Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW45: 52 Books Mini Challenge - Finance

Robin M

So, exciting reading for me this past week, due to who the author is. I have just finished “The Last Mrs. parrish,†by Liv Constantine. Liv Constantine is a pen nameof two sisters, Lynne and Valerie Constantine. Valerie Constantine is my mother’s dear friend of 45+ years. I have known this dear lady my whole life; she is my sister’s godmother. So having her publish a “real†book under a “real†publishing company is so amazing!

The book itself was a page-turner. Once it gets to Part II, the reader sees the story from the POV of a different character, and it is mind-blowing. One of the characters has a personality disorder and some of the behaviors this character initiates ring true in twistedness. It was very clever.

My only complaint about the book was that, towards the end, the pacing had become so fast that a few details were not really explained. So, for example, there was a part where a lot was riding on whether a character who is pregnant will have a boy, and the writing did a great job of torquing up tension on this point. But then she just apparently does have a boy without that plotline being carefully finished out, so those couple things felt a little confusing.

Also, I don’t generally seek out books where characters are super-rich; I guess I just don’t care at all about Hermes bags and private jets. But obviously, I wanted to read this book because of knowing the author, so the genre was not that relevant to my decision to read it. And the story obviously required the super-rich characters. They are essential to the plot.

• Like 12

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, exciting reading for me this past week, due to who the author is. I have just finished “The Last Mrs. parrish,†by Liv Constantine. Liv Constantine is a pen nameof two sisters, Lynne and Valerie Constantine. Valerie Constantine is my mother’s dear friend of 45+ years. I have known this dear lady my whole life; she is my sister’s godmother. So having her publish a “real†book under a “real†publishing company is so amazing!

The book itself was a page-turner. Once it gets to Part II, the reader sees the story from the POV of a different character, and it is mind-blowing. One of the characters has a personality disorder and some of the behaviors this character initiates ring true in twistedness. It was very clever.

My only complaint about the book was that, towards the end, the pacing had become so fast that a few details were not really explained. So, for example, there was a part where a lot was riding on whether a character who is pregnant will have a boy, and the writing did a great job of torquing up tension on this point. But then she just apparently does have a boy without that plotline being carefully finished out, so those couple things felt a little confusing.

Also, I don’t generally seek out books where characters are super-rich; I guess I just don’t care at all about Hermes bags and private jets. But obviously, I wanted to read this book because of knowing the author, so the genre was not that relevant to my decision to read it. And the story obviously required the super-rich characters. They are essential to the plot.

I just noticed The Last Mrs. Parrish on Overdrive last night when browsing through the new books section. I will definitely check it out and read it now that I "know" the author through Quill.

I just went into Overdrive and discovered there are 10 people ahead of me on the holds list. So exciting for your friend!

• Like 9

We should have a week for indie authors.  While some are horrid (I dread the influx of horribly edited ebooks every December due to the people who completed NaNoWriMo in November and don't realize editing is important), but I've found many incredible indie authors.  Some books by indie authors have been better than traditionally published ones.

This morning I finished All the Way From Texas by Carolyn Brown.  It was often cheesy and so stereotyped as far as how people from different areas behaved.  It was in close 3rd person, but switched people so sometimes you were in one character's head and sometimes another.  At first that was disorienting, but after a while I got used to it and it really worked well.  The ending was utterly predictable, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 9

I'm trying really hard to finish both the bingo and my current shelf before the end of 2017.  However, other things keep on interfering.  As in, other books that I read about on this thread.

In the last couple of weeks I've finished the following:

- Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell - read for the Flufferton Bingo category, which was a delightful and quick romp through 1930s English gentry's lives.

- Main-Travelled Roads by Hamlin Garland - obscure book that was next on The Shelf - collection of short stories all centred in same area/time frame (1880s Wisconsin/Iowa kind of area).  I normally hate short stories but I've ended up keeping this book much to my surprise because I think I might have the kids read a couple of the stories as an antidote to the romantic view of westward expansion and rural life that is so often found in other books.

- The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey - thanks to Chrysalis Academy, this was an example of me straying from my path but I was happy to do so as I found this book to be a quick and engrossing read.  I've already recommended it to several people IRL and passed it on to my father.

- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini - read this for the Bestseller from the year of birth of your spouse/child (2007, year of birth of DS) - it was also already on a shelf in my house but not The Shelf, sadly.  I'm still processing this one.  Compelling look at Afghanistan from the 1980s through 2003 as seen through the eyes of two women whose lives intersect and who experience the trauma and upheaval of living through that time.  It has compelled me to research further into Afghanistan's past and present and I am going to keep it on the shelf in order to press into the children's hands as they get older.  I usually avoid best sellers but I guess I shouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

Currently reading The Ghost and Mrs. Muir thanks to Kareni, I believe, and I'm enjoying that and now want to see the movie.

I have to find a Western, a Steampunk novel,  an Ancient and something with a Prime Number to finish the Bingo.  I think I'll try for a Prime Number book next.

• Like 10

We should have a week for indie authors. While some are horrid (I dread the influx of horribly edited ebooks every December due to the people who completed NaNoWriMo in November and don't realize editing is important), but I've found many incredible indie authors. Some books by indie authors have been better than traditionally published ones.

This morning I finished All the Way From Texas by Carolyn Brown. It was often cheesy and so stereotyped as far as how people from different areas behaved. It was in close 3rd person, but switched people so sometimes you were in one character's head and sometimes another. At first that was disorienting, but after a while I got used to it and it really worked well. The ending was utterly predictable, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Indie authors sound like a great idea! Butter, I hope we can count on you for this one.

I was also thinking of the counties of England challenge personal challenge Amy and I have planned for the next couple of years. Perhaps some of that could be incorporated into a more regional occasional opening posts. For instance books by the North of England's Murder Squad, a group of seven author's.

Loesje, Flander's detectives definitely need to be incorporated into your Flanders lit! :)

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 8

Currently reading The Ghost and Mrs. Muir thanks to Kareni, I believe, and I'm enjoying that and now want to see the movie.

This was a favorite movie of a beloved aunt. I didn't realize there was a book. I need to add it to my list and read it before I watch the movie. Is there a dominant season in the book? Hmm...haunted seaside village... Trying to decide if it would be best to read in summer or autumn... Or maybe I'm off completely and it takes place in winter or spring...  Thoughts?

• Like 7

Dashing through with a quick note --  Loving all the ideas, Ladies.  Idea that crossed my mind for 2018 is "Open Roads."  Have to see where that leads.   Palin's books are sparking quite a few ideas. 

