Menu

What do you use for Bible Curriculum/Studies?

mamato4girls

I started using Memoria Press Christian Studies last year. They use the Golden Bible along with the program. I can't recall what grades they say the three year program is written for, but it's perfectly fine with older children (in fact, I think a lot of it would be difficult for youngers). The first two years cover the Old Testament and the last year covers the New Testament. I really, really like the thoroughness of the program and all the extras included in the teacher's guide.

We are on our 3rd year of Memoria Press' Bible, using the Children's Golden Bible. It is a very thorough account of all the major stories in the Bible. I believe it is designated for children in 3rd(first one)-5th (last one) grade. Honestly, it is very difficult and while I wouldn't not use for these grades I would just take the difficulty into account.

I just found out about Lamp & Quill and find the idea very intriguing. It takes you through the entire Bible in 6yrs with different lessons for different age groups but still the same Bible reading.

HTH

I've been struggling with this. For PreK and K I read from a Bible storybook daily. For 1st, she read the Beginner's Bible daily. Last year, in 2nd, we used Tapestry of Grace Y1 and used their Bible plan. This year we're in TOG Y2 and I was at a loss as to what to use. I started the year with Explorers, Beginnings II, I think. The level for lower grammar or beginner readers. It was way to easy and simple for her. We had already covered everything in the lessons previously. Then I tried the next level of Explorers, Discovery. That didn't work either.

So we just started a "Discover 4 Yourself," study on the book of John. We've only been doing it for three days but so far it's a big hit. She loves doing it and I think she's learned more in the last three days than she did in the previous two months. She wasn't quite ready for the reading and writing level required so I'm working closely with her and we're discussing as we go. She really enjoyed marking the key words in the text and I think that in itself was a huge learning experience for her.

Anyway, I'll be closely following this thread for more ideas.

Kris

Edited by Confuzzled

Bible Study Guide for All Ages would work nicely with your ages. I love it because you can use it with all dc, just getting the right level activity pages for them. It's one of the best Bible programs out there, in my opinion; very thorough. You can find out more on their website, just do a search for the name (I can't remember the site).

I've used this on and off over the years. This year we are reading through our Bibles chronologically and adding in different activities after each reading. I have the activity sheets, however, and pull them out whenever I can to reinforce a lesson.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

They are not leveled for grade, in fact, you can do them anytime between grades 3 and 8.

I will use them when the time comes, but for now I am doing Truth and Grace Memory Books, and Bible Stories from Rod and Staff (ABC Bible people, and the 123 Bible story book). I don't know if you're into catechism, but we use the Children's Baptist Catechism in song format. It helps them to learn it. Both the Truth and Grace Memory Books and the CD of catechism can be found at http://www.founderspress.com/shop/store.php

I have three parts to our Bible curriculum:

1) Scripture memory

2) Bible Story/Lesson

3) Doctrinal words/concepts

I also really like that part of Truth and Grace memory books is memory of traditional songs and hymns, like for age 2-3 they have to learn Jesus Loves Me and the Doxology along with catechism questions 1-3 and Scripture memory. The books are written with NKJV, but I just supplement KJV for our memory work. It's a great guide.

We tried it for 2 weeks with my 11yo and he hated it. I decided to drop it and continue our bible time with him the way I'd been doing it with my older son until this year.

Until this year, my older has just simply read the bible and we'd talk about what he read later in the day. He liked reading alone, but I'd always try to read what he read that day so I could discuss it with him. He always enjoyed the One Year Bible for Kids, but last year asked to read through Eigermeir's (sp?) Children's Bible.

After our 2 week try with Explorers with my 11yo son, we went back to just reading and discussing the One Year Bible for Kids.

My oldest is doing Bible Study Guide for All Ages, and I really like it (so does she). I have my younger dc in Children's Bibles, but will eventually move them over as well.

Another program I will probably use down the road is Lamp and Quill. It is set up much like BSGFAA, but has more options (crafts, additional coloring pages, more depth, ect...).

Heather

We've enjoyed the Veritas Press Bible curriculum; it goes very well with the VP history program, in that it presents Biblical events within their historical contexts. I do have to supplement VP with selected memory passages, catechism and other items, as VP is more "academic" than "devotional/applicational." Currently, we are memorizing the sixth chapter of Ephesians and the books of the Bible (mainly for the first grader; the older ones have been over this once already).

HTH!

