Menu

Houston area people...check in if you can

Liz CA

FYI Houston and Rockport / Port A / etc people - I saw this on facebook and wanted to share:

Tomorrow morning, the Valero Disaster Relief Truck will start distributing free gasoline to people in the Coastal Bend area. Check back tomorrow morning for location announcements. Bring your own gas can and receive up to 5 gallons for use in emergency generators and other disaster recovery equipment. Please share with friends and family in the area.

This was on the Valero Energy facebook page so check back there for locations. 

• Like 3

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Returning home from Beaumont.

Roads are clear, you can get gas, stores are opening. I saw a guy mowing his lawn today. It ALMOST seems back to normal there. Water is still under a boil advisory so no restaurants are open except Waffle House and Golden Corral. People are in good spirits and there is a lot of help through the churches.

Vidor still has a lot of places under water. Nothing is open. People are cleaning up their houses but there were also long lines for food and water at the church's. National Guard was guarding banks yesterday and were in several locations helping pass out food. Lots of helicopters were flying overhead. It is drying up but my one cousin still can't get into his neighborhood as water is still 3' deep.

Orange, Port Arthur, and other places were starting to recover. Some gas stations were open, we even saw a couple with gas today. Again people were very positive and working together to help each other.

We saw people from all over who came to help: Florida, Tennessee, Minnesota, Kansas, Mississippi, Kentucky, and of course Texas. It will we a long haul until things are back to normal.

The people we ran into were very thankful for the support and the help.

Edited by Rach
  • Like 10

Returning home from Beaumont.

Roads are clear, you can get gas, stores are opening. I saw a guy mowing his lawn today. It ALMOST seems back to normal there. Water is still under a boil advisory so no restaurants are open except Waffle House and Golden Corral. People are in good spirits and there is a lot of help through the churches.

Vidor still has a lot of places under water. Nothing is open. People are cleaning up their houses but there were also long lines for food and water at the church's. National Guard was guarding banks yesterday and were in several locations helping pass out food. Lots of helicopters were flying overhead. It is drying up but my one cousin still can't get into his neighborhood as water is still 3' deep.

Orange, Port Arthur, and other places were starting to recover. Some gas stations were open, we even saw a couple with gas today. Again people were very positive and working together to help each other.

We saw people from all over who came to help: Florida, Tennessee, Minnesota, Kansas, Mississippi, Kentucky, and of course Texas. It will we a long haul until things are back to normal.

The people we ran into were very thankful for the support and the help.

Thank you for the update on the Beaumont area.

• Like 1

Anyone know about the Galleria area?

From what I have been seeing in Facebook, it does not seem like the Galleria area wasnt hit too bad. Richmond and Westhhiemer were open but very crowded with traffic. The only streets that were open to get over Buffalo Bayou were 610 and Chimney Rock, so anyone on the west side had to drive in to Chimeney Rock then back west.

My friend who lives off of West Little York was finally get in to her house today and start demo. Homes in the back of her neighborhood are still having to get in by boat. Several of the sewage treatment plants in her MUD district are underwater so they have no sewer service or water. Port-a-potties are being set up in some neighborhoods.

Kingwood High is closed for the year and students will have to attend Summer Creek High which is about 45 minutes away. KHS will have the afternoon shift, SCHS gets mornings. Geezle will have a monster bus ride this year but at least he'll be able to go to school with his classmates and not be split up among all the other high schools in the ISD. Clean up is in high gear and there are debris piles all over the place. 

• Like 3

Kingwood High is closed for the year and students will have to attend Summer Creek High which is about 45 minutes away. KHS will have the afternoon shift, SCHS gets mornings. Geezle will have a monster bus ride this year but at least he'll be able to go to school with his classmates and not be split up among all the other high schools in the ISD. Clean up is in high gear and there are debris piles all over the place. 

Oh, wow...I was wondering how exactly they were going to work that. 

With the shifts, does that mean (do you know) that the KHS teachers will still be teaching? 

Oh, wow...I was wondering how exactly they were going to work that. 

With the shifts, does that mean (do you know) that the KHS teachers will still be teaching? 

Yes, they'll take their shift. They'll still have a full load of grading to do and will have to replan their classes for the new schedule.

• Like 1

Ugh.  I have a friend whose kids had to split with another school after the Baton Rouge flooding, but they didn't have to do a whole year. That's going to be rough.

I had to do that in jr high after another jr high burned down.  the double shifts went on for two and a half years(?)   I only got the tail end of it.  they rebuilt in a different location than the school that burned.

each 'school' had their own teachers - and we had four people to a locker.   it is better for the kids to be together.