Sandy, refresh me on the Counties of England read, please. Didn't you link to something with info in another thread? 

Figured out my nonfiction author name begins with a T -  Tyler Henry's Between Two Worlds.  One of my guilty pleasures. I love his show.  How that relates to finance...hmmm!

Erin -  Your bingo prize is on the way.   Congratulations again. 

:wub:

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

Indie authors sound like a great idea! Butter, I hope we can count on you for this one.

I was also thinking of the counties of England challenge personal challenge Amy and I have planned for the next couple of years. Perhaps some of that could be incorporated into a more regional occasional opening posts. For instance books by the North of England's Murder Squad, a group of seven author's.

Loesje, Flander's detectives definitely need to be incorporated into your Flanders lit! :)

He has been translated even into English:

https://www.amazon.com/Bruges-Love-Pieter-Van-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B00QLF2HRW/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1510091181&sr=1-6&keywords=Pieter+aspe

I don't think it is great literature, but it is a thing in Flanders.

The books inspired the TV series 'Aspe', and there are about 40 booktitels now.

I like the idea of reading the UK counties :)

• Like 6

I have not read it yet, but I'm really, really looking forward to it!  I loved the first three books (and I especially loved them as a unit; I felt the ideas he was exploring became more clear as the series moved along).  I'm very glad to hear that this one has held up.  And thanks for no spoilers. :)

You guys are making me think I should give Pullman another chance. I read The Golden Compass 15-ish years ago, and didn't like it enough to go on. But I did enjoy his Grimm book.

Did you just read the first book?  You really don't get to understand what's truly going on until books 2-3.  The first book alone just doesn't tell the whole story at all.  The first book barely hints at it.

And I have to say that I loved these books even though I kinda couldn't stand Lyra...  I did not find her a sympathetic character...

I did quit after the first one. All I can remember now is being kinda bored and wondering what the fuss was about.

Re: Pullman - well, if you found Lyra annoying, that's no reason not to read this book - she's only 6 months old, and quite cute!  This book does provide background to the events of His Dark Materials, but its strength is really its absolutely delightful protagonist, 12 year old Malcolm. It's a good adventure story on its own, but a knowledge and appreciation of the world of HDM would help, I think.

I'll assume you mean me, 'cause it doesn't look on Goodreads as if ErinE has read it. :)

I added it to GR this year (as it's my first year on GR), but I it was while I was cleaning out a huge old stack of books from the attic... I actually read it a long time ago (during college??), and I rated it based on a gut feel of how I remembered it.  That's the one with the post-apocalyptic commune somewhere in the hills of VA with lots o' clones due to fertility problems post-disaster?  I do remember liking it, and if I'm right about that synopsis, remember the basic storyline this many years later, so that's probably why the 4 stars.  It did have a hopeful ending, if I remember it right.  I think I remember finding it interesting how the society evolved over a few generations where it was normalized to be part of a clone group, and then what happens if it ends up that might not have to be a permanent solution after all...  hope that's not too spoilery, and I hope I'm remembering the right book. ;)

Yes, I did mean you! Thank you for sharing your memory. The voice of the reader on the audio is super annoying to me, so I might read this instead.

I love all that, but I'd also love to include the spunky girl who's ripped off her corset and bobbed her hair and run off to be a suffragette, and doesn't mind if we don't join her on the front lines, but won't tell her that she has to put her corset back on to join us for tea.

Y'know, Lady Mary AND Sophie.  

Word.

• Like 8

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie by Andrew Carnegie

"A critically acclaimed autobiography by one of America’s greatest philanthropists

Scottish immigrant Andrew Carnegie worked his way up from bobbin boy to telegraph operator to railroad man, learning key lessons along the way that would eventually lead to his unparalleled success in the steel business. Documenting a world of tariffs, insider deals, and Wall Street sharks, The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie opens a window into the great industrialist’s decision-making process. His insights on education, business, and the necessity of giving back for the common good set an inspirational example for aspiring executives and provide a fitting testament to the power of the American dream."

Also currently free ~

a male/male romance: His Quiet Agent  by Ada Maria Soto

a mystery/thriller: Going Underground  by Michael Leese

a historical romance: The Viscount's Christmas Temptation (Dukes of War Book 1)  by Erica Ridley

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Negin: I don’t have an issue with moderate fasting – 12 hours, 16 hours, the 5:2 diet, 3:4, and so on. What troubles me about the second book, is that they push for longer and longer fasts, in other words, extended fasting, which I think is simply unwise. I’m talking fasting for a week and longer, sometimes as long as three weeks! I think that that's too extreme. During that time, the daily caloric intake is well under 200 calories, when only water, kombucha, and bone broth are eaten. I cannot imagine it can be sustainable and how it can create a healthy relationship when it comes to food. COFFEE: One thing that they do recommend is consuming large amounts of black coffee. I would not be able to tolerate that on an empty stomach.

Wow, I can't imagine having any energy to get through the days, if the fast lasts longer than a day. My sisters fasted but only when they felt the need to detox. Add caffeine to the mix and I'd be a jittery mess. Thank you for the thorough review.

Mothersweets: After 1 year and 8 months, I have finally finished listening to The Count of Monte Cristo on CraftLit

Congrats on finishing Count of Monte Cristo. It's one book I've been meaning to read for a long time. Glad you enjoyed it and I'll have to explore Craftlit. Never heard of it before. James and I take months to listen to some stories because we listen about 15 to 20 minutes at a time in the car. How far have you gotten in War and Peace?

Karen - Thanks for the links. Always end up following many a rabbit trail from your finds. So much fun!

Jenn: I had the nastiest of head colds so got little reading done this week. I had to muster all my mental energies for rehearsals and 3 shows this weekend, so the only actual reading I'll count is starting a re-listen of (to?) Good Omens while in the car. I settled on it for a listen as it is coming out as a tv series soon, and figured I'd better get the book details set in my mind before seeing the tv version. Is David Tennant as Crowley type casting or what?!

Anyone else excited that the book three of Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings is coming out this month?!!Anyone else excited that the book three of Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings is coming out this month?!!

Hope you feel better soon and get some rest this week. I love David Tennant but have yet to read Good Omens. Another one of those I'll get to its. Maybe that should be a bingo square. Have to read a I'll get to it eventually book. :001_smile: Along with Brandon Sanderson Stormlight Archives series.

Zebra - Glad to hear you got your electricity back. :grouphug:

Ali: I'm cruising through A Hope More Powerful than the Sea about Syrian refuge Doaa Al Zamel and I think it's worth reading to understand more about what has happened in Syria and the human cost of that war.

