Menu

~~~~~~ August Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

I mentioned in a different thread that I found a $2 book that I'm hoping to make $50 selling on Amazon. Time will tell. It should sell fast so hopefully this month. That'll be the start of our Christmas money.

We need a set of bunk beds and I just found a use wooden one for $175 that I may pick up tomorrow. This isn't specifically in August's budget but it is on my list of needs and has been budgeted for. It was just a matter of finding a good price for one.

Sweet

I said in that other thread I need to try Amazon.  Never done it.   

Do you sell other stuff besides books? 

Have you thought of doing that on a bigger scale? 

• Like 1

Just saw this on Hip2save

Through August 9th,  hop on over to Snapfish.com where you can score 20 FREE 4Ăƒâ€”6 prints and FREE shipping when you enter promo code 20AUGFREE at checkout! This is a great time to order photos and fill up those frames or scrapbook pagesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Â you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t beat FREE!

• Like 2

Sweet

I said in that other thread I need to try Amazon. Never done it.

Do you sell other stuff besides books?

Have you thought of doing that on a bigger scale?

I have sold other things but I hated dealing with shipping costs so now I sell my other things locally.

I've never really thought about going bigger scale on Amazon. My mom has been selling books on a larger scale for a decade and I've help her run that while she's on vacation, which is now about half of the year. But the looking for new inventory is too much at this point in my life with all the little kids.

I do make a pretty penny selling locally though.

• Like 1

I have sold other things but I hated dealing with shipping costs so now I sell my other things locally.

I've never really thought about going bigger scale on Amazon. My mom has been selling books on a larger scale for a decade and I've help her run that while she's on vacation, which is now about half of the year. But the looking for new inventory is too much at this point in my life with all the little kids.

I do make a pretty penny selling locally though.

Yeah the kids do make it so hard to shop. 

You have to pay the shipping fees to Amazon correct? 

That is great that you can sell so much locally.  Our area isn't so happening.  Small town for you. 

Grocery shopping was $130 less than I have been spending.   I will go back for somethings Aldi was out of stock on.  Boo. 

• Like 1

8/8 update:

Goals:

Earnings $400/$39.35

Swagbucks 6000/442

Shopkick 3500/1040

Sold $15 worth yesterday. Glad to see it go too. 

Got a $6 off of $6 clothing at Sears, so ordered DD new undies. I have to go by there anyways next week for a Doctor's appointment, so easy to go pick up too. 

Probably gonna go do rebates today I think. 

• Like 1

Yeah the kids do make it so hard to shop.

You have to pay the shipping fees to Amazon correct?

That is great that you can sell so much locally. Our area isn't so happening. Small town for you.

Grocery shopping was $130 less than I have been spending. I will go back for somethings Aldi was out of stock on. Boo.

Well Amazon allots a specific amount towards shipping to the buyer but sometimes the shipping is actually more than that. Books are always media mail so the price is pretty easy to guess but other items all depend on weight and size and that just is more hassle than I'm willing to deal with. Plus, less people complain about uses books than used electronics.

• Like 1

Well it turns out the kids and I are going on a 2 week road trip with my dad in a week so August just changed drastically. On our trips he tends to pay for EVERYTHING! Even when I try to pay he won't let me. That means we'll be set up quite nicely come the end of the month since for 2 weeks we'll only have to worry about gas and groceries for dh. I think the money saved will go straight to savings.

• Like 1

Well it turns out the kids and I are going on a 2 week road trip with my dad in a week so August just changed drastically. On our trips he tends to pay for EVERYTHING! Even when I try to pay he won't let me. That means we'll be set up quite nicely come the end of the month since for 2 weeks we'll only have to worry about gas and groceries for dh. I think the money saved will go straight to savings.

How sweet.  

Where are you going? 

• Like 1

Well Amazon allots a specific amount towards shipping to the buyer but sometimes the shipping is actually more than that. Books are always media mail so the price is pretty easy to guess but other items all depend on weight and size and that just is more hassle than I'm willing to deal with. Plus, less people complain about uses books than used electronics.

Can you just ship all your stuff to Amazon, have them store it and they ship it out and handle it all?   I am looking for passive things. 

