Menu

Life of Fred for PreAlgebra or high school work questions

2_girls_mommy

I will admit, I have not spent any time looking this up. So if you can lead me to a site that comprehensively explains this program and what each book covers I would be thankful too! 

So I have an 8th grader. She works below what I would call 8th grade in most things. But she advances and still does ok. She scored right under the average for National Latin Exams last year on the Intro Level. I figure for a 7th grader that was pretty well. The other 7th graders in my group that took it with her scored only 1 or 2 questions above her, so I think that is what they had all covered, and she was on par with the class. In 6th grade she entered a statewide essay contest that included a piece of art that she then wrote a short essay on to explain how it fit into the topic given. She won 2nd place in the state. But I will say, she did the art and wrote the piece then I sat with her to correct all of the spelling- nothing different than spellcheck would have done. I did no word changing. So she has great ideas, especially if she is expressing herself through art. Hers was very simple in her style, but because it included art and she was able to tie in something we had just read a lot about to the topic given, she was very passionate about it. It was a big deal. There was a special ceremony and amazing prizes. So I know she isn't terribly behind average students. She has dyslexic symptoms (schools don't use the diagnosis here, so it isn't common to actually diagnose it) and has had some therapies and worked with a special ed teacher to teach us how to help there. But because of that has always been behind in language skills and also arithmetic. Memorizing in general like math facts or the steps to working out problems just takes her lots and lots of practice. She eventually gets there. And she can flourish because I have been able to use her strengths and work one on one with her.

So her strengths are definitely in art. She paints beautiful paintings during read alouds each day. She loves to sketch and draw with different media. She is learning to sew. You get the picture.  She is also very social, so read alouds and stories solidify better for her just about anything. She reads her science text (a grade level behind,) on her own, but does much better on the sections when I read them aloud and we discuss as we go. Even reading comprehension is tough still. We work on that with easy texts.

Because of all of that, I was thinking that LOF might be a good fit for her. But I have no idea how it works. Which one should I be looking at for her. She is still in arithmetic. I would be starting her in PreAlgebra next year for an idea for placement. Is it a full curriculum if I go this way at that level, or should I add something else and if so what- a full curric and use this as a supplemental read aloud or just extra practice like a Kahn Academy course? 

Thanks for help! 

I know a lot of people like to use LoF for struggling math students, but I don't understand this. Unless the parent is strongly math-oriented and can create a math environment for the student, LoF will be a struggle. The instruction isn't that explicit or obvious, and there's very little practice.

The author intends for the books starting with Fractions to be used by the student. Of course you can read it aloud, but this is how it was intended to be used.

If she's still in arithmetic, she wouldn't be anywhere near ready to start prealgebra in LoF. There is the elementary series, followed by 3 intermediate books, then fractions and percents and decimals (2 books), and THEN prealgebra. It sounds like your daughter would be doing either the intermediate books or the two books after that.

I'd recommend taking out one of the books from the library or borrowing from someone to see if they're a good fit. But the resale value is very good for the books if you do decide to buy and don't like it.

I don't think it works as a standalone unless the parent is supplementing with math activities (games, books, conversation, "real-life" math, etc.).

But I do know that many people claim I am totally wrong on all those points. :)

• Like 2

I believe that LOF is fabulous, but with my dd who needs mastery teaching with a spiral review, Rod and Staff works well (although we are considering switching to Math for a Living Education simply for the workbook format and storyline).  I would look at Rod and Staff 5 or 6, or Math Mammoth (take the placement test), or Math for a Living Education(again take the placement test-lol); I believe all of these are solid and have their own personal strengths, so I would suggest that you look into them. 

I believe LOF can definitely be a standalone program for advanced children, but for those that struggle you would be adding in so much review that  it would feel like a waste.

In your situation, if I loved Fred I would do it as a readaloud together, in addition to another basic program, and would begin with the Intermediate books of Kidneys, Liver, and Mineshaft. 

Math for a Living Education is a mix of LOF style with a weekly storyline- this would be my #1 recommendation.

Math Mammoth is Asian inspired, similar to Singapore, but within a single book.

Rod and Staff is a Mastery program with spiral review and is traditional in teaching.

I hope you find what works for your family soon.

