Menu

Ok, are chips really that bad for you?!?

lewber

Okay, then that means they are made with real milk, which means calcium for strong bones and teeth! Totally healthy!

Actually, I have a crazy story about Cheez-Its. DH belongs to the Kellogg's rewards program and, we didn't even know it, but every time I bought Cheez-Its at the store during a certain time we were entered into some sweepstakes. He ended up winning $10,000 from my Cheez-It purchases! He got a call from Kellogg's and thought it was a scam. We didn't believe it until we actually got the check. Actually, I still don't believe it, but it's true.

Ok one of my kids is a serious cheese-itz fan and could use a nice lump of cash for college expenses. How does one enroll in this rewards program?

• Like 1

Okay, then that means they are made with real milk, which means calcium for strong bones and teeth! Totally healthy!

Actually, I have a crazy story about Cheez-Its. DH belongs to the Kellogg's rewards program and, we didn't even know it, but every time I bought Cheez-Its at the store during a certain time we were entered into some sweepstakes. He ended up winning $10,000 from my Cheez-It purchases! He got a call from Kellogg's and thought it was a scam. We didn't believe it until we actually got the check. Actually, I still don't believe it, but it's true.

Wow! That is amazing!!!! :hurray:

• Like 1

I thought the organic varieties don't contain the bad oils?

There are layers and layers of this.  All fried chips/crisps that I have seen are essentially empty calories with a lot of salt.  We all need some salt, but most don't need it in the quantities that are made available by the volumes of chips that most people eat.  The oil in organic chips may be preferable to the standard kind, but it doesn't change the basic nature of the item.

I think of chips in terms of what they replace: they satisfy a snack want/need that might be satisfied by carrot sticks (for the crunch) and hummus (for the fat).  With the carrots and hummus you get fibre, micro-nutrients and protein.  With the chips you get.... calories.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

I think of chips in terms of what they replace: they satisfy a snack want/need that might be satisfied by carrot sticks (for the crunch) and hummus (for the fat).  With the carrots and hummus you get fibre, micro-nutrients and protein.  With the chips you get.... calories.

And we do need calories, too.

It's all a question of moderation. There's nothing intrinsically bad about the calories in chips, as part of a balanced diet. 

• Like 3

And we do need calories, too.

It's all a question of moderation. There's nothing intrinsically bad about the calories in chips, as part of a balanced diet. 

I agree, but as I said the quantities of chips that people (me included) tend to eat are not moderate and do displace other nutrients.

• Like 2

I agree, but as I said the quantities of chips that people (me included) tend to eat are not moderate and do displace other nutrients.

I have no problem eating a handful of chips and stopping . . .

UNLESS I'm on a road trip and I have a can of Pringles. Oh man, then I only stop if someone makes me share. I can't bring those into the house at all.

• Like 1

Chip eater here.  Herr's Sour Cream and Onion are my favorite, but their regular and BBQ are good too.  We switch to Utz for tortilla chips.

No regrets.  I'll take chips over anything sweet and baked every single time there's a choice.

But I don't have overeating problems - who knows why?  I pour a bowl or put some on my plate and that's it for the day.

FWIW, my typical blood numbers are all in the "just fine" range.  I am one of those who needs more salt than most people, so that's helpful with my vice (or maybe causes it?).

ETA:  Pringles (all varieties) and Cheez Its would go bad if it were up to me to eat them...  I guess I'm picky.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

There are layers and layers of this.  All fried chips/crisps that I have seen are essentially empty calories with a lot of salt.  We all need some salt, but most don't need it in the quantities that are made available by the volumes of chips that most people eat.  The oil in organic chips may be preferable to the standard kind, but it doesn't change the basic nature of the item.

No one will ever convince me that carrot sticks and hummus can substitute for chips.

I might be willing to give it a try when someone invents carrot sticks and hummus that taste like chips, but until then, I'm sticking with my chips and will get my fiber, protein, and other nutrients elsewhere. ;)

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I'm eating chips as I type this.

• Like 6

No one will ever convince me that carrot sticks and hummus can substitute for chips.

I might be willing to give it a try when someone invents carrot sticks and hummus that taste like chips, but until then, I'm sticking with my chips and will get my fiber, protein, and other nutrients elsewhere. ;)

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I'm eating chips as I type this.

:lol:

You've probably never done anything silly like virtuously eat healthy carrots and hummus when you want potato chips...and then decide to eat the chips, too?

That's probably just me...

:leaving:

• Like 5

:lol:

You've probably never done anything silly like virtuously eat healthy carrots and hummus when you want potato chips...and then decide to eat the chips, too?

That's probably just me...

:leaving:

I'd rather not say.

But it might not be just you... ;)

Sometimes it's good to reward healthy behavior with a little treat... like maybe a nice bag of Doritos...

Or so I've heard.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

That would make it a balanced, complete meal.

Seriously, as much as I like carrots and hummus, a meal they make not.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2