Menu

Home Art Studio - worth the cost of supplies?

tdbates78

I know this question is highly subjective, but if you use Home Art Studio, do you find it worth the cost? I purchased three DVDs via homeschool buyers co-op but I'm just now getting around to checking out the supply list. I have twins, so there are things that I will need to double up on (the paint brushes, clay, and the set of markers). Right now my cart is at close to $130 at Jerry's Artarama. Yikes! I had no idea the supplies would be that expensive. However, from what I've seen I have been impressed with the projects, and if I put my girls in an art class it would likely cost more than this for a 6-8 week session.

Anyways, I guess I'm looking for opinions. If you've done this, do your kids love it? Do you find that it's worth the cost of all of the supplies? Have you been able to find some of the supplies elsewhere at a lower cost? I found a 30% off an entire online purchase today with Michaels but I'm having trouble finding comparable items.

Thanks! 

I buy cheaper alternatives to their supply kit from Amazon or Walmart or even Dollar Tree.

I've been on amazon but haven't had much luck. Most of the individual items on Jerry's Artarama aren't too expensive, its just that there are a lot of materials. I'm going to look around at Walmart and Michaels, in person, to see if I have any luck. $130 for art supplies is pretty steep!

I bought everything from Jerry's.  I'd like to say it was a package deal?  I may have put a few extra supplies in the cart since i was buying for 3, but not much more.  We did K last year and now into 1st with the same supplies.

I buy paint from crayola.  The paint I bought from Jerry's is not washable or hard to wash out.  I can't remember which, but I'm using paint by crayola instead. 

I'm sure I looked for the supplies elsewhere, but for some reason I bought from Jerry's.  Perhaps it was too time consuming for me?  I don't remember.

My kids do love HAS! 

I hear you!  We use it but lots of the supplies at Jerry's are for packages... Jerry's has a package of brushes so you'd only need one package for the kids to share since there are 10 brushes included or something like that.  Same with the markers/art kit.  It's large enough for all my kids to share together so we just bought one.  And they all use the same paper, I just tear them out of the pad.  For the individual brushes, you could probably find the same styles at JoAnns or Michaels for a bit less.  I think I only purchased one set of the individual brushes and my kids can figure out how to share them. :)  

And I'd suggest only buying for one learning level at a time.  There is overlap in the supplies and you don't necessarily need to double up on EVERYTHING to be able to use it with two kiddos.  

Have fun with the lessons!  My kids have really enjoyed doing it this year.

I had three kids doing it so I know what you mean! Jerry's was over priced IMO. I went to our Hobby Lobby and Michaels (which have daily 40% off coupons) and just bought the expensive items, like clay, one at a time. Tedious but cheap. The other stuff I bought cheap on amazon and walmart etc. It is worth it though. Good projects!

Heads up, the markers she uses that she calls "juicy color" haha is hard to find. We found some Sargent ones on amazon that are actually really great and comparable.

Thanks! The set at Jerry's is $87.50. I decide to not worry about the brands so much and ended up purchasing a lot of it on amazon. I saved quite a bit by purhasing a set of 24 watercolor tubes vs. the suggested 7 colors from a more expensive brand. Amazon had a nice boxed set of oil pastels and a set of brushes that came with two of the paint palettes. I was able to get a majority of the supplies for one DVD for around $30 on amazon and will purchase the more expensive or easier to attain items, like some of the paper, with a coupon at one of the local stores or Walmart/Target. I figure that at 7 years old they don't necessarily need expensive supplies!

• Like 3

Husband is an artist.  He requires the more expensive art supplies and I found Jerry's to be great prices.  I bought for 3 levels at a time and it was around $120 or so.  And it's not like they use them all up in the lesson.  Dh always wants high quality supplies in the house.  

And I have loved the HAS lessons.

Home Art Studio is one of my favorite things we've done. I like that it's easy for me, the kids like it, and it actually teaches stuff that I don't feel like doing myself. I don't think the art supplies required are excessive, but you may be better off buying locally a little at a time instead of getting everything at once. I also felt free to adapt the lessons to what we had at home. She calls for watercolors but I'm out of watercolors? Acrylics will do. Reading through the lesson planner helped me decide if a substitution would be ok or not. Sometimes a supply is needed because it's sort of what the lesson is about, but sometimes it's not that big a deal. 

I do buy my kids at least middle quality art supplies- paints, pastels, brushes, colored pencils, etc. I think there's a definite difference in how they feel when you work with them, the finished products, and ultimately with how happy or frustrated you and your child will be with the projects. 

We have loved Home Art Studio. I found the supplies worth it except I bought much less expensive water colors from Amazon. They last a long time. Over several years I've replace a few things, but most things I ordered initially are still usable.

I think I will be happy with what I purchased on amazon. I didnt necessarily get the cheapest items, but they were all still fairly inexpensive and everything I purchased gets great reviews. I decided on a whole set of watercolor tubes, for example, instead of spending more on the six specific colors she listed. And I purchased a pack of brushes, with two pallettes included, for less than the cost of the specific four brushes on her list, and from the reviews they are decent brushes.

I'm excited to try it this upcoming school year after reading your reviews! I'm not the arts-and-crafts type and I love that they learn as they are doing their projects.

Edited by tdbates78

We've always used cheaper supplies. Typically things I find on sale at hobby lobby. Our paints don't get the same coverage as hers but we do it for fun and some learning. My kids are happy with the outcomes of their projects and I'm happy with not having to teach art. Once mine get older I will then invest in better supplies since I have a couple who are interested in art but I don't feel they are needed for mine yet. I was taken aback when I saw the suggested list and have thought of emailing her that it is shocking to some.

• Like 1

Okay after your fabulous reviews I'm intrigued. For those of you that have used it, slight s/o-if I have third and sixth graders, would you think I I could combine somehow? My younger is more detailed and careful than the sixth grader, who tends to be sloppy, so I was thinking maybe doing

Both in 4th? Or would this not work.

My older kids love the lower levels just as much as the older levels. I always tell people to start with the kindy disk, your kids will love it.

:iagree:

I'm not sure I would actually use the K level with older kids, but I'd have no qualms about the first grade disk.  First grade has an ancient civilizations theme loosely running through it, so you could do that one when ever you are studying that time period no matter the ages of the kids.

Wendy

• Like 1

My older kids love the lower levels just as much as the older levels. I always tell people to start with the kindy disk, your kids will love it.

I agree that the lower levels are fun for all. I've moved my kids up and down through the levels and there weren't issues. The older ones wouldn't get as much instruction perhaps (terms, specific techniques, etc), but the projects are fun regardless (I do them at times with my kids) and they can each work to their level. I forget how basic the K level is, but it was still fun.

There is a big difference in the quality of the RAS paints from Jerry's and the cheaper stuff. RAS seems to have better coverage, and it's easier to be successful with. I always buy the RAS paints now. Also, the construction paper that they recommend for the projects is bigger than standard, and the color and thickness are noticeably better. The water colors and markers that they recommended did not impress me. You might want to look at reviews for each of the products to determine what is worth paying a little more for.

Quality art supplies make a huge difference in both effort and final product in my opinion. I think splurging for the good stuff is absolutely worth it most of the time. However, I don't necessarily think that the bundled art supplies are super high quality and often bought the brands I preferred instead.