Brenda

We use LOF as a supplemental, fun review after Math-U-See. The K, L, M books are considered "intermediate." I believe the A-J books are grades 1-4 type arithmetic? Then middle school is Fractions, Decimals/Percents, and Pre-Algebra 0-2. I have Fractions and Decimals/Percents. We used these, respectively, after MUS Epsilon and Zeta. My son read them on his own and did the work. I only checked his work when he got to the "bridge." LOF helped him to think in different, more challenging ways about math, especially to read carefully on word problems. I would not use it in your situation except as a supplement, and even then I'd probably help her read it and figure out what they want. I think LOF would be hard for the teacher to use. I couldn't use it alone myself. It's not nearly "enough" for me--enough instruction or practice. I think MUS sounds wonderful for your daughter and would recommend that for her.

• Like 2

I believe that LOF is fabulous, but with my dd who needs mastery teaching with a spiral review, Rod and Staff works well (although we are considering switching to Math for a Living Education simply for the workbook format and storyline).  I would look at Rod and Staff 5 or 6, or Math Mammoth (take the placement test), or Math for a Living Education(again take the placement test-lol); I believe all of these are solid and have their own personal strengths, so I would suggest that you look into them. 

I believe LOF can definitely be a standalone program for advanced children, but for those that struggle you would be adding in so much review that  it would feel like a waste.

In your situation, if I loved Fred I would do it as a readaloud together, in addition to another basic program, and would begin with the Intermediate books of Kidneys, Liver, and Mineshaft. 

Math for a Living Education is a mix of LOF style with a weekly storyline- this would be my #1 recommendation.

Math Mammoth is Asian inspired, similar to Singapore, but within a single book.

Rod and Staff is a Mastery program with spiral review and is traditional in teaching.

I hope you find what works for your family soon.

Brenda

Yes, we are wrapping up Rod and Staff this year. That has always been our primary math. I am glad I asked on here. I thought that I had read that LOF in high school was a full program somewhere. 

She will be done with arithmetic this year, so would be starting LOF next year for preAlgebra. Can someone tell me which book is the preAlgebra one so that I can look at it for her for next year. Sounds like it will be a supplement, but I need to look at it to figure it out and how it works. 

Technically, R&S 8 includes preAlgebra. My older dd went straight from it to Algebra I, but I was thinking with this dd, a full year of PreAlg after R&S might be best. I am not interested in Lial's. I used it for Algebra, teaching it to my older, and it didn't mesh well (for her.) This one could be different. Who knows?  I will add that Living Education one to my list to look into as well. I haven't seen it. 

Anyway, what is the name of the LOF PreAlgebra so I can see if the library carries it. 

Thanks, all! 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy

My 8th grader with difficulties in math likes Fred. We use it as follows:

1. For review. When we first did the elementary books, they started out well below her level, so we reviewed with them.

2. For "signs of progress." We are working our way through Fractions. We do Fred together. When we get to a Bridge, she will do the first "try." Anything that she misses on the bridge, we go pull from other resources to go over more thoroughly. Then, she does the next try of the bridge. So we're really alternating between Fred and other things (Mostly Key To... and Math Mammoth Dark Blue). 

It would NOT work for her stand alone, but is a spine she likes.

We use LOF as a supplemental, fun review after Math-U-See. The K, L, M books are considered "intermediate." I believe the A-J books are grades 1-4 type arithmetic? Then middle school is Fractions, Decimals/Percents, and Pre-Algebra 0-2. I have Fractions and Decimals/Percents. We used these, respectively, after MUS Epsilon and Zeta. My son read them on his own and did the work. I only checked his work when he got to the "bridge." LOF helped him to think in different, more challenging ways about math, especially to read carefully on word problems. I would not use it in your situation except as a supplement, and even then I'd probably help her read it and figure out what they want. I think LOF would be hard for the teacher to use. I couldn't use it alone myself. It's not nearly "enough" for me--enough instruction or practice. I think MUS sounds wonderful for your daughter and would recommend that for her.

so Pre-Algebra 0-2.... Is that the name of the books. I have seen names like Apple and such. Is there a specific name for these? 

And one last thought. She is in R&S 7 now. I was thinking of putting her into a separate preAlg program, so that she wasn't doing R&S 8 in 9th grade. But now that I think about it, I could just keep her in R&S 8 for 9th grade, try out the LOF as a readaloud, work together kind of thing, which I think she will really benefit from, and call that her preAlg. That still gives her 3 years to get in Alg 1&2 and geometry by graduation. I don't know why my mind was against using R&S for high school, but maybe that is my way to go. Thanks for letting me talk this out guys. I still would like a name for the LOF that I am looking for if someone can help!