Just got all our new curriculum for this year.   Thank you charter.   $0

The kids dove right in.   

some good flight deals to Rome from Scott's Cheap Flights

No bag fees

TO:

Rome (ROM) 

Atlanta (ATL) - $430 
New York City (EWR) - $419*
New York City (JFK) - $436*
New York City (LGA) - $415 
Washington DC (BWI) - $468 
Washington DC (DCA) - $437 
Washington DC (IAD) - $462 

WHEN: Varies by origin. Check Google Flights for the cheapest dates. Generally September 2017 through May 2018, including Thanksgiving on some but excluding Xmas/NYE on all. 

NORMAL PRICE: $800

AIRLINE: Air France, KLM, Alitalia, or United 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Through August 9th,  hop on over to Snapfish.com where you can score 20 FREE 4Ăƒâ€”6 prints and FREE shipping when you enter promo code 20AUGFREE at checkout! This is a great time to order photos and fill up those frames or scrapbook pagesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Â you canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t beat FREE!

Thank you!  

• Like 1

We're at a family reunion this week; travel cost us about $120 so far (gas for our 15 pasenger van) plus about $200 for lodging, $60 for food on the road, and $200 into the group pot for groceries.

My parents are covering the group lodging while here.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

How sweet.

Where are you going?

Down to his second house in Alabama, which is 3 doors down from my sister. We'll be there for about a week. Then we're all going to watch the eclipse. From there we're heading to Chicago to visit his siblings. We'll camp along the way.

As for giving amazon your stuff I don't know how that works. I've never done that.

Down to his second house in Alabama, which is 3 doors down from my sister. We'll be there for about a week. Then we're all going to watch the eclipse. From there we're heading to Chicago to visit his siblings. We'll camp along the way.

As for giving amazon your stuff I don't know how that works. I've never done that.

Sounds fun.  Lots of people to entertain the kids. 

Hmm I thought that was how it worked for Amazon.  I guess I need to look into that again. 

• Like 1

Did a little research and you can have Amazon store your stuff.   It is doing FBA

Has anyone done it? 

Paid the last bit of violin lessons for the summer.    Ouch.   

Waiting for the dance schedule to come out.  I hope it hurries up.   I need to figure out other stuff we are doing. 

• Like 1

I was gifted some money. I had a few things I wanted to do with it, but I decided the most practical was to use toward a dishwasher. I was originally going to use some toward a car seat tech class, but dh isn't even positive he could take off work the three days of the class to watch the kids. So knowing that there was no guarantee I could enroll in the class it made sense to just place the dishwasher order. I am very excited about getting a dishwasher, though. It will be here later this month. Portable. If we move we can take it or sell it.

• Like 2

May I join you ladies?  DH and I are frugal by nature but we need to kick it up for a bit because we're self-employed and three of our biggest clients haven't been paying timely. (Nobody pays timely but that's a rant for another day.)  We've dipped into savings and need to live like broke college kids until we get it built back up.  And there's just no real reason not to live frugally, right?

Grocery budget this month: $130/$300

Unusual expenses:

• My parents are coming to visit for a week - usually they insist on paying for everything but I'll buy food before they arrive that's extra
  • Renew mine and DH's drivers licenses
  • Car registrations
  • School fees
  • Back to school supplies

It's going to be an expensive month when I really didn't need an expensive month.

• Like 1

The prepare the house for sale projects continue. Tomorrow a guy is coming out to give us an estimate for gutter repairs and he'd going to assess how the roof looks. So essentially that project is off my mind because once we schedule the repair I'll only need to pay it.

Next on the list is kitchen cabinets. Tonight I'm going to measure the doors and see if I can swap them out for Ikea cabinet doors and just paint the boxes. That will save tons. The cabinets can't stay in their current condition so replacing doors will hopefully be doable.

• Like 1

I was gifted some money. I had a few things I wanted to do with it, but I decided the most practical was to use toward a dishwasher. I was originally going to use some toward a car seat tech class, but dh isn't even positive he could take off work the three days of the class to watch the kids. So knowing that there was no guarantee I could enroll in the class it made sense to just place the dishwasher order. I am very excited about getting a dishwasher, though. It will be here later this month. Portable. If we move we can take it or sell it.

