Menu

How do your boys get exercise in the winter?

We don't have access to indoor gym classes or any organized sports in the winter. We live in Northern IN, so much of the winter it is very cold. The boys do go outside every day if possible, but they don't get enough energy out. What do you do? Is there anything I can give them for Christmas to help?

We don't have access to indoor gym classes or any organized sports in the winter. We live in Northern IN, so much of the winter it is very cold. The boys do go outside every day if possible, but they don't get enough energy out. What do you do? Is there anything I can give them for Christmas to help?

A huge exercise ball to bounce and roll on, and a wide open space somewhere in the house.

Do you have a basement?

We do have a basement, but it is finished and is our school room. The boys' toys (legos, Play Mobil) are in a room down there too. There isn't enough room to be playing like your boys are able. That kind of space would be great!

Any chance there is an indoor pool in your town? Our family likes swimming in the winter. In addition to swim classes we have family swim sessions three times a week..

Well, here in sunny California I don't have that problem :) BUT I hate wind so on windy days or lazy mom days we do the following:

Wii Fit :D

Have a dance party

Exercise videos ( I like Leslie Sansone walk at home series - she makes one for kids and one for teens)

If you have a large enough space jump rope can be done safely indoors

And of course yoga

Hmmm, how many bedrooms do you have? Could you combine the kids to free up one and either put the toys there or make it an "active room"? Perhaps one of the Little Tikes inflatable bounce houses?

Well, we already have all 3 boys in one bedroom. The baby is in her own room and dh and I in a room. We don't have a ton of extra space around here. I could school up on our main floor and leave the basement empty for more active play. But, I don't know where I'd go with all my school stuff. I could make it work though.... I'll have to give it some more thought. Thanks for the ideas.

We do a variety of things in the winter: going up and down the stairs, race along the basement, stationary bike, trampoline, jump rope, wheelbarrow races, Wii Fit and Dance Dance Revolution.

We usually do a lot of one thing for a while, then we get bored and we switch to something else!

We have an floor exercise mat, an exercise ball and a mini trampoline in our basement. We also let them kick soccer balls/throw footballs down there. It does cover their need for exercise, but it still doesn't wear them out sometimes. After an hour with them at the birth center today the nurse teaching the siblings class said to me, "I don't know how you handle their energy every day." I don't. *sigh* *putting bag over head* LOL

Last year our son spent the winter mastering the jump rope. If you have a bit of space (no ornaments in the way!) it can tire them out pretty effectively. We learned the chemical elements at the same time! A hula hoop is very cheap and also takes similar practice to master. They might enjoy that too.

There are also all sorts of circus skills equipment. Have you seen these? You pedal them with your feet, not moving far very fast but it is a fun way to practice balance.

Our children love their stilts too. In fact we made them quite simply ourselves. They are rather good on them now. You need a floor you aren't too precious about for them although our carpet seemed to hold up fine.

We use swimming to keep fit on bad weather days, but I see this isn't an option. Otherwise we make the most of the days we can get out.

As other people have said, snow can be pretty tiring stuff!

Canadian here. Winter is just a time for a different set of outdoor sports.

I highly recommend ball hockey as a great energy expender. You can get a couple of sticks, some tennis balls, and a hockey net and they'll be all set.

In the words of Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in "Wayne's World": "Game on!"

I agree with this. W/3 boys, you always have 2 shooters and a goalie. Plus, they have to shovel the driveway to get a playing surface.

As an aside, if they boys do have roller skates for roller hockey, my boys don't wear them on really wet pavement...they say the skates can get ruined doing this repeatedly.

Today my 5 and 3 year old boys collected all the blankets and pillows and piled them in the family room and had a wrestling/crazy time. We live in a really small space: 2 bedroom apartment and our winters get very rainy so we get creative with what we can do in that small space. I also use Tae Bo videos and it works well for them. Oh! We have a game called "Hyper Dash" and it's a great indoor energy buster and you don't need a lot of space to play.

And...... only 6 more months until spring :001_smile: