Menu

Grape leaves

Beaniemom

I want to make stuffed grape leaves. This has always been a favorite dish of mine when we eat out but I've not made them at home. What would be my best bet at finding grape leaves? I live in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city if that impacts your suggestion.

I looked on Wegman's website and they carry grape leaves in a jar like Sparkly suggested. These say they are in vinegar. I guess this is why most recipes I've found say to rinse the leaves. I'm sure I can find a Middle Eastern grocery around too just not as close by as Wegmans. 

Thanks!

Glad you found some. I knew a lady who came here from Palestine, she grew her own grapes. She made a couple different kinds of stuffed grape leaves for me once just because I never had them, they were so good! They looked labor intensive to make though, like a special occasion food.

I've never seen fresh leaves in any store. In culinary school we made these using the jarred leaves. I assume that is how most people in fact make them.

I think she may have canned them herself. I don't remember the details, it was about 10 years ago.
  • Like 1

I made them once with fresh/raw leaves from the neighbor's vine that was growing over the wall onto our side, and I've made them multiple times with the jar variety in the pickling juice. It was easier to make and eat with the jar variety -- more "fiber-y" with the fresh leaves. My recipe says to first blanch the leaves in boiling water for 1 minute and then drain -- whether using fresh or jarred leaves. Works great here!

Be sure to remove the stem of each leaf and roll them up with the raised "veins" on the inside. Don't roll up too tight, as the rice in the filling does expand when you do the steamer/cooking. Get another family member or two to help with the rolling up, and it's really not that big a deal to make. The rolling is the most time-consuming part -- the front end has you partially cook the rice and other ingredients, and the last part is steam-cooking.

I see that Walmart is listed as carrying jars of grape leaves. In my Southwestern US city, all the major chain grocery stores carry a few jars -- usually next to the jars of other pickled vegetables or olives. Or in the ethnic food section. I just made these a month or two back, and there were only 2-3 jars, on a bottom shelf, next to other ethnic foods.

Enjoy! I make a meatless variety and they last in the fridge for a week, so you can enjoy them as an appetizer at several dinners, or eat them as your lunch entree. Yum! :) (And I'm not even Greek!  :laugh: )

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I've never seen fresh leaves in any store.  In culinary school we made these using the jarred leaves.  I assume that is how most people in fact make them. 

Because you don't live in California :D

I go to several markets that carry them fresh, particularly this time of year.

Bill

Lemon sauce?

RECIPE PLEASE!!!

SweetChild loves stuffed grape leaves, I just buy them at our grocery store deli. I should order some for her grad party, but I've never had lemon sauce! I think she'd like it.

I don't have my mom's recipe, but it's from a cookbook... I looked up "dolmades lemon sauce" and the results seem pretty standard. So yummy!

ETA: spelling

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 1