Look forward to hearing what you think about it. Looks quite interesting.

Fastweedpuller: Friends in High Places, by Donna Leon: this is the maybe 9th of a kazillion Inspector Brunetti mysteries set in Venice. I know many of you have read this series (or parts of it) and it had come well recommended by my aunt, who for years worked for Rizzoli Books and for the swan song of her working career took authors around when they came through Chicago. In other words, I listen to her when she said the books were good and fluffy, with pasta, wine and corruption. She assured me that it did not matter where I picked up the series, so I chose this one because it dealt with Venice's Department of Buildings, or its equivalent, and renovations and plans and shady contractors and the like.

Love it - good and fluffy, with pasta, wine and corruption. Sounds like they are along the same lines as Iain Pears Art History Mysteries - lots of wine and corruption as well. Good to know can pick up anywhere. I'll be sure to check her out. Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Matryoshka: Bananas, Rabbit Cake, and A Cup of Coffee with my Interrogator. Love how the foodie titles all come together. Mongol Queens sounds quite intriguing and adding to my want list.

Rosie: I've been reading books on real estate over the past few months, pretending I will one day climb a few rungs up the economic ladder. To save you all the trouble of reading these books, I can summarise for you: Buy property, any property, 30 years ago. Great advice, huh? :lol:

Real Estate... I knew there was something I left off our list of finance reads. Which real estate books have you been reading?

Loesje2000: I finished a biography about Joke Smit (dutch feminist from 'the second wave'). Learned a lot :)

What did you learn? Please share.

Chrysalis: Is anybody else reading La Belle Sauvage, the new Philip Pullman book? I just finished it. What a great story! But I don't want to say too much about it in case some of you guys are reading it right now . . .

Oh that looks good. Adding it to my "Hubby, this is what I want for Christmas" list.

Amy: How is your writing going? Making lots of progress?

Penguin: I went to the Northern MD / Southern PA WTM meetup last week. It was so much fun!! Here is the picture if you want to see us:

Yeah, glad you had a great time. Wonderful picture.

Mum: I didn't sleep well last night and read a cozy by Charlaine Harris https://www.goodread...ep-like-a-baby. Sleep Like a Baby was pretty good even if it didn't make me sleep! ;) The Aurora Teagarden series was one of the first cozy series I read many years ago so was a bit relieved that I still enjoyed this book. I believe Noseinabook has already read this one.

I don't know how this series slipped me by. I thoroughly enjoyed Sookie. Looks good and just got the first book in the series, Real Murders.

Karen: Have you read Charlaine Harris' Grave Sight (Harper Connelly Mysteries, Book 1) and the follow ons? I liked that series even more.

Adding to my wishlist as well! Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Dashing through with a quick note -- Loving all the ideas, Ladies. Idea that crossed my mind for 2018 is "Open Roads." Have to see where that leads. Palin's books are sparking quite a few ideas.

Sandy, refresh me on the Counties of England read, please. Didn't you link to something with info in another thread?

Figured out my nonfiction author name begins with a T - Tyler Henry's Between Two Worlds. One of my guilty pleasures. I love his show. How that relates to finance...hmmm!

Erin - Your bingo prize is on the way. Congratulations again.

:wub:

Another Palin fan although I have only watched the tv series. I had no idea there were books.

Amy and I are planning to read our way around England using mysteries as our guide. We have found a list at Stop You're Killing Me http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/LocationCats/England/index.html to use as our jumping off point. I suspect that this could turn into a multi year project! ;) I found this post by a blogger called The Literary Nomad http://theliterarynomad.com/general/england-by-the-book/. Which gives an idea of what I think both Amy and I are planning only with mysteries. People could easily join in with other books.

For BaW it could be divided into regions as opposed to counties might work best.

Loesje, We would love it if you want to join us!

• Like 4

Ali: I've been fine with how the thread has been running. It seems to me that it's mostly books but other aspects of our lives enter in too--that's all great to me. I understand the no politics rule but am probably guilty myself of somewhat subtle despairing comments this particular year (see, like that one there). I'll try to watch that.

The reason I come here is to read about what everyone else is reading. I don't need a long intro or weekly theme, so my suggestion would be to ask for volunteers if people would like to take on a particular week or reading challenge but don't sweat it at all when there isn't anything for a particular week. Just start with "Whatcha reading this week?" No prep time needed!

Good to know. No worries about feeling guilty about anything. I think we need more chocolate.

Great idea. Poetry is a good go to when I'm really busy during the week and drawing a blank. I actually started writing poetry doing an a to z theme. I stopped at M and I still needs lots and lots of practice. No, I won't torture you all with my amateur odes. :lol:

Amy: Here's how I see out BaW thread - All of us ladies sitting around in our silks and velvet dresses politely discussing topics of interest and drinking tea. Gloves, hats, and corsets are a must. It would be impolite to gossip about his majesty, King George, in public so we only do that in our private conversations with friends. We also try to marry our children off to each others children to strengthen our social standing.

What a lovely image. An old fashioned Salon. I envision our BAW house having many rooms in which to gather and talk as a group in the drawing room (or is that sitting room) or having personal tete a tete's, as well as cooking together in the kitchen, sipping tea on the veranda, walking the grounds and playing bocce ball on the lawn. And of course, a fully stocked bar to go along with our tea and crumpets.

Some guest poster ideas I've been thinking about: *cookbooks, *books beloved from our childhood, *favorite read alouds, *audiobooks to craft to (or in my case desperately try to get work done), *spooky, *translated books .

Make it so, number one or should I say chief mate if we're being nautical.

I gotta say that out of sheer laziness and your dependable track record (also we love you!) that I would prefer you to stay the overall ships captain/leader/instigator/bookkeeper for our group. I only helped with a few weeks when you were on vacation and everything seems to run smoothly with one person (you! Am I being too subtle?) at the helm. I do like the ideas of the guest poster idea because it was fun to drive the ship on occasion.

Well ... look at me with all the nautical references that I know nothing about.

Thank you, dear heart.

Mum: Topics.....as I am sure you all know I could do something with mystery's. Cozy's, series, police procedurals. Let me know and I will "research" happily!

Maybe someone could do Japanese fiction or mysteries. I really liked The Devotion of Suspect X. I like my January Murakami and plan to read one for 2018 but don't expect everyone to read with me again. Urban Fantasy which I enjoy but don't really understand the definition of. I have also really enjoyed spelling the birthstone's. It is a challenge to find all those vowels! I wouldn't mind something like that again.

