does the Cherise Sinclair book.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Some currently free Kindle books ~

for one day only:  The Warden (The Chronicles of Barsetshire Book 1)  by Anthony Trollope

self-help:  Mindfulness Meets Emotional Awareness: 7 Steps to Learn the Language of your Emotions...  by Jenny Florence

mystery:  Love,Murder and a Good Bottle of Wine (Wagner & Callender Mystery Book 1) by Chris Phipps

Code Name: Camelot - An Action Thriller  by David Archer

paranormal:   Romancing the Null  by Tina Gower

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I've actually been busy at work this week (!) so I haven't had time to catch up on this thread as usual.  Also less time for reading.

Last week I finished three books:

Hummingbirds by Joshua Gaylord - although I could appreciate the writing style at certain times, and even enjoyed a couple of pages here and there, I found the book mostly unpleasant to read given the focus on the older male teachers at a private girls prep school in NYC and their views of the teenage girls they taught/the other female teachers/other women in the book.  This was one of my Shelf books and it will not be going back on the shelf.

The New Morningside Papers by Peter Gzowski - Gzowski was a morning radio show host on CBC, the public radio station in Canada and he was the soundtrack of my youth as my family only listened to CBC.  This is a collection of letters, poems, stories, essays etc that he read, received or wrote during the mid 1980s.  It is the perfect bathroom reading material and is about as Canadian as all get out.  I had the whole series of books based on his radio show that he published I've decided to read through them and then divest myself of them as I'm trying hard not to hoard too many books.  

At Home in the World by Tsh Oxenreider - I took this out of the library, having heard of it somewhere (here?).  Did not particularly enjoy it.  Found it a bit on the shallow side.  Or maybe I'm just jealous - she took her family on a trip around the world for a year, which I would love to do!  Anyway, not something I found particularly engaging or enlightening.

I'm currently reading my Prime Number book and an A.J. Jacobs book I picked because I knew it would be mildly amusing and easy to read.  

If anyone has any recommendations for Steampunk books or Ancients, I'd happily hear them.  Still really hoping to pull a Bingo miracle in December!

• Like 5

If anyone has any recommendations for Steampunk books or Ancients, I'd happily hear them. Still really hoping to pull a Bingo miracle in December!

Both the books I read for Steampunk and Ancients were 5-star reads for me so I'll definitely recommend them.

For Steampunk I read The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison, and for Ancients I read (or actually, listened to - the audio was great) The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.

I've actually read other books this year is that could have been sorted into one of those two categories if I hadn't already checked them off, but those two were actually by far my favorites that would fit.

• Like 5

Both the books I read for Steampunk and Ancients were 5-star reads for me so I'll definitely recommend them.

For Steampunk I read The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison, and for Ancients I read (or actually, listened to - the audio was great) The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni.

I've actually read other books this year is that could have been sorted into one of those two categories if I hadn't already checked them off, but those two were actually by far my favorites that would fit.

Since I've noticed that I've enjoyed a lot of books you've read this year, I am going to take you on your word for this!!

Bonus: the public library has both of these available.  I've put them on hold so I should get them soon.

• Like 5

I just finished a book I quite enjoyed; I think some others here might also like it.  It's book two in a series, and you'd definitely want to read the series in order.  I'm now looking forward to the third book which is expected out next year. 

Foretold (A Ghost Gifts Novel, Book 2)   by Laura Spinella

"Laura Spinella’s Ghost Gifts trilogy continues as Aubrey’s otherworldly talents—and a visit from a former lover—threaten to tear apart her family.

A mysterious death in a muddy swamp, missing children in different states…psychic Aubrey Ellis and her partner, investigative reporter Levi St John, have their hands full. The added strain of raising their son, who struggles with his own psychic gift, pushes life to the brink of collapse.

Enter Zeke Dublin—Aubrey’s first love from her carnival past. Tensions escalate when it’s clear that the attraction between them is alive and well. But as Levi discovers disturbing clues about the body pulled from the swamp, he begins to suspect Zeke’s sudden presence is more than coincidence.

