Menu

How long does a cooler stay cool in a hot car?

Garga

I'm going to an amusement park this coming week.  It'll be 90 degrees at the park. We always get the munchies after being at the park all day and usually stop at McDs on the way home, but this time I need to save my money, so we'll have to bring our own late night snack.

I was hoping to take a cooler with food for the drive home--just sandwiches probably.  The cooler will be in the car from the time I leave my house at 10:30 until the park closes at 10 at night.  So, about 12 hours.  

Will the cooler stay cold enough to store lunchmeat sandwiches and mayo for 12 hours in a super hot car?  We won't open it once I pack it until 10 that night.

ETA:  Looks like the cooler might be a bust.  I think I'll still take it, but pack a bunch of frozen water bottles in it so that by the time we're ready to leave, they'll be liquid.

Anyone have ideas of what I could take for our snacks that can get a little warm in our melty cooler?  I can't think beyond Doritos right now.

Edited by Garga_

It depends on the cooler. I have a cooler bag and regular cooler that wouldn't keep the food cool enough unless you replaced the ice. I also have a 5 day cooler for fishing (I think) that would keep the food cool enough. It wasn't expensive, it's an igloo that was around $30.

It depends on the cooler. I have a cooler bag and regular cooler that wouldn't keep the food cool enough unless you replaced the ice. I also have a 5 day cooler for fishing (I think) that would keep the food cool enough. It wasn't expensive, it's an igloo that was around $30.

I don't have a 5 day cooler and won't be able to get one.  One is styrofoam and one is a Rubbermaid Ice Chest.  Nothing fancy.  

Maybe our snacks will have to be a bag of Doritos instead of a sandwich.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Yeah I agree that a 5 day cooler would be best in that situation. It would also depend on the car. If it is was in a trunk I would think it would be better then if it was in the back of a minivan (for instance). 

Yup---back of a minivan!  

This is not boding well.  :D

Agree it might make it if you pre-chill everything, pack it with a thick block of ice plus ice all around it in ziplock bags and then maybe pack the cooler itself in chilled blankets.  Insulation to keep the cold in is your friend.  You might freeze some grapes, too.  They can act to keep things cold longer and be thawed when you get back to the van.

Do you have time to experiment ahead of time?  Try it out and see how long the food stays cold?

• Like 2

What about hard salami (or something similar) on the sandwiches and then add the mayo from packets when it's time to eat? Then even if the cooler doesn't stay super cold you will at least know the mayo hasn't spoiled. I can usually get the packets from the deli section at my grocery store.

• Like 3

Do you have access to dry ice? Our Walmart sells it and some grocery stores do too. 

Failing that, I'd freeze a large block of ice instead of using all ice cubes. It takes longer for a block of ice to melt. 

Starting with frozen sandwiches also helps as does covering the cooler with blankets. 

Yes, dry ice would do the trick.  It's crazy effective.  Much colder than normal ice.  And I agree with the suggestions about extra insulation and also putting a bunch of frozen water in there.

Additionally you might consider using those little mayo envelopes from fast food places, and adding the mayo at the last minute before eating. Or possibly buying a little jar of mayo and not opening it until right before you use it.  I would avoid meat in the sandwiches.  Cheeses and/or peanut butter would be safer.