All great ideas - love mysteries and Japanese fiction. The Devotion of Suspect X looks intriguing. Maybe start off the year with Japanese literature so those who want to start with Murakami again can dive right in and leaves the door open for other japanese authors. Urban fantasies don't have any romance like paranormal romances do. Glad you liked the birthstone challenge. I'm failing miserably at the moment unless I count rereads, which I think I shall because I just haven't been in the mood for anything new. Ideas similar to birthstone, Hmmm! Flowers, painters, elements of nature, maybe bookstore names. And I think the names of countries were mentioned on an earlier thread.

Matryoshka: I love all that, but I'd also love to include the spunky girl who's ripped off her corset and bobbed her hair and run off to be a suffragette, and doesn't mind if we don't join her on the front lines, but won't tell her that she has to put her corset back on to join us for tea. Y'know, Lady Mary AND Sophie.

Definitely!

Loesje: I suppose I could say something about Dutch Literature, but as a lot is not translated, and probably not available in your libraries I'm not sure it is a good path to follow. I feel even more less qualified to say something about Flemish / Belgic Literature...

It's a great path to follow and I'd love to learn more about dutch literature.

Quill: So, exciting reading for me this past week, due to who the author is. I have just finished “The Last Mrs. parrish,†by Liv Constantine. Liv Constantine is a pen nameof two sisters, Lynne and Valerie Constantine. Valerie Constantine is my mother’s dear friend of 45+ years. I have known this dear lady my whole life; she is my sister’s godmother. So having her publish a “real†book under a “real†publishing company is so amazing!

That is exciting and have added the book to my want list.

Butter: We should have a week for indie authors.

Definitely and there are plenty of independent publishers to choose from as well.

Raifta - Glad you checked in and keeping my fingers crossed for completing bingo. A Thousand Splendid Suns is still sitting on my virtual shelves. Your post makes me want to read it now.

Woodland Mist: This was a favorite movie of a beloved aunt. I didn't realize there was a book. I need to add it to my list and read it before I watch the movie. Is there a dominant season in the book? Hmm...haunted seaside village... Trying to decide if it would be best to read in summer or autumn... Or maybe I'm off completely and it takes place in winter or spring... Thoughts?

Although I remember summer scenes of Mrs. Muir swimming on the beach, there were scenes from every season. I'm most drawn to autumn and winter because of the foggy nights and cold winter breezes and her wrapping up in a shawl on the balcony. Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

Although I remember summer scenes of Mrs. Muir swimming on the beach, there were scenes from every season.  I'm most drawn to autumn and winter because of the foggy nights and cold winter breezes and her wrapping up in a shawl on the balcony.  

Very helpful! Thank you! I'll add it to both the autumn and winter lists. 

• Like 5

Another Palin fan although I have only watched the tv series. I had no idea there were books.

Amy and I are planning to read our way around England using mysteries as our guide. We have found a list at Stop You're Killing Me http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/LocationCats/England/index.html to use as our jumping off point. I suspect that this could turn into a multi year project! ;) I found this post by a blogger called The Literary Nomad http://theliterarynomad.com/general/england-by-the-book/. Which gives an idea of what I think both Amy and I are planning only with mysteries. People could easily join in with other books.

For BaW it could be divided into regions as opposed to counties might work best.

What a great idea and yes, I can see how it could turn into a multi year reading project.  I haven't explored  Stop Your Killing Me in a long time and didn't realize it had books and authors broken down by country as as character jobs, history, genre and diversity.  I'll be following rabbit trails for a while.  :thumbup1:

• Like 4

This was a favorite movie of a beloved aunt. I didn't realize there was a book. I need to add it to my list and read it before I watch the movie. Is there a dominant season in the book? Hmm...haunted seaside village... Trying to decide if it would be best to read in summer or autumn... Or maybe I'm off completely and it takes place in winter or spring...  Thoughts?

It's a lovely story! I just read it a few weeks ago because of Kareni's suggestion. :)

Congrats on finishing Count of Monte Cristo. It's one book I've been meaning to read for a long time.  Glad you enjoyed it and I'll have to explore Craftlit. Never heard of it before.   James and I take months to listen to some stories because we listen about 15 to 20 minutes at a time in the car.   How far have you gotten in War and Peace? 

Thank you! I've been a CraftLit listener for 7 or 8 years now - lots of wonderful discussion about mostly classic books - Frankenstein, The Woman in White, Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Herland, North and South, Age of Innocence, and A Tale of Two Cities just to name a few.  Her website is kind of hard to navigate,imo, so just a heads up on that. Hope you enjoy it too! 

I'm around the 67% mark in my kindle for War and Peace and am aiming to finish by my birthday (January). :)

Sounds like a fun reading trip!

• Like 6

I also really liked Count of Monte Cristo -- I believe I wound up alternating between reading and listening. It started slow, I thought, but once he is out of prison, wow! 

Hmmm. I have The Summer Before the War all ready to start on my kindle. I'll give it a try and see, once I finish Grand Hotel.

Yes! The Count of Monte Cristo is such a great story! 

And The Summer Before the War - I'm interested to hear what you think of it. While I was reading I wasn't quite sure if I was being picky or just not getting into it or what. And I hope you're feeling better, too. 

Oh woe. I just started reading this. I hope it doesn't take me *that* long!

Lol, it only took so long because I was listening to it one or two chapters per week  :laugh:  I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

DH finished his Shetland mystery while I am still working on mine. He liked it and he's not normally a mystery reader. NaNoWriMo is getting in the way of my reading. That and being super super busy with work.

So glad he liked it!  :hurray: Is he planning on reading more of the series? I have the third one on hold at the library and am just waiting for it to come in. 

• Like 7

What I learned from the Biography of Joke Smit?

She is (would be if she would be alive) about the age of my parents.

So a big part of her live was when I was a child, but seen through the eyes of an adult.

I realized how difficult it must have been to raise our family the way they have done.

(Classic family style: mother, father, children against open marriages and same sex relations)

Somehow the second wave of feminisme became more equal to be a lesbienne.

How further I became in the book how more 'famous' names I recognized.

Joke was convinced her Job would be done by now.

She took the road of changing the laws instead of news catching but nothing changing actions.

I feel sorry for her there is still so much to realize.

I don't consider myself feminist, but the more I read about what fight it has been to realise the laws I live in, the more I become aware we have to take care that the clock won't turn back and have to realise what has to be realised.