I got new kitchen appliances for Christmas last year.  It is fun being an adult right? 

Is being a carseat tech a paying job?  I used to be crazy about learning about all the new seats.  

• Like 1

8/10 update:

Goals:

Earnings $400/$48.35

Swagbucks 6000/442

Shopkick 3500/1058

Did rebates yesterday. Have to call for a credit on my digital coupon account as one didn't apply yesterday. 

Keep up the great work.  I like that you are keeping track of it everyday.   Keeps you more motivated. 

• Like 1

I got new kitchen appliances for Christmas last year.  It is fun being an adult right? 

Is being a carseat tech a paying job?  I used to be crazy about learning about all the new seats.  

Lol yes. Dh and I are actually really excited about the dishwasher and he said it may be possible to put the class on the credit card but we still don't know about him getting time off work so we'll see. I'm not holding my breath. They offer the courses different locations in the state throughout the year. I don't know too far in advance when we'll see another one in my area. I've been on a mailing list for several months and this is the closest location to me right now (class is in Sept. an hour away). He works at a school and doesn't want to take 3 days off in Sept. which is understandable and we don't really want to hire a sitter for three whole days. Plus, the college kids are in class so I don't even know who we would hire.

The car seat tech is not a paid thing. I just really want to learn about it and get certified. A friend of mine is certified and we talk about car seats and she does free car seat checks periodically for the community. I don't live close to her, about an hour away. On the "find a tech" link there is no one in my area. I think it would be good if someone in this area was certified and when I offer advice to people they will take me more seriously if I'm certified. I don't try to shame people, but I would like to educate people. I have just seen many obvious no nos (like young children riding in the front seat).

Most car seat techs I believe do the training because of a related job (ie. certain fire fighters). My friend and I are just really interested in it, but don't have related jobs.

----------------------------------------------

I don't know if anyone remembers dh had a horrible experience recently at a walmart with their auto dept. (I mentioned it somewhere on the boards). Well after he complained enough (mainly to tell them this should not happen to anyone else. He spent about 11 hours in WM that week between the initial work and follow up work that was the cause of someone not doing their job right) he asked what they were going to do about it and they said they are working to educate the staff and prevent this from happening again and will reimburse us half of our cost (we got 4 new tires). This is such a financial relief.

If anyone is interested, there are a few of the "step into reading" books on sale on Amazon right now. Less than $2.

Examples: https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Cat-Hat-Step-Reading/dp/0375824944/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502388111&sr=8-2&keywords=step+into+reading+step+1

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Dog-Gone-School-Step-Reading/dp/110193512X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1502388291&sr=1-1&keywords=step+into+reading+step+1+dog+gone+school

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

http://hip2save.com/2017/08/10/have-you-ever-received-a-call-offering-a-free-cruise-read-this-as-you-may-be-due-300/

Do you recall ever receiving a phone call offering a free cruise with Carnival, Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise Lines between July of 2009 and March of 2014?

If so, you may be eligible for up to a $300 per call settlement. To see if your phone number is included in this settlement, just head here and enter the phone number you would like to check. If your number is included in the settlement, follow the directions to file a claim online.

• Like 1

Sigh...the division that dh works for is having record years and they are more busy than ever. But overall the company isn't meeting goals so today they told staff they have two weeks of unpaid furloughs owing. One in September and one in November.  And of course he still have to have his projects done on time, even though he'll have no staff for those two weeks. Groan. 

On the bright side, this is better than in past years when he didn't get paid during furloughs but was expected to work anyway since he was salaried. I guess the company got in trouble because now he's not even allowed to turn on his company laptop, log on to the system, or enter the building during furlough. 

• Like 1

Sigh...the division that dh works for is having record years and they are more busy than ever. But overall the company isn't meeting goals so today they told staff they have two weeks of unpaid furloughs owing. One in September and one in November.  And of course he still have to have his projects done on time, even though he'll have no staff for those two weeks. Groan. 

