Menu

photographic memory

sassenach

My son came to me and was telling me about this moment he had in class where he was trying to remember something while taking a test and suddenly he could picture the exact page (from his notes) and read it just like it was sitting in front of him. This kid has always had a pretty strong visual memory, but this is beyond anything that I've ever personally experienced. 

My question is, are there strategies to strengthen this skill? He felt like it was just totally random (and surprising) and not something that he had command over. It seems like a darn good skill to have, so I would love to help him hone it.

• Like 3

I could also retain written things like that. Very helpful for test taking! 

For me, it was just a matter of having time and a quiet space in which to do close reading of notes or texts, with good concentration and without distractions. Reading over things a couple times helped too, as did doing the reading the day (okay, usually night!) before the test. My long-term memory stinks, but I had almost photographic memory for things I only had to remember for a short time.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

I used to be like that.  The best way I found to study for tests was to recopy my notes (this was in college--I didn't study for anything prior to that).  Then during the test, I would just read off of my notes in my head.

Of course, I also used to be able to remember everything that ever happened to me.  Not so much anymore.

• Like 4

I used to be like that.  The best way I found to study for tests was to recopy my notes (this was in college--I didn't study for anything prior to that).  Then during the test, I would just read off of my notes in my head.

Of course, I also used to be able to remember everything that ever happened to me.  Not so much anymore.

That's probably why I doodled all over my notes in class, come to think of it. I think I kind of indexed things by pictures. 

• Like 1

I used to be like that. The best way I found to study for tests was to recopy my notes (this was in college--I didn't study for anything prior to that). Then during the test, I would just read off of my notes in my head.

Of course, I also used to be able to remember everything that ever happened to me. Not so much anymore.

Yep, this.

I'd recopy my notes, usually in outline form, and study off of that. Really, I'd just read the notes in my head during exams. Great skill to hone.

• Like 2

I used to be like that. The best way I found to study for tests was to recopy my notes (this was in college--I didn't study for anything prior to that). Then during the test, I would just read off of my notes in my head.

Of course, I also used to be able to remember everything that ever happened to me. Not so much anymore.

Same

• Like 1