I also learned that I own one of the two first books of feministic dutch literature :)

• Like 9

Not specifically about finance, but it is mentioned in the book...

Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin. I think I like this book better than The Happiness Project, but it's been several years since I read the happiness one, so my memory is fuzzy. To be fair, there were parts of The Happiness Project I enjoyed, but other parts -- not so much. Both books are quick and light reads. Sort of bloglike...

One aspect I like about her books is her mention of other books related to the topic, many of which are more substantial than hers. Rubin's books are worth reading in their own right and to find other resources.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 6

Having now finished it, I found that for me the dominant season was spring - there were some parts that featured spring that for whatever reason stood out for me for than others.  It was a satisfying read and I'm glad that I stumbled upon it thanks to this group of readers.

• Like 8

So a big part of her live was when I was a child, but seen through the eyes of an adult.

I realized how difficult it must have been to raise our family the way they have done.

(Classic family style: mother, father, children against open marriages and same sex relations)

She took the road of changing the laws instead of news catching but nothing changing actions.

I don't consider myself feminist, but the more I read about what fight it has been to realise the laws I live in, the more I become aware we have to take care that the clock won't turn back and have to realise what has to be realised.

I also learned that I own one of the two first books of feministic dutch literature :)

Thanks for bringing her to our attention, Loesje. I read the wikipedia article about her, and was saddened to read that she died from breast cancer at age 48. I had breast cancer when I was 41 (almost 12 years ago), so I always notice that and always grieve for women who die from the disease at such a young age.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 10

Having now finished it, I found that for me the dominant season was spring - there were some parts that featured spring that for whatever reason stood out for me for than others.  It was a satisfying read and I'm glad that I stumbled upon it thanks to this group of readers.

Thanks! I might move it to the any/all seasons list. 

• Like 6

Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin. I think I like this book better than The Happiness Project, but it's been several years since I read the happiness one, so my memory is fuzzy. To be fair, there were parts of The Happiness Project I enjoyed, but other parts -- not so much. Both books are quick and light reads. Sort of bloglike...

One aspect I like about her books is her mention of other books related to the topic, many of which are more substantial than hers. Rubin's books are worth reading in their own right and to find other resources.

Added to my TBR list - thank you. I enjoyed The Power of Habit earlier this year, and I have seen Rubin's books but never read them. I also read Superhuman by Habit and thought is was quite good if you can accept that it is absolutely bloglike. I'm not sure it is worth $4.99 though - I read it for free when I had Kindle Unlimited.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

Matryoshka: Bananas, Rabbit Cake, and A Cup of Coffee with my Interrogator. Love how the foodie titles all come together. Mongol Queens sounds quite intriguing and adding to my want list.

:lol:  Apparently I did some kind of food mini-challenge without realizing it!  If only I could manage to pull that kind of thing off intentionally!

If you're interested in the Mongol Queens book and haven't read Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World already, do that one first.  That one was really amazing.  The Queens book is good, but it seems like a lot of it is cool info he couldn't fit in the narrative of the earlier book, so worthwhile, but I'd definitely read the other one first.

All great ideas - love mysteries and Japanese fiction. The Devotion of Suspect X looks intriguing. Maybe start off the year with Japanese literature so those who want to start with Murakami again can dive right in and leaves the door open for other japanese authors. Urban fantasies don't have any romance like paranormal romances do. Glad you liked the birthstone challenge. I'm failing miserably at the moment unless I count rereads, which I think I shall because I just haven't been in the mood for anything new. Ideas similar to birthstone, Hmmm! Flowers, painters, elements of nature, maybe bookstore names. And I think the names of countries were mentioned on an earlier thread.

Speaking of my challenge timing being off, I just added The Devotion of Suspect X to my TR list for this month for the Topaz book.   I was pondering a Murakami instead (still haven't read one of his), but I gather they are mostly huge tomes and I'm trying to get a bunch of books in before the end of the year!! ;)  But maybe I'll manage that in January since I missed it last year...

ETA: I wanted to add how much I appreciate how much effort and care you put into all the challenges, and into maintaining this amazing ongoing thread.  BaW has been a light in my life this year.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 10

Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland  

"One of the most banned books in history: John Cleland’s tale of a woman’s racy adventures

Shortly after she turns fifteen, Fanny Hill loses both her parents. She moves to London hoping to find work as a maid, but soon finds herself working for a madam who intends to sell off Fanny’s virginity. Though she is at first fearful of contact with men, Fanny soon learns the ways of extracting enjoyment and pleasure from sex. Written in the form of a confession, the novel follows Fanny as she works her way up in society while witnessing all manner of sexual encounter.

First published in 1749, Fanny Hill was banned for obscenity and became nearly impossible to find for centuries. As delightfully ribald now as it was when it was first released, Fanny Hill continues to delight readers with its naughty charm."

Also currently free ~

described as "funny chick lit mystery/adventure":   Roll with the Punches by Amy Gettinger

described as "Southern contemporary romance" : You and Only You (Blessings, Georgia Book 1) by Sharon Sala

described as a forbidden romance: Balance (Off Balance Book 1) by Lucia Franco

non-fiction: Minimalist Living  by Genevieve Parker Hill

a different book by the author Butter/Heather was recently reading: Discern (Mosaic Chronicles Book 1)  by Andrea Pearson

steampunk:  Wolves of the Northern Rift  by Jon Messenger

a male/male romance novella: The Rest of Forever  by Kate Aaron

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Added to my TBR list - thank you. I enjoyed The Power of Habit earlier this year, and I have seen Rubin's books but never read them. I also read Superhuman by Habit and thought is was quite good if you can accept that it is absolutely bloglike. I'm not sure it is worth $4.99 though - I read it for free when I had Kindle Unlimited.

Thanks!

• Like 5

Speaking of my challenge timing being off, I just added The Devotion of Suspect X to my TR list for this month for the Topaz book. I was pondering a Murakami instead (still haven't read one of his), but I gather they are mostly huge tomes and I'm trying to get a bunch of books in before the end of the year!! ;) But maybe I'll manage that in January since I missed it last year...

There are definitely shorter Murakami's than the hugely popular 1Q84 which I did love. It's an all time favorite which I never would have read without this group so I would never discourage reading it. ;). But I have enjoyed others greatly also and most are shorter. One that I want to read next year is a book with two shorts, 234 pages apparently, called Wind/Pinball. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24013720-wind-pinball?ac=1&from_search=true

• Like 8

Since finance is my background, I've read plenty of books on the subject, usually where things went wrong. Here's some of my reads (though this isn't financial advice as I'm not qualified to give any):

For personal finance, I like The Wall Street Journal Personal Finance Guidebook. It's a good, basic overview to personal financial management, very similar to the textbook I used in college, just without the stress of homework or tests. Some of it many people already know, but I found it helpful to refresh my knowledge from time to time.

