Menu

would you or do you take advantage of this service?

ProudGrandma

Click and collect. I know lots of mums with kids that do it. Mostly if I'm going to the hassle of online grocery shopping I'll order delivery as well.

For perspective, when I talked to dad about how people managed grocery shopping without a car back in the day he told me apparently the grocery cart just came by each day. You put on the order the day before and the grocery man delivered it to you. Fridges and freezes were either non existent or so small that they only held a days worth of food.

• Like 2

For perspective, when I talked to dad about how people managed grocery shopping without a car back in the day he told me apparently the grocery cart just came by each day. You put on the order the day before and the grocery man delivered it to you. Fridges and freezes were either non existent or so small that they only held a days worth of food.

Is that out in the country?

When I grew up, people used to walk to the grocery store, produce store, butcher shop, baker, and carry their shopping bags home. You'd only buy what you could carry in one trip. When my grandma got very old, she'd sometimes leave the heavier shopping bags at the store and send us grand kids to fetch them later - she was 90 and still doing the shopping for our family of six!

• Like 2

I don't because I don't drive.   So, I pay Peapod $7.95 to bring the groceries to me.  It's worth every cent not to have to shop, carry the groceries etc. . . . I also think I save the $7.95 because I can buy things in bulk that I'd never be able to carry home, and because I can set it to sort by price which makes comparison shopping super easy.

• Like 1

Most of my purchases are fresh fruit and vegetables. I want to see the produce before I buy it.

And I like to take advantage of discounted items near expiration date. How would I order "I want all the multi grain baguettes you have on the discount shelf, but no more than 5, and only if the price is below $1.79"?

I am in a produce coop, and I shop at an ethnic market for most of the rest (alternating weeks). My grocery store produce purchases are pre-washed salad and whatever is on sale. They do fine with that--I somwtimes think it's fresher than what is on the shelves

I do miss my markdowns, and I am not sure how I feel about that. But for now, the pick up is working well for me.

Edited by Zinnia

When I grew up, people used to walk to the grocery store, produce store, butcher shop, baker, and carry their shopping bags home. You'd only buy what you could carry in one trip. When my grandma got very old, she'd sometimes leave the heavier shopping bags at the store and send us grand kids to fetch them later - she was 90 and still doing the shopping for our family of six!

It was market garden area. Not far from the city and a fancy suburb now. So I don't know if you would have called it country. I do know of a lady who lived in our location who walked what would be about 8-10km to buy her groceries though so I guess it was different for everyone. Growing as much as you could would have made sense.

and there was the milk delivery which used to be a daily thing that doesn't exist anymore.

When I grew up, people used to walk to the grocery store, produce store, butcher shop, baker, and carry their shopping bags home. You'd only buy what you could carry in one trip.

Yes, when I was a child and my mother didn't drive, she went to the shop every day. She had a backpack in addition to bags to carry.

I used that service at Harris Teeter when we lived in VA and loved it.  I used to be able to tell them things like "milk with the latest expiration date" or "least ripe bananas you can find" or "meat without much fat", those types of things.

We have Shipt now for Publix and I don't like it.  Not only is the food more expensive using Shipt, but then you add on 15% minimum tip and it gets a little more expensive than I'd like.

It was market garden area. Not far from the city and a fancy suburb now. So I don't know if you would have called it country. I do know of a lady who lived in our location who walked what would be about 8-10km to buy her groceries though so I guess it was different for everyone. Growing as much as you could would have made sense.

and there was the milk delivery which used to be a daily thing that doesn't exist anymore.

Not daily, but there are weekly local milk/meat/egg/produce delivery box services here. I suppose with a lucky location, you might be able sign up for all of them and get deliveries ~three days a week.