I know a lot of people like to use LoF for struggling math students, but I don't understand this. Unless the parent is strongly math-oriented and can create a math environment for the student, LoF will be a struggle. The instruction isn't that explicit or obvious, and there's very little practice.

The author intends for the books starting with Fractions to be used by the student. Of course you can read it aloud, but this is how it was intended to be used.

If she's still in arithmetic, she wouldn't be anywhere near ready to start prealgebra in LoF. There is the elementary series, followed by 3 intermediate books, then fractions and percents and decimals (2 books), and THEN prealgebra. It sounds like your daughter would be doing either the intermediate books or the two books after that.

I'd recommend taking out one of the books from the library or borrowing from someone to see if they're a good fit. But the resale value is very good for the books if you do decide to buy and don't like it.

I don't think it works as a standalone unless the parent is supplementing with math activities (games, books, conversation, "real-life" math, etc.).

But I do know that many people claim I am totally wrong on all those points. :)

Yes, this would be me reading aloud to her, intended or not. :) And by arithmetic, I mean percents, fractions, decimals, etc. R&S calls everything through preAlg. arithmetic, so I was just using that to mean she isn't ready for anything beyond that. Thank You! I got some good insight from everyone. I always thought it was just a supplement, but then heard of people using it and had it in my head that high school was a full program or something. I do think the story like format is something she will benefit from. So we will add it to whatever I decide. 

And one last thought. She is in R&S 7 now. I was thinking of putting her into a separate preAlg program, so that she wasn't doing R&S 8 in 9th grade. But now that I think about it, I could just keep her in R&S 8 for 9th grade, try out the LOF as a readaloud, work together kind of thing, which I think she will really benefit from, and call that her preAlg. That still gives her 3 years to get in Alg 1&2 and geometry by graduation. I don't know why my mind was against using R&S for high school, but maybe that is my way to go. Thanks for letting me talk this out guys. I still would like a name for the LOF that I am looking for if someone can help!

The author's website lays out what's in each of the books and has a page of "where to start." If you're using it for review/supplement, I would start maybe a book or two behind where she's at in her other curricula, but probably not below Fractions if she has a grasp on long division.

Life of Fred Pre-Algebra with Physics

Life of Fred Pre-A w/Biology

Life of Fred Pre-A w/Economics

https://www.christianbook.com/page/homeschool/math/life-of-fred?kw=life%20of%20fred%20homeschool&mt=b&dv=m&event=PPCSRC&p=1018818&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlrChncqy1wIVkyWBCh2KtgBSEAAYAiAAEgL1j_D_BwE

I can't link nicely, but Rainbow Resources, CBD, Educents, etc will have all the books laid out.

I listed the official names of the Pre-A books 0, 1, and 2.

• Like 2

Life of Fred Pre-Algebra with Physics

Life of Fred Pre-A w/Biology

Life of Fred Pre-A w/Economics

Pre-Algebra 0 with Physics was previously published as Elementary Physics, fwiw, which might be relevant if buying used or trying to find it through your library. 

If your kid likes LOF's quirky humor, it'd be great if you could find a way to borrow Apples through Mineshaft, to review, and because it occasionally gives a preview of more advanced stuff (for example, my almost 7yo just learned to do sigma notation in LOF Ice Cream). I lent Apples-Fractions to a friend, and her middle schooler benefited from reviewing by reading those (and then she bought Decimals & Percents and the Pre-Algebra books, which I then bought from her). They didn't find it suited their needs as a stand-alone curriculum after that though, so, ymmv, and all that. If can't find books to borrow I'd only start 1-2 books back from where she's at, unless you wanted to get the entire series for your 3yo or something... they add up in cost though, even when buying used (says the addict who has Apples through Trig... while my oldest is only in Pre-Alg 0 with Physics).

• Like 1

Just reserved a handful from the library to check out. Thanks for the guidance. I had no clue what each was. I still have no idea why it is "with biology," so I am anxiously waiting for them to come in. This will make some good Thanksgiving weekend reading for me at my mom's house. Always good to have something to check out with during relative overload times. :)