For investment, I don't like any books since I don't enjoy gambling. If you've ever had a chance to tour a trading floor, you see row after row of people, smart and driven, working every day to take advantage of anomalies in the market. Behind the scenes, there's even more geniuses analyzing numbers, creating massive financial models, and re-evaluating investment strategies. Any lay investor will be at a significant disadvantage in trying to "beat the market". I know people do it, but study after study has shown the odds are better to not even try. I like the philosophy of John Bogle, founder of Vanguard, and I'm sure I've read The Little Book of Common Sense Investing, but I'll have to re-read to give any recommendation.

Since history is another particular interest, I like to read about where finance goes wrong. The best book, in my opinion, is When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long Term Capital Management by Roger Lowenstein. LTCM was a large hedge-fund which employed quants (for "quantitative analysis", usually holders of analysis-heavy PhDs like physics or mathematics) to find anomalies in the market and make money off them. Though the quants were eventually right, they lost so much money in the short-term that it nearly collapsed the financial markets.  One of the founders of LTCM was Myron Scholes, a brilliant finance professor, who along with Fischer Black, created the Black-Scholes option pricing formula which is still in heavy use today. So if that guy can fail at picking stocks, I figure I'm better off sticking with index funds.

Michael Lewis has made his name writing financial history, in particular Liar's Poker, a look at junk-bond trading at Solomon Brothers, and The Big Short, a summary of the collapse of the US mortgage-backed security market in 2008. In my opinion, he tends to take a "ban all new things" without recognizing that like any new technology, financial innovations bring benefits and drawbacks which lawmakers and the market are often slow to recognize and regulate. But based on my limited knowledge, he is correct on what happened behind the scenes and writes about them in an engaging, easy-to-understand way. Lewis also wrote the fantastic book Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, detailing the use of analytics to build a championship baseball team, a variation of the methodology which was used to create the latest World Series Champtionship team. Go 'Stros!

Finally I have a few personal favorites that aren't easily classified. As proof that the more things change, the more they stay the same, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay (written in 1841) is excellent, describing the rise and fall of financial manias like the infamous Dutch Tulip Mania. Leaning more towards economics than finance, Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt is an interesting, engaging read. Another is Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter L. Bernstein, detailing the history of understanding and quantifying risk. And for a final recommendation, Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich follows the development of a quant team brought together to beat the Las Vegas gambling odds.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 11

There are definitely shorter Murakami's than the hugely popular 1Q84 which I did love. It's an all time favorite which I never would have read without this group so I would never discourage reading it. ;). But I have enjoyed others greatly also and most are shorter. One that I want to read next year is a book with two shorts, 234 pages apparently, called Wind/Pinball. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24013720-wind-pinball?ac=1&from_search=true

Hmmm... Overdrive does have some of his shorter books.  I may delay reading something Japanese for Topaz till towards the end of the month, and if I'm running out of time, try one of the shorter Murakamis, and save Suspect X for next year. Also, I already finished one round of A-Z titles, so maybe I should save the X for a new year. ;)

• Like 6

Some recently finished books ~

the science fiction romance Cassandra's Challenge (The Imperial Series Book 1) by M. K. Eidem which I enjoyed.  This particular book was both longer and more meaty than the other books I've read by this author.  I'd happily read on in the series, but I don't think I'll necessarily be re-reading this book.  (Copious adult content)

"Cassandra Chamberlain has always stood out. It's hard not too at 6’1†and 165 pounds with jet black hair and sapphire blue eyes. And if that wasn’t enough she is also brilliant, graduating from Harvard at fifteen, teaching at MIT at nineteen and up for the prestigious Magellan Award at twenty five. But she’s never really fit in. Not with her peers, not with her contemporaries, only with her family. But everything changes when the Earth is attacked and Cassandra and her niece Victoria are the only survivors.

Suddenly the smartest woman on the planet has to relearn everything. Everything she’s believes to be true is challenged and she has to learn to survive, not only for herself but for Victoria, because someone wants them dead.

Admiral William Zafar is the youngest Admiral ever in the Coalition fleet, the hero of the Battle of Fayal. At 7’1†he’s 325 pounds of Carinian male in his prime who is feared and respected throughout the fleet. He is a royal from the House of Protection, carrying its birthmark and considers its King one of his oldest friends.

But when the Regulians destroy a previously unknown planet leaving only two survivors he finds he's willing to risk it all to protect the woman he loves from the Regulians and the Carinian traitor that wants her dead."

I also re-read with pleasure Anne Cleeland's Murder in Hindsight (A New Scotland Yard Mystery Book 3); sadly, book four was not available in the library when I stopped in earlier today.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I an doing some planning for my mystery tour of England next year and am trying to figure out how to keep track on Goodreads along with a hand written notebook.

So Goodreads people help please.....

I think my main aim at this point is going to be able to keep track of my books read in county alphabetical order. I plan to set up a shelf named something like "Tour of England" to separate out the books but would like to see where i have read at a glance. A chart preferably. I have just taken a look at the sort function for shelves and I think if I enter the County in the notes section (which I have never used) I can sort that way. Yes?

Next part of the question is I think the notes section is private. Am I right? I don't want to be listed in the bottom reviews with the only thing said being Durham or Sussex. The comments section goes to the review part, right?

• Like 7

I'm working on several books at the moment. I'm also trying to finish bingo. I marked off the Short Stories square last night when I finished 1001 Arabian Nights. An entertaining collection of stories for sure, but very sexist. Very sexist. I skimmed over quite a bit when reading aloud to my ds. We did talk about how in the stories all the good heroes/heroines were described as attractive and all the evil characters were ugly and why that is. 

Reading Ovid's erotic poems for the ancient square, and still reading Macbeth for middle ages. I'm listening to Wodehouse because it's Wodehouse. No other reason or goal needed. 

• Like 11

Some bookish posts ~

The Book That First Spoke My Feral Language: Richard Adams’ Watership Down  by Brooke Bolander

Tor.com Reviewers’ Choice: The Best Books of 2017

10 Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books About Heroes and Heroines with Extraordinary Powers  by Olivia Mason

Zuleika Dobson by Max Beerbohm

"This satirical novel of life and love at Oxford University is one of the Modern Library’s 100 Best Novels

Max Beerbohm’s only novel is a comic masterpiece set in the privileged environs of Judas College, Oxford. When beautiful prestidigitator Zuleika Dobson gains admittance to the all-male campus, romance is suddenly in the air. But the smitten undergraduates are out of luck, because this femme fatale can only love a man unaffected by her charms.

