Menu

low cost Math

beka87

Rod and Staff. I have used it all of the way through. 

Why? I tried it when I first started hsing, and just moved my kids all of the way through the program. It worked for us. Inexpensive. No frills. Can pass the text on to the next student. It is straightforward arithmetic. To me, it fits right into the classical model. It encompasses a lot of memorization if you do the oral work daily. It is pretty much mastery based, but incremental so that new concepts are very easy to get a bit at a time. It worked for both of my kids who are very different types of learners. 

I'll second MEP if she needs it to be free or Math Mammoth if she's willing to spend, though I've always heard CLE is good too.

Khan and free drill sites could be a good resource for her. And Alcumus for the 7th grader if she needs a little more challenge.

I can usually find a coupon code for Math Mammoth. I didn't use the homeschool buyer's co-op sales because they wanted me to buy in sets (ie. grades 1-6. Not sure if that is always the case).

Directly on the site you can usually find a Thanksgiving sale in Nov. Sometimes they have a sale through another seller like CurrClick. I believe Kagi is no longer an option.

I clicked through my old emails and I got sales in January and August. So maybe something in August will be the next sale.

Math Mammoth. If you have questions you can email her and get a response. There are free placement tests online to print. If you need to spot fix areas, then there are separate units available. A good solid mastery program. There are also cumulative review packets that are optional but good to keep skills sharp. Tests are also included though I rarely use those.