As Aubrey’s uncanny abilities take an unsettling turn, she fears that this time her own child is in danger. Who can Aubrey trust to help solve the unknowns surrounding her life—the father of her son, or a man who’s always understood the deepest secrets of her psychic gift?"

And a bookish post ~

10 Awesome True Stories About Weird Science  by Kim Ukura

One of the books I read almost forty years ago ... how sobering!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I'll second the recommendation for the audio of Palace of Illusions for Ancients. It was one of my favorite Bingo reads.

My Steampunk book, which I enjoyed, was Soulless by Gail Carringer. It was fun. I'm hoping to read the rest of the series at some point. 

I read just the first book in several series this year, which is kind of bugging me:

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles)

The Gunslinger (Stephen King's Dark Tower)

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate)

Odinsbarn (Raveringene Series)

• Like 6

I've been floundering trying to find a book to read and nothing is really appealing to me right now. Audio books otoh...

I finished listening to The Heretic's Apprentice, a Brother Cadfael novel. This was the first one without the narrator I've been enjoying. It's narrated by the actor who played Cadfael in the series though, and he did a nice job. I'll be listening to his narration for the rest of the series. This one was much shorter than the others - just over 3 hours I think. 

I'm currently listening to Somerset Maugham's The Painted Veil and liking it a lot. I got it during Audible's recent sale. 

Now I just need to find a print (Kindle really) book that grabs me. I have so many to choose from but none seem right.

• Like 8

Lost my post...

I have never read Nancy Drew. My older boys have read The Hardy Boys and enjoyed them. I'm thinking of getting the Nancy Drew set at Costco. They might enjoy them. Maybe I would enjoy them. They also liked The Mad Scientist Club. 

My personal preference are the old Nancy Drew books. I love the 1940's one and earlier. (Some of them have a few outdated/offensive references like one I read where a key point was the fact that the people running the laundry mat were Chinese.) You can find them super cheap at antique and thrift stores.

ETA - I think that was a Hardy Boys book with the laundry man in it but the idea is the same.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 5

Lost my post...

I have never read Nancy Drew. My older boys have read The Hardy Boys and enjoyed them. I'm thinking of getting the Nancy Drew set at Costco. They might enjoy them. Maybe I would enjoy them. They also liked The Mad Scientist Club.

I am another fan of the older versions but from my experience with dd and Nancy Drew from libraries I wouldn’t t buy beyond number 50 for sure. The newer ones were not nearly as good and she did quit reading the series pretty quickly when those were all she had left. She was spoiled because I had around thirty that I had collected from used bookstores when I was reading them. With the pre 50 ones at least they updated a good story.

The Trixie Belden series was also really good. Lots of involvement with the brothers in the storiylines which your boys might like.

• Like 5

This evening I finished another second book in a series; I recommend this one, too.  And, yes, this series needs to be read in order.

A Conspiracy in Belgravia (The Lady Sherlock Series) by Sherry Thomas

"The game is afoot as Charlotte Holmes returns in USA Today bestselling author Sherry Thomas’s Victorian-set Lady Sherlock series.

Being shunned by Society gives Charlotte Holmes the time and freedom to put her extraordinary powers of deduction to good use. As “Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective,†aided by the capable Mrs. Watson, she’s had great success helping with all manner of inquiries, but she’s not prepared for the new client who arrives at her Upper Baker Street office.

Lady Ingram, wife of Charlotte’s dear friend and benefactor, wants Sherlock Holmes to find her first love, who failed to show up at their annual rendezvous. Matters of loyalty and discretion aside, the case becomes even more personal for Charlotte as the missing man is none other than Myron Finch, her illegitimate half brother.

In the meanwhile, Charlotte wrestles with a surprising proposal of marriage, a mysterious stranger woos her sister Livia, and an unidentified body surfaces where least expected. Charlotte’s investigative prowess is challenged as never before: Can she find her brother in time—or will he, too, end up as a nameless corpse somewhere in the belly of London?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7