The snobbish and taciturn Duke of Dorset appears up to the challenge, but his wall of indifference crumbles when Zuleika falls for him. She immediately rejects him for reciprocating her feelings, of course, and the Duke is driven to despair. He resolves to kill himself to teach her a lesson, but one small problem remains: Zuleika thinks suicide is romantic—and every lovesick undergraduate at Oxford is dying to agree with her."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I googled her and she sounds like was a fascinating woman and I'm glad to see she's made a lasting impression. 

:lol:  Apparently I did some kind of food mini-challenge without realizing it!  If only I could manage to pull that kind of thing off intentionally!

If you're interested in the Mongol Queens book and haven't read Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World already, do that one first.  That one was really amazing.  The Queens book is good, but it seems like a lot of it is cool info he couldn't fit in the narrative of the earlier book, so worthwhile, but I'd definitely read the other one first.

Speaking of my challenge timing being off, I just added The Devotion of Suspect X to my TR list for this month for the Topaz book.   I was pondering a Murakami instead (still haven't read one of his), but I gather they are mostly huge tomes and I'm trying to get a bunch of books in before the end of the year!! ;)  But maybe I'll manage that in January since I missed it last year...

ETA: I wanted to add how much I appreciate how much effort and care you put into all the challenges, and into maintaining this amazing ongoing thread.  BaW has been a light in my life this year.

Will be sure to check out Genghis Khan. Would be something my hubby would also enjoy. It's become a tradition to read Murakami in January and I have a couple books still on the shelves.  I'll save Devotion of Suspect X for January as well.   

Aw shucks! Thank you and I'm happy you decided to join in.  

Since finance is my background, I've read plenty of books on the subject, usually where things went wrong. Here's some of my reads (though this isn't financial advice as I'm not qualified to give any):

For personal finance, I like The Wall Street Journal Personal Finance Guidebook. It's a good, basic overview to personal financial management, very similar to the textbook I used in college, just without the stress of homework or tests. Some of it many people already know, but I found it helpful to refresh my knowledge from time to time.

For investment, I don't like any books since I don't enjoy gambling. If you've ever had a chance to tour a trading floor, you see row after row of people, smart and driven, working every day to take advantage of anomalies in the market. Behind the scenes, there's even more geniuses analyzing numbers, creating massive financial models, and re-evaluating investment strategies. Any lay investor will be at a significant disadvantage in trying to "beat the market". I know people do it, but study after study has shown the odds are better to not even try. I like the philosophy of John Bogle, founder of Vanguard, and I'm sure I've read The Little Book of Common Sense Investing, but I'll have to re-read to give any recommendation.

Since history is another particular interest, I like to read about where finance goes wrong. The best book, in my opinion, is When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long Term Capital Management by Roger Lowenstein. LTCM was a large hedge-fund which employed quants (for "quantitative analysis", usually holders of analysis-heavy PhDs like physics or mathematics) to find anomalies in the market and make money off them. Though the quants were eventually right, they lost so much money in the short-term that it nearly collapsed the financial markets.  One of the founders of LTCM was Myron Scholes, a brilliant finance professor, who along with Fischer Black, created the Black-Scholes option pricing formula which is still in heavy use today. So if that guy can fail at picking stocks, I figure I'm better off sticking with index funds.

Michael Lewis has made his name writing financial history, in particular Liar's Poker, a look at junk-bond trading at Solomon Brothers, and The Big Short, a summary of the collapse of the US mortgage-backed security market in 2008. In my opinion, he tends to take a "ban all new things" without recognizing that like any new technology, financial innovations bring benefits and drawbacks which lawmakers and the market are often slow to recognize and regulate. But based on my limited knowledge, he is correct on what happened behind the scenes and writes about them in an engaging, easy-to-understand way. Lewis also wrote the fantastic book Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game, detailing the use of analytics to build a championship baseball team, a variation of the methodology which was used to create the latest World Series Champtionship team. Go 'Stros!

Finally I have a few personal favorites that aren't easily classified. As proof that the more things change, the more they stay the same, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay (written in 1841) is excellent, describing the rise and fall of financial manias like the infamous Dutch Tulip Mania. Leaning more towards economics than finance, Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt is an interesting, engaging read. Another is Against the Gods: The Remarkable Story of Risk by Peter L. Bernstein, detailing the history of understanding and quantifying risk. And for a final recommendation, Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions by Ben Mezrich follows the development of a quant team brought together to beat the Las Vegas gambling odds.

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. 

Great links and will probably be adding a few to my wishlist.  

• Like 7

And The Summer Before the War - I'm interested to hear what you think of it. While I was reading I wasn't quite sure if I was being picky or just not getting into it or what. And I hope you're feeling better, too. 

I'm only half way done with this book, but I'm enjoying it as it is the perfect kind of fluff for the moment. It is like most dramas on Masterpiece these days -- lovely to look at, pleasant to visit, but not terribly deep, profound or especially good on a critical level. But I definitely find myself wanting to pick it up and read, or if I'm being honest, to skim. Faint praise, eh?  But I don't have the luxury of reading anything significant at the moment, so Grand Hotel is still half done and the Murakami I started earlier this year also is patiently sitting with a bookmark in place. 

• Like 9

Margarita time or Mimosa time depending on your time zone.  :cheers2:

Just watched the trailer for Murder on the Orient Express which is coming out on Friday.  Has a great all star cast!

I forgot how to link the trailer...again.  Check it out here.

This is literally the first movie I'm excited about seeing in the theater since they did a 30 year anniversary of Ghostbusters. I think DD and I are going to see it this weekend. Maybe .. just maybe ... we might get a babysitter and take DH with us.

I think the part I'll have the hardest time with is the fact that nobody can be Poirot in my mind except David Suchet. We'll have to see if I can get over that or not.

So there's a bit of subtle off color language. It's not really intended to be off color it's just funny because the Brits have funny names for food.

I was so-so about the Happiness Project also. I do have a secret weakness for books about habits though so I've just requested it from my library.

So glad he liked it!  :hurray: Is he planning on reading more of the series? I have the third one on hold at the library and am just waiting for it to come in. 

Yes. He is! It must have gotten him on a mystery kick because he's also finished Maltese Falcon this week (liked it!) and The Westing Game (liked it!). He listened to Westing Game from our audible subscription and hadn't realized that it was one of DD's favorite books of all times.

