Menu

Man swims downriver to work each day

PrincessMommy

This is cool.  I looks like he even does it a couple of times a week in winter.  The only thing they didn't answer for me is how he gets home. 

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170724-the-man-who-swims-to-work

It's only 2km, so it's just a short walk. Or presumably there's a bus. But why would he be driving a car for such a short commute in the first place?

It's only 2km, so it's just a short walk. Or presumably there's a bus. But why would he be driving a car for such a short commute in the first place?

2km in the river may not be the distance walking or by bus. That depends on roads, sidewalks and buildings in the area. It may still be a 20-40 minute walk home. However, in the river he's the only person on the route, so it's a nice quiet way to start the day. If he were on streets his am commute may be sensory overload with traffic noise, which may not be conducive to a good start of the day. 

• Like 2

The question they didn't answer for me is whether he has a shower at work.  

According to him, the river is almost as clean as tap water, except for some debris. He runs some kind of organization related to the river.

The city has cleaned up the river over the past decade, and water quality is tested regularly and considered fine. They just cannot guarantee a steady water quality because the Isar is a wild river, there can be storm runoff, etc.

I think he arrives much cleaner than a person who spent an hour sweating in a subway.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

This is cool.  I looks like he even does it a couple of times a week in winter.  The only thing they didn't answer for me is how he gets home. 

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170724-the-man-who-swims-to-work

That was my thought upon reading the article. I could totally swim home from work, at least during the summer. But swimming 5 miles upcurrent to work would be a bit much, I think.