Menu

different muscle groups . .

gardenmom5

is there really that big a difference between muscles used for hiking and muscles used for biking?

I was talking to dd and she said she has to slow down for her dh when they hike (always been her preference) - but she can't keep up with him biking.  (his preference - he has like eight bikes.)

Are their bikes comparable in size, weight, style? Sure, there are differences in muscle groups between walking and biking, but the differences gained with a quality lightweight road bike vs something else would probably trump any differences in muscle groups. Especially if the dd is a muscular, fit hiker. 

Yes, very different. I used to bike a lot, and took a very good runner with me one day; she said that dhe couldn't walk for two days because her legs were so sore. Same thing happened to me when she took me on a revenge run.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

Are their bikes comparable in size, weight, style? Sure, there are differences in muscle groups between walking and biking, but the differences gained with a quality lightweight road bike vs something else would probably trump any differences in muscle groups. Especially if the dd is a muscular, fit hiker. 

I don't know how her bike compares to his - he made sure she has a good bike.  but he'll also do 100 mile rides.  He has quite a few bikes.

she loves to hike and has been known to hike halfway up a steep trail -  and walk someone back down who decided they couldn't do it - and still get to the top about the same time as everyone else in the group did. (that didn't turn back.)

If you picture the motions of a leg while hiking and while biking, you can see the angles are entirely different.  Add in the different postures, and you can see that the mid-body angle is different, too.  Just like when you do simple machines for physics in the science cycle, the angles change the forces needed to move the pieces.  In the case of the body, it also changes how much the smaller muscles are called to assist.  

(This is why cross-training is so heavily recommended, and why proper form is emphasized by good fitness professionals.  Just pointing that out b/c so many people think it's annoying, lol.)

• Like 3

I don't know how her bike compares to his - he made sure she has a good bike.  but he'll also do 100 mile rides.  He has quite a few bikes.

she loves to hike and has been known to hike halfway up a steep trail -  and walk someone back down who decided they couldn't do it - and still get to the top about the same time as everyone else in the group did. (that didn't turn back.)

So he is an avid cyclist and she is an avid hiker.  Along with differences in muscle groups, there would be differences in technique/skill for the two activities. Also, though the bike he offered your dd may have been "good" it may not have been the right size for her leg length - especially if he bought it to use himself. 

The speed differences between a fast biker vs slower biker,  would be much greater than a fast hiker vs slower hiker. 

So, for your dh and dd to cycle at a more even pace, she needs a fast bike that fits her body well, while he should ride a slow, heavy bike.  And for them to hike at a more even pace, she carries the pack. 

Edited by wintermom

So he is an avid cyclist and she is an avid hiker.  Along with differences in muscle groups, there would be differences in technique/skill for the two activities. Also, though the bike he offered your dd may have been "good" it may not have been the right size for her leg length - especially if he bought it to use himself. 

The speed differences between a fast biker vs slower biker,  would be much greater than a fast hiker vs slower hiker. 

So, for your dh and dd to cycle at a more even pace, she needs a fast bike that fits her body well, while he should ride a slow, heavy bike.  And for them to hike at a more even pace, she carries the pack. 

they bought the bike new, from a bike shop (when they were in washington where we have some really good ones) specifically for her - and she has very long legs.  she's 5'11".

Part of it is stamina, I think.  Hiking you can do in quick bursts with rests, or dawdle at times.  Biking requires a more continuous (though not completely continuous) type of effort.

Yes, it is definitely partly stamina for me. It is also the muscles used, dh has monster quads (despite the fact that he doesn't really work out) and can easily smoke me on a bike with little effort.