Menu

3 small pumpkins and I don't want to make pie

Moonhawk

Most pumpkin soup recipes include curry but we don't like that (we do like curry but not in soup). I found this recipe years ago and we really like it. I don't know if your pumpkins will give you enough but I'll link the recipe anyway.

http://www.pickyourown.org/pdfs/pumpkinsoup.pdf

http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinsoup.php

ETA: Although the instructions don't say to, I often use my immersion blender to make it creamy.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I saw a really cool video of dipping small pumpkins into water mixed with fingernail polish. There may be more ingredients than that. I would link by don't know how to copy and paste from my Mac. You can find it easily by googling. Not sure if your pumpkins are too big or not but you could do this in fall/Thanksgiving colors. 

Anything you would do with squash.

The easiest way to cook them is to put them into the oven whole at 375F, leave them for about 2 hours and then when they're cool, rip them open, discard the seed and then scoop the pump off of the skin. If you like the seeds beforehand you can cut off a "lid", scoop out the seed out, put the lid back on and roast it that way. You can cut them in half like a squash too but I like how cooking them whole retains the moisture better. If the pump is still lumpy, run it through a blender or food processor.

I mostly use the pulp in oatmeal and custard (crustless pie, just pour the sauce in a casserole dish, cook till it tests done). Sometimes I do soup. Muffins are nice too. I've even added it to pasta sauce. No one could tell and it was really good sauce.