Menu

Gift for ordination?

Dmmetler

A friend of mine will be ordained at annual conference as a United Methodist pastor. She's 46 and went to seminary after being well established as an adult, so I don't think the usual college/grad school gifts apply. I can't make it to the actual event, so I definitely want to do something nice. Any ideas?

• Like 1

Is there a religious gift shop or such? When I was looking for First Communion gift ideas I lucked out at a Christian book store, but other ideas I had included gifts made or sold by nuns. I don't know what would appeal to this particular friend.

Does she need something to organize her Bible? (they sell little tabs for the pages) Or a Bible cover/case?

Well, if in that "usual college/grad gifts" you're including gift cards, I wouldn't nix that just yet.

I'm just slightly older than your friend, am considering going a similar route myself, and I would LOVE a gift card to

one of my favorite places. SO many gifts may be ordination specific, your friend may appreciate something unique.

Maybe a nice gift card to one of her favorite sit-down restaurants?

• Like 1

Amazob gift cards, or something from her wish list if she has one. Or an electronic study resource if she has one of those 'study suite' programs (accordance, logos).

A meaningful note about what her accomplishment and calling mean to you as a friend would probably be worth more than any gift.

Is there a religious gift shop or such? When I was looking for First Communion gift ideas I lucked out at a Christian book store, but other ideas I had included gifts made or sold by nuns. I don't know what would appeal to this particular friend.

Does she need something to organize her Bible? (they sell little tabs for the pages) Or a Bible cover/case?

If she's gotten through seminary, trust me, she doesn't need anything to organize her Bible.

• Like 5

I think Methodists share some liturgical traditions with Episcopalians. When a friend of mine was ordained, the most precious gift she received was hand embroidered church linens. Members of religious communities often do embroidery, but there are also commercial places.

Just an example, not recommending any particular place.

http://www.almy.com/Category/AltarCommunionLinens/parent/WebNav-ProductCategory?gclid=CPvnjJfDm9QCFYaEswodQ0MGgQ

My mother loved needlework, so I would buy good quality linen for her to embroider. The work she did was treasured.

Of course, your friend would have to have a liturgical outlook for that sort of gift....

ETA

Or a charitable donation? A lot of churches support the heifer project.

https://www.heifer.org/gift-catalog/animals-nutrition/index.html?mource=KIK1j16GP0015&gclid=CJGDnfTFm9QCFZqIswodf0IDkA

Edited by Alessandra

I ordered this https://www.etsy.com/listing/484651145/rainfall-rainbow-clergy-stole-priest

It's very appropriate in many ways and fits her personality, while not being so causal (there was a Dr. Seuss one that I think she would love, but the administrative board at her church might not!) as to raise eyebrows depending on which congregation the conference sends her to next.

I'll also do a gift card to something Fun :)

• Like 1