On the bright side, this is better than in past years when he didn't get paid during furloughs but was expected to work anyway since he was salaried. I guess the company got in trouble because now he's not even allowed to turn on his company laptop, log on to the system, or enter the building during furlough. 

UGH 

That stinks.  I am sorry. 

• Like 2

Our internet jacked up their rates by 30 bucks a month.    I have tried calling to get it back down.  I am going to keep doing it and hope I get it lower.  

Worth a check on Everyoneon.org to see if you can get low cost net through them. 

I get total unlimited with a wireless modem for $10 a month. I did have to pay for the modem up front but even then cheaper. And the service is pretty good. 

• Like 1

Worth a check on Everyoneon.org to see if you can get low cost net through them. 

I get total unlimited with a wireless modem for $10 a month. I did have to pay for the modem up front but even then cheaper. And the service is pretty good. 

Thanks

They didn't have anything in my area. 

• Like 1

Not a lucky day

Still no luck on the internet.   I am not paying 75 a month

I didn't find the eclipse glasses at walmart.  Sold out yesterday.

spent 70 under at the grocery store, even though we splurged on a lot of food and bought supplies that I wouldn't have bought. 

Did the rest of the vacation planning today.   $$.

Lots of things to get done this week.   We shall see how much of it I can actually get done.   :)

I posted this in another thread and wanted to post it here in case anyone wants it. 

This is how to get free magazines

There are lots of different companies that do this.  

I will post all the ones that I use and you will not get a bill ever.  Some you have to fill out surveys or some you earn points.  Easy peasy.  All of these are totally legit

recyclebank.com

https://www.recycleb...books-magazines

rewardsurvey.com    - watch out for the ones you choose here.  They just started adding a 99 cent processing fee, which they never used to on some of them

www.rewardbee.com/

http://www.rewardsgo...ward_select.htm

Join to get even more

http://cdn.mercuryma...7487/index.html

You will have to find each link for each magazine, best way to find it is on slickdeals or hip2save

https://tradepub.fre...g.com/20001778/

same thing with mercury

http://hip2save.com/...itan-elle-more/

https://www.valuemag...e_magazines.asp

The subscriptions change all the time too, so you will find others that are not there today. 

Economist I have seen on Rewardsgold as well as the Wall Street Journal.   It might have been on other ones too.    Just have to keep your eye on it. 

• Like 2

I signed dd up for dance classes this fall at a studio where she danced previously (several years ago). For some crazy reason, when I signed her up I wasn't focused on the price and after choosing her classes and completing all the paperwork (and finally given the total cost!) I was really shocked at how expensive it is. Just today I learned of a newer studio where dd can take classes for half the price, so I'm going to look into it tomorrow. Funny thing is, several people have recommended fed this newer studio to me. Fingers crossed I can make it work out!!!

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 1

I signed dd up for dance classes this fall at a studio where she danced previously (several years ago). For some crazy reason, when I signed her up I wasn't focused on the price and after choosing her classes and completing all the paperwork (and finally given the total cost!) I was really shocked at how expensive it is. Just today I learned of a newer studio where dd can take classes for half the price, so I'm going to look into it tomorrow. Funny thing is, several people have recommended fed this newer studio to me. Fingers crossed I can make it work out!!!

Can you get your money back from the first place? 

• Like 1

I just came across someone selling really nice kitchen cabinets for a great price. From the looks and rough measurements they will work in our kitchen. She is going to get exact measurements to me tonight. If they work then that will go a long way to staying under budget for preparing the house to sell. The cabinet are $800. That leaves room in the budget to replace the countertop as well.

• Like 1

My dd took some classes at the first place over summer and we signed up for fall, but haven't paid anything yet.

I hope the new place works out!

Did someone want a flight to Athens? 

Great fares out of EWR

$426 from Oct- May including Thanksgiving but not Xmas

on Emirates

• Like 1

If anyone here has a shopyourway account, it's worth logging in to check for offers. I logged in today to check on the status of an order and discovered two offers for $12 off of $12 bedding / bath and another $12/$12 for shoes. 

If you don't have one, and have a sears / kmart store nearby - GET a shopyourway account. I've gotten so much in free offers and discounts from it. 

