Menu

Totality in Oregon was amazing!

Ali in OR

We were in our neighborhood park where eventually there may have been 100-200 people. Partial was fun to watch. No one watched continuously. People moved around, visited with neighbors, some had telescopes on the basketball court, kids played on the playground. But as totality approached, the quality of light changed. It still looked like daylight, but dimmer. Not the same as sunset or early morning light. As we got really close to totality, everyone got excited. My dds were bouncing up and down. Then totality. It was not totally dark. The sun/moon/corona was just magical. People cheered. One minute forty seconds went by so fast. We saw the diamond ring as totality was ending. Daylight returned very quickly. Everyone was touched. Surreal. Magical. Beautiful. I will try to attach a totality pano.

• Like 18

Due to a back injury, we had to cancel our travel plans to drive to totality, so we stayed here in our 80% area. Even though we were disappointed we couldn't travel, we enjoyed how the blacktop in the nearby parking lot cooled down. How it felt like a cloud was passing in front of the sun...but there was no cloud. How I didn't feel like I needed my sunglasses because even though it was sunny out, it didn't have that sting of brightness.

We were in a park and left just after the height of the eclipse for us and when we walked into the house, the house was dark. Even though it was bright outside (but not too bright) the house looked as if it was late, late evening.

We got the most out of our 80% that we could.

• Like 1

So it cleared up on the coast for you? Awesome!

Our campground was about two miles off the beach, up a hill. When I woke up this morning, early, I drove down to the local beach and then north about 10 miles to that beach and saw that both were socked in about an hour out, so I decided to stay at the campground. Glad we did, had a perfect view and it was fun to share it with the people around us in the campground. Some people had cool experiments going on and people were just walking around and taking a look at those, too. It's now three hours later, and we are at the beach. It's still foggy! Made the right call.

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2