We are using Positive Action for Christ this year. They have regular year long curricula for K-6th, then move into individual studies or various kinds and lengths for upper middle and high school. Each week has character traits to cover with them, also.

My K ds really likes it. The workbooks are colorful and engaging. He loves workbooks, though. My dd doesn't, but she doesn't like workbooks. I feel part of why she doesn't like it is she's having to move in to more thought provoking questions instead of just straight, simple answers. She really gets upset when she doesn't know something or get answers right, so I feel that she thinks she'll be wrong. I'm wavering on continuing it. I've thought about putting the workbook aside and just read and discuss it. I really like the topics for her (i.e. finding God's will, resisting temptation, being filled with the Spirit, and a study of Christ and Revelations). I also have her reading sections of the bible with our history (MOH, Vol 1.).

Bible Study Guide student pages for my 2nd grader (right now I see no need for the TM, the student pages are self contained)

And...

We were using Explorer's for my 8th grader, but he didn't like it, so we have switched to Christian Liberty Press's bible curriculum and he is much happier. :)

Blessings,

Dee

For my ds' we are using the Bible program that comes with Sonlight core 100 - Why Pray?, God's Will; God's Best by Josh McDowell and Kevin Johnson, The Bible Jesus Read by Philip Yancy, and Evidence for Jesus by Ralph O. Muncaster. Within their schedule they have memory verses. I will also use at some point What the Bible is all about by Henrietta Mears.

My dd is currently reading through the Bible - her choice and loving it. I wanted to use the Memoria Press Christian Studies but it was taking the enjoyment out of learning for her and became a chore so we dropped it. Based on her style of learning I am eyeing How to Study Your Bible for Kids by Kay Arthur.

HTH

It's written for use in fairly conservative Lutheran schools, about 4 days per week so there is a lot of content.

The specifically Lutheran parts tend to be minimal and focussed. So, for instance, IIRC, the fifth grade curriculum was all Bible except a unit of 2-3 weeks on the life and work of Luther.

This year I'm doing the Church History book with DD, who is in 7th grade. This has been an outstanding rounding out of her world history studies from a Christian but not all that Providential perspective.

I believe that the second semester of the 7th grade curriculum is focussed on the Old Testament, and the first of the 8th grade curriculum is focussed on the New Testament. The second semester of the 8th grade curriculum is about social issues.

Since DD is taking catechism/confirmation classes as well, I think that we will probably spread the Church History book over the whole school year and do the Social Issues book next, starting whenever we are finished with the CH book. Then we'll do the OT and NT as we have time, as she has already studied those so much. I think that their thinking is that a lot of kids who attend Lutheran schools go on to public high schools for 9th grade, so covering ethical issues and social issues right before that leaves it fresh in their minds.

The Bible. Straight through. No jumping around to little bits.

This is a passion of mine, because of the way I was misled in my younger days by folks who all had different little bits they were quoting & disproving each other with.

We don't use stories about the Bible, but a full Bible. However, we use an easy-reader's Bible, the NIrV.

For my high schooler, I had her just read through the Bible, and I added questions just basically to keep her awake & draw a few connections. The best was the Greenleaf Guide questions, because it was short & chronological, not jumping all over the place. Something is usually needed to bring the readings into long-term memory. I know moms who just have the kids summarize the major things from each book, & we've done a little of that, too.

My now-7th grader has been doing Bible with MFW since 3rd grade, and is always reading the real Bible as well as often extra books of the Bible on our own. MFW took him pretty thoroughly through the OT & NT first, not reading every chapter & verse but reading chronologically so he knew exactly what & where he was reading. In high school, MFW will have him reading the entire thing.

Just my passion :o)

julie

This year we are using Wise Up! by Positive Action for Christ. It is easy to use, and heavy on application. It is meaty, and calls examination of one's self. There are lots of scriptures to look up, so it is some work.We are happy with it! We have done lots of expositional study with CLP's Studying God's Word and Rod and Staff, and this year I wanted something that calls for more application.

My dd is also doing devotional reading using "Heaven for Kids" by Randy Alcorn (just started) and the CLE Reading book Open Windows (just finished). The CLE reader has wonderful, Christian-based stories and poems that are not too preachy.

Next year, we will begin Rod and Staff's 5-8 Bible series (I think). I think next year's devotional reading will include "Don't Waste Your Life" by John Piper and the next CLE reader.

HTH!

Edited by Tami