Three new pillows and a pair of tennies for DD for less than $5. And I'll pick them up today when I go grab the rest of my stuff. Better take my cart :)

• Like 1

I found a mirror that is just right for our new bathroom for $35 on Saturday. Everything else I was looking at was priced much higher. Woot!! Kirklands. Go figure.

I have to figure out how to pay the $460 I'll owe for choir this fall by Aug 28. It's worth it. My ds's psychiatrist has high praise for the director - that's enough for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You guys the kitchen cabinets are perfect and the measurements are spot on. Dh is going to pick them up while I'm on my road trip. The total is $1000 for 13 cabinets. We didn't need all of them for the kitchen but took them all because some of the ones we don't need will be converted to bathroom vanities and laundry room storage. This saved a ton on our budget to get the house ready to sell.

• Like 1

You guys the kitchen cabinets are perfect and the measurements are spot on. Dh is going to pick them up while I'm on my road trip. The total is $1000 for 13 cabinets. We didn't need all of them for the kitchen but took them all because some of the ones we don't need will be converted to bathroom vanities and laundry room storage. This saved a ton on our budget to get the house ready to sell.

Awesome!  I am glad it worked out for you. 

• Like 1

I'm having internet issues, lost a post yesterday, since it flooded this Spring it seems to go out easily when it rains.

Mostly I've been staying home, although we did have a party/memorial this weekend. I was glad I had bought plenty of groceries as we had plenty to share.

Upcoming expenditures:

hair cut- end of the month- it has been 6 months. For awhile I did it myself as I couldn't find anyone I liked but then I didn't care for it with thyroid disease and pregnancies my hair has become a little crazy. Anyway, I finally found someone I liked to cut my hair, it is $50 (with tip) but she does such a good job and I can wash and go. These days I'm living in a bun because it is too crazy to wear down (my hair is CRAZY thick and wavy). I'm so psyched to finally have hair I can fix again.

dr's consult- need to go over last labs 

Scout's- still not sure how much this will be. Ds starts back to Boy Scouts next week and dd1 and 2 start back to AHG in Sep. I know AHG is $52 for reg for them both and money for a uniform if we can't find dd1's uniform- how it went missing I don't know. Ds has $25 deposit for camp due and I think $20 for registration. But there might also be some other things I'm forgetting.

I've upped grocery spending big time the last 2 weeks but then again we weren't eating extravagantly. Going super low has actually made me feel better about spending more. I saw how low we could reasonably go (without compromising nutrition)

I got the internet down.  Not as far as I wanted it, but I still may call and try and figure more out. 

Ya, for making some progress!

Awesome deal, kitchen stuff is so expensive.

I found a mirror that is just right for our new bathroom for $35 on Saturday. Everything else I was looking at was priced much higher. Woot!! Kirklands. Go figure.

I have to figure out how to pay the $460 I'll owe for choir this fall by Aug 28. It's worth it. My ds's psychiatrist has high praise for the director - that's enough for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet on the mirror!

Looks like you have 2 wks to come up with the money for the choir, hopefully that is enough time.

Through August 31st, hop on over to Swap.com where you can score an EXTRA 50% off select KidĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Clothing and Shoes including clearance when you enter the promo code BACK2SCHOOL50 at checkout! Plus, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll get FREE shipping on your first purchase of $10 or more Ă¢â‚¬â€œ no promo code necessary.

http://hip2save.com/2017/08/18/whoa-50-off-entire-kids-order-on-swap-com-largest-online-consignment-thrift-store/

• Like 1

We went shopping today. Stocked up on some groceries and spent about $20 for supplies and food for our new baby kitten (the kids are smitten). 

Going today to get passports for our eventual trip.

Dh picked up some Chik fil a last night, he had a Scout meeting and the dinner they served was wretched he said, he says I spoil him too much!

We went shopping today. Stocked up on some groceries and spent about $20 for supplies and food for our new baby kitten (the kids are smitten). 

Going today to get passports for our eventual trip.

Dh picked up some Chik fil a last night, he had a Scout meeting and the dinner they served was wretched he said, he says I spoil him too much!

Oh were are you going? 

With the kids?