Menu

How to teach grammar to DC who struggles?

DC really struggles with basic parts of speech.  He has been in traditional school and struggles to understand these concepts, seems to have a basic understanding, but then struggles with retention. 

Any experience trying to teach a student with these struggles?  Hsing this upcoming year for 4th grade. 

I would think repetition. I used CLE LA with my grammar weak kid. It finally stuck. CLE (Christian Light Education)  has a lot of spiral/repetition built into the program. But I would think he may not be getting a ton of grammar instruction in traditional school. He may not be as weak as you think once you do targeted instruction. 

Copywork and analyzing it.  As 8 Fill's the Heart outlines in this thread (beginning in post #33).   Takes the  grammar out of the workbook and makes it real.

I  also use the LA  charts from CLE to remind my student who has working memory issues and needs the extra help. 

But I do think it is absolutely normal for a rising 4th grader to not remember all the parts of speech all the time.   :)

• Like 1

DC really struggles with basic parts of speech.  He has been in traditional school and struggles to understand these concepts, seems to have a basic understanding, but then struggles with retention. 

Any experience trying to teach a student with these struggles?  Hsing this upcoming year for 4th grade. 

I would expect children that young to "struggle" with grammar. :-) which is also to say that I would not worry about his being able to do well in grammar next year (or the year after). Whatever you decide to use, approach it as if he has never studied grammar before, and expect him to do well. If he doesn't understand something right away, it will be because he doesn't understand it right away, not because he is struggling. :-)

My favorite for children of all ages is Easy Grammar.

• Like 3

We use Grammar Land and a pdf book that goes with it based on Montessori symbols. The symbols help a lot because like goes with like: all the triangles are related to each other, the circles are related to each other...it makes sense in a kid's head.  Slowly moving from that, to color coding, to straight diagramming and more intense grammar exercises helps a lot.

To play a game. For example, there are several baskets with different titles. On each basket, you can see the picture which has something to do with a part of speech. But it will be better if the meaning will be clear to the child. And then he must gather different pictures to different baskets. There are pictures with different words which belong to different parts of speech. For example, "ball" we put into the basket named "NOUN" (something which we can touch and do anything that we want to do with this thing). A picture where we can see that somebody is writing (a verb - a process of action) we put into the basket with the title "VERB" and go on...Am I clear? :hat:  Or the game like UNO: d9db2a4b2f1de02a51c155e6b1749dfa.jpg

We used this: 

Grammar Cop (Funnybone Books, Grades 3-5) Paperback â€“ January 1, 2004. A fun little workbook. Photocopy the pages to make many sets.  A page a day. Maybe 10 minutes.  We would go through the book a couple of times in a row, several times a year. 

Fix It helped my boys see grammar. I don't know if I'd use it long term, but for a year or two it can work wonders.

DD was hit or miss with grammar until 6th grade.  Fix It!  was what she needed to see how grammar fits together.  Maybe it was her age.  Not sure.  She struggles no more.:)

• Like 1

FREE: This old Montessori book has grammar lessons starting on page 39. Excuse the politically incorrect labels and phrases. But this is worth reading.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZcVFAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Maria+Montessori%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfheOA0N_UAhVCSSYKHTI5Dbw4FBDoAQgnMAE#v=onepage&q&f=false

Sentence Family

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=058940

FREE: A Child's Own English Book

https://archive.org/details/childsownenglis00ballgoog

• Like 1

I haven't had much luck with retention with my fifth grader. He can cite the definition of a noun as per fll but he's just as likely to think it's the definition of a verb.

He did say to me the other day he doesn't think he remembers it because we don't do it often enough.

However I think we are going to trial the grammar galaxy programme for the rest of the year for something fun and see how that works out.