Menu

Warmest Winter Coats for Kids

eternalsummer

My kids stayed warm in the Land's End Squall Parkas. We lived in Alaska, and it was often down in the -20s F in winter. If you aren't hanging around a lot outside, then you don't need a super warm coat - you'll warm up the car before you leave, and the time outside will be minimal. For playing/walking outside, the exercise creates more body heat. You will be more concerned about hands & heads - you need good ski gloves and hats that tie under the chin to protect the ears. For boots, look into Bogs with wool socks.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 4

I think we'll be outside a fair amount; we're renting a place with 10 acres and not much to do other than run about outside :)  

I had wondered about hats.  DH has an excellent sealskin hat made by a lady in Alaska who makes hats for Iditarod racers; I want something in the same shape for the kids but that I wouldn't mind cleaning mud off of weekly :)

Off to bookmark Bogs, thanks!

at 9000' - I would look at canada goose.  (it's a brand.  they outfit arctic teams.)

why no down?

you want layers.  layer layer layer.  start with really good, breathable long underwear. wool or silk, or a high quality synthetic.  rei, wintersilks, etc.  stay away from acrylic.  it "looks pretty" - but has NO warming ability. good quality polar fleece.

for boots - I would do steger mukluks and nothing but.  the boots will last through one kid and have plenty of life for the next kid.  so, keep that in mind when you look at the price.   the main difference between their lower cost options and the really expensive ones is the materials - all but the cheapest are just as warm as another.  just the amount of moosehide or other decoration.

steger's also has a really good page on dressing for cold.  which I can't find.

smart wool socks.

eta: after learning how to dress for cold (from alaska inuit women)- patty steger doesn't bother with down unless she's going to be sitting a lot.  she layers with high quality fibers.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

L. L. Bean also has coats for extreme conditions for kids and their quality has not gone down in recent years as has Lands End.

Boy's rated to minus 5 degrees:  https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111819?feat=503369-GN2&page=boys-peak-3-in-1-jacket&csp=f

Girl's rated to minus 5 degrees: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88752?feat=503348-GN2&page=girls-wildcat-3-in-1-parka&csp=f

Edited by Kalmia
  • Like 2

L. L. Bean also has coats for extreme conditions for kids and their quality has not gone down in recent years as has Lands End.

Boy's rated to minus 5 degrees: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/111819?feat=503369-GN2&page=boys-peak-3-in-1-jacket&csp=f

Girl's rated to minus 5 degrees: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/88752?feat=503348-GN2&page=girls-wildcat-3-in-1-parka&csp=f

Anything 3-in-1 would not keep me or my kids warm in the winter! It's sort of like how all season tires are no season tires around here.

• Like 1

We have found the LLBean 3-1 jackets to not be warm enough for prolonged outdoor playing here. But our kids have happily worn the Columbia interchange 3-1 jackets for hours and hours outdoors.

https://www.amazon.com/Columbia-KaPOWder-Interchange-system-Jacket/dp/B01NC0B6P1/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1505664705&sr=1-1&nodeID=7147442011&psd=1&keywords=Columbia+Interchange+3-1

DD16 wears this one in the youth XL and has room for a wool sweater underneath when she is our winter camping with her dad at -20F.

Wool caps work great as do wool mittens and a scarf.

• Like 1

at 9000' - I would look at canada goose.  (it's a brand.  they outfit arctic teams.)

I live in a very cold climate.  Dh and I both have Canada Goose coats because we spend a great deal of time standing outside for various reasons.  They are great and we both love them but they are very very expensive.  I would not spring for them for growing children or even no-longer growing teens who might still be rough of clothing or forgetful.  They are also very puffy so we have to take them off when getting in the car to make sure our seatbelt work properly.

We always bought Land's End or REI for dd.  As long as you have something wind proof that is fairly warm, layers are going to be your better bet.  Especially because you might find that your kids need to wear more indoors as well.  Long johns, scarves, hats, wrist warmers, and very thick wool socks are part of our daily indoor uniform here.  We also find that by keeping the heat down indoors, we not only save money on heating but acclimate to being outdoors better.

• Like 2

you want layers.  layer layer layer.  start with really good, breathable long underwear. wool or silk, or a high quality synthetic.  rei, wintersilks, etc.  stay away from acrylic.  it "looks pretty" - but has NO warming ability. good quality polar fleece.

I agree on the layers - and you don't want them to be cotton! We have a variety of non-cotton long underwear pieces and all have worked well. My youngest participated in a 1 day/week "outdoor school" where they spent most of the day outside no matter the weather. I dressed him in long underwear pants & shirt, athletic jogging pants, a poly fleece sweatshirt, snow bibs, parka, ski socks, ski gloves, and a fleece-lined wool hat that covered his ears. He was always toasty.

• Like 1

I like the Lands End jackets as well (hailing from Minnesota).  Their snow pants are the best too.  They are somewhat more reasonably priced than things of similar quality. 

I also recommend a couple pair of good quality long underwear and some smart wool socks and some good boots (sorrells, bogs for low temps, etc).  And I've found it helpful if everyone has a few pairs of gloves/mitts and a few hats to work with. 

• Like 1

On Canada Goose - fantastic if you are spending long periods of time outside in very cold weather. DH bought one from someone leaving the Arctic - practically brand new! And we sold it to someone when we left, in the same brand new condition. Because if you are going from house to truck to building, and unless you are spending hours outside, they are just too hot! When we lived in Iqaluit, there was a guy who chose to be homeless (because up there you can't LET people be homeless) and he slept on a cement step, totally huddled up in a Canada Goose jacket, and he was fine.

And you know what? I gave up my down jacket last year for a much thinner more comfortable poly-filled jacket, that is *almost* as warm!

• Like 1

The canada goose jackets are nice.  But I don't think you need to spend nearly that much to be warm.  Especially for kids.  What cracks me up is seeing those jackets is they're like a fashion statement now.  LOL.  I've had down and they really are too warm for typical winter coat use. 

• Like 1

The canada goose jackets are nice.  But I don't think you need to spend nearly that much to be warm.  Especially for kids.  What cracks me up is seeing those jackets is they're like a fashion statement now.  LOL.  I've had down and they really are too warm for typical winter coat use. 

oh, I  know.  my brother forked out for them - including his then 11yo daughter.  big eye roll.

what shocked me was finding out a store in our local mall (ahem - this is SEATTLE!!!!   it's TEMPERATE!!!!  even the mts rarely get that cold)- carries canada goose. most of them aren't the uber warm stuff - but they do carry them.   

I actually first learned about it from the pbs series voyage of the mimi from the 80s.  it has their story segment- and then their educational segment.  and they sent someone to mcmurdo - they topped off with canada goose.

eta: my brother was living in indiana at the time - but still overkill.

I bought a good eddie bauer down parka for dd when she was in school in upstate ny. (similar price to CG, but I got it off the clearance rack for a song.)  she didn't like it, mostly because it was too bulky and didn't do anything for her thighs.  I bought her a long cashmere/wool/angora long coat with raglan sleeves. fox fur ruff (the real stuff will keep your face warm) on the hood.  only her nose was cold.  yeah it was pricey ( even at 1/3 off on sale . . . ) - but she wore it every day during the winter for three years and it cut the wind.  it was much more flexible and lighter weight than the down parka. and so soft . . . .and very warm.  she'll still wear it with dress clothes on a cold winter day/evening.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1