• Like 7

Is the Curious Incident in the Nighttime appropriate for a 13 yo girl? It was recommended to DD and I haven't read it. I know you guys have though! Anyone?  (We're okay with a bit of romance and cussing but no strong violence. Nothing too sexy either.)

• Like 4

Re: The Great Around England Read-A-Thon of 2018 (Gonna have to work on that title. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.)

I've been thinking about how I want to keep track of it also. I didn't think about using Goodreads. I'll have to investigate how the notes work too. I am planning on printing a map and coloring in the county when I read a book from there and then writing a list to the side. Let me (a) take a picture of my idea and then (b) figure out how to post it on here. Might take me awhile because I also have to © cook dinner for my hungry people.

• Like 6

I've almost missed this week! Amy, last week you asked about mysteries we both might like. I think you've read or at least tried most of the series I read.

Inspector Brunetti is the one you quoted me about, and you might enjoy those. https://www.goodreads.com/series/50419-commissario-brunetti

I bought a few mysteries during the mysteries and thrillers Kindle sale and am almost done with Murder in Mayfair. Though I like it there are a few things I find annoying, but it's the author's first book so I've been giving her some slack. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32202639-murder-in-mayfair?ac=1&from_search=true

I also bought this one because of the dog. 😊 I haven't started it so I can't comment. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25404822-killing-trail?ac=1&from_search=true

Sorry. I can't link with text on my tablet, or maybe I just can't figure out how to do it.

I'm not sure if you have to shop from a Kindle to get the discount. It was on the Special Offers page so you might.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

I've read/finished 2 books this week.

The Time Machine (audio) gave me the science fiction bingo square. I saw a movie version when I was a teen and it seemed pretty hokey, but in reading the book I realized Wells was making some social commentary, which isn't unusual for him.

The Crow Trap - the first Vera Stanhope book. Oh yeah. Amy have you read these? It's my first one though I've watched the series. I think when it comes to her books I might like the Shetland ones better. I'll give the next one a try though at some point

It wasn't part of my plan to read a finance book but I've had an Overdrive book sitting on my Kindle that I either need to read or let it go poof when I turn on the wifi. So I started reading This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate. It fits for finance. I already read a book for the finance square so this is just a bonus.

Other current book in progress -

-Under the Banner of Heaven - I was almost halfway through this when I put it aside for some other books. Time to get back to it and finish it.

-The Hermit of Eyton Forest - a Brother Cadfael audio book

-Murder in Mayfair

-Hyperion - for the outer space square

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

In going over my BigBingos left for the year, it looks like if I read a Murakami for Topaz, I'll only have two squares left in that Bingo row, and one of them is Silk Road, which Mongol Queens could check.  So, I'm thinking of moving that book to that square, and finding a different book for the "Queen in the Title" square, as I think that's an easier category to fill.  Any suggestions that are not either a tome or a steamy romance?  Things like Phillipa Gregory, which appear to be both, are right out. ;)

Another row I might have more hope of completing that I thought has the square "Classical composer or musician" - any thoughts on that one?  Too bad I can't use that humongous Liszt biography I read for that, but that was a couple of years back now, so need something new!  Something engaging and not too overly long.

And the another square in that row is "Dr Seuss Compilation" ?!  Does such a thing exist?  What is it called and how may I find it?  Should I just read a few Seusses from my shelf?  I also have his only (as far as I know) book for adults, The Seven Lady Godivas, but that's not a compilation... ;)

• Like 4

In going over my BigBingos left for the year, it looks like if I read a Murakami for Topaz, I'll only have two squares left in that Bingo row, and one of them is Silk Road, which Mongol Queens could check. So, I'm thinking of moving that book to that square, and finding a different book for the "Queen in the Title" square, as I think that's an easier category to fill. Any suggestions that are not either a tome or a steamy romance? Things like Phillipa Gregory, which appear to be both, are right out. ;)

I can't remember if you like historical mysteries. If so there's The Queen's Man, by Sharon Kay Penman (author of The Sunne in Splendor).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/234559.The_Queen_s_Man?from_search=true

• Like 4

Another row I might have more hope of completing that I thought has the square "Classical composer or musician" - any thoughts on that one?  Too bad I can't use that humongous Liszt biography I read for that, but that was a couple of years back now, so need something new!  Something engaging and not too overly long.

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know!  I just ran across this today and it looked super interesting to me.  Symphony for the City of the Dead:  Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad  It's YA but for much older teens and quite lengthy.  Obviously I haven't read it but it would work for that square if that is something that sounds interesting to you.

• Like 5

Re: The Great Around England Read-A-Thon of 2018 (Gonna have to work on that title. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.)

I've been thinking about how I want to keep track of it also. I didn't think about using Goodreads. I'll have to investigate how the notes work too. I am planning on printing a map and coloring in the county when I read a book from there and then writing a list to the side. Let me (a) take a picture of my idea and then (b) figure out how to post it on here. Might take me awhile because I also have to © cook dinner for my hungry people.

My new title ideas are The Great British Road Trip or The Mysterious British Road Trip.

Goodreads sorted my Alphabetical by title category so easily that I soul love to be able to have it with me at a glace in alphabetical order. I am the odd person occasionally walking around the library looking at lists on my kindle. It seems like it could be helpful. I also think we might be able to look at each others shelf easily.

• Like 6

In going over my BigBingos left for the year, it looks like if I read a Murakami for Topaz, I'll only have two squares left in that Bingo row, and one of them is Silk Road, which Mongol Queens could check.  So, I'm thinking of moving that book to that square, and finding a different book for the "Queen in the Title" square, as I think that's an easier category to fill.  Any suggestions that are not either a tome or a steamy romance?  Things like Phillipa Gregory, which appear to be both, are right out. ;)

And the another square in that row is "Dr Seuss Compilation" ?!  Does such a thing exist?  What is it called and how may I find it?  Should I just read a few Seusses from my shelf?  I also have his only (as far as I know) book for adults, The Seven Lady Godivas, but that's not a compilation... ;)

I second Sharon Kay Penman as I love her writing.  If you like mysteries, there is Ellery Queen's QBI: Queen's Bureau of Investigation. Also Elizabeth Peter's Amelia Peabody series - The Painted Queen.

Dr Seuss compilations found on Amazon which you may be able to also find at the library are Six by Seuss or Your Favorite Seuss.  You could just read the ones on your shelves and call it done.   

• Like 4