Menu

Anyone have a solution to this or jawm

lynn

Does the yearbook require a professional photo?  I know our local schools will allow any photo as long as it fits a list of guidelines for the background and size.  You may be able to take it yourself.  You might also ask the school if someone from the yearbook committee can take the photo.

I'm not sure where you live but not all JC Penney Portrait Studios have closed.  Mine is still open :)  Did you mean in your town?  Can you go out of town?

Closest JCPenney now is 75 miles if the sight is accurate.

Why can't you take the pictures yourself?

I don't have a decent camera it's okay for candid fun, family photos for a scrapbook or 3x5 but not something that will be 11x13 canvas larger.    But since posting several names of friends and acquaintances have come to mind who I know have good quality cameras who may be able to take some photos. 

• Like 2

I haven't had professional photos done in years so I don't know if his price is reasonable. It sounds awfully high to me, especially for the outfit change, but I don't know. If it was me I'd not want to pay that much.

Oh I see you might have others you can turn to. Definitely get estimates from them.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

If there is a local community college with an art department, maybe put up a "photographer wanted" flier on the department bulletin board. There might be someone really talented looking to build his/her portfolio.

This is a good idea.  Also ask around among friends, coworkers, etc.  You might find a talented amateur who can do good work for you.

• Like 3

I have a good friend who is good at the camera, and she took senior pics for some of my kids.  And one year, I just took a few pics myself. But it sounds like you don't have that option at all?  That's strange...  I would imagine there are a lot of families where $40 for one little picture would be very difficult to come by.  I'd be frustrated too!

Umm, I'm not in my senior yearbook for a similar reason. IMO, I really wish I had just that one classic senior pic. I know it's popular to have all kinds of photos in different clothing options, but looking back over 20 years now, I wish for just one classic senior pic and for that to be in the yearbook.

I've never heard of a school not doing the photos for the yearbook free of charge. I thought you only normally pay if you purchase photos to keep. Are you absolutely sure?

As for the photos you want of your child for framing, I would definitely see if I could get them done myself (or by a close friend/family member) with a decent camera. Honestly, someone with an ipad or something should suffice. I don't think they have to have a traditional camera. Do any of your older children have camera phones that would suffice? Sometimes when I email pictures from my camera it will ask, "size large, medium, small" and I could choose the largest size if I was worried about quality.

• Like 1

To be in the year book they have to go through a particular photographer and that's the $40 just for that.

It was that way when I was in school too.

My daughters school allows outside pictures but the parameters are very, very specific.  Must be in digital form, certain size and resolution etc.  It would be hard to do (but not impossible) for a layman with a basic camera. 

• Like 1