Menu

PCOS in teen--what are our options? Can anyone share experiences, successes, etc?

ILiveInFlipFlops

We're just starting down this path, but I'm reasonably sure this is what the diagnosis will be. DD exhibits just about every symptom we've seen except for acne (thank goodness for small favors!). Can anyone address what treatment options are out there? BCPs have already been mentioned to me by three different doctors, but I'm wondering if there are other, more natural options. I know about the diet and exercise etc., and we'll definitely be working our way toward better choices there (she is willing and able, at least in terms of exercise), but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with more direct treatments, supplements, etc.

One of the most obvious issues at the moment is excess facial hair :( DD just tried a Sally Hansen hair removal product that actually worked remarkably well, but is there a way to prevent the hair growth in the first place? 

Have many people had good experiences with BCPs as treatment? I'm a bit worried about exacerbation of depression/anxiety on the pill--we're already struggling with that on an ongoing low level. Though that's also a symptom of PCOS, so I guess there's a chance that BCPs might help relieve the depression? I don't know. I just feel like BCPs will treat the symptoms rather than looking for the underlying cause, but maybe that's the point--no one can pinpoint the cause. 

Anyway, if anyone can share experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. We're in the middle of so many other mini crises these days, I haven't had the time to devote to this that I usually would. 

Thanks all.

We're just starting down this path, but I'm reasonably sure this is what the diagnosis will be. DD exhibits just about every symptom we've seen except for acne (thank goodness for small favors!). Can anyone address what treatment options are out there? BCPs have already been mentioned to me by three different doctors, but I'm wondering if there are other, more natural options. I know about the diet and exercise etc., and we'll definitely be working our way toward better choices there (she is willing and able, at least in terms of exercise), but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with more direct treatments, supplements, etc.

One of the most obvious issues at the moment is excess facial hair :( DD just tried a Sally Hansen hair removal product that actually worked remarkably well, but is there a way to prevent the hair growth in the first place? 

Have many people had good experiences with BCPs as treatment? I'm a bit worried about exacerbation of depression/anxiety on the pill--we're already struggling with that on an ongoing low level. Though that's also a symptom of PCOS, so I guess there's a chance that BCPs might help relieve the depression? I don't know. I just feel like BCPs will treat the symptoms rather than looking for the underlying cause, but maybe that's the point--no one can pinpoint the cause. 

Anyway, if anyone can share experiences, I would greatly appreciate it. We're in the middle of so many other mini crises these days, I haven't had the time to devote to this that I usually would. 

Thanks all.

I have PCOS (although its symptoms are pretty much gone now), and two of my teen dds seem to as well.

I had electrolysis for my facial hair.  I might have done laser (faster, less painful) if it had been readily available back then.  My dds don't seem to have as much facial hair as I did, thankfully.  One has really dark leg and stomach hair, and is thinking of doing home laser treatment (they sell a thing for $500, and it gets good reviews but makes me nervous, but I figure we can try it on a patch...)

I was put on birth control for it in my 20's, and yes, it treated the symptoms (but didn't get rid of the facial hair).  But then when I got off when I was married and wanted kids, my body had *completely* forgotten how to regulate hormones and I didn't cycle at all for a year, then I ended up on fertility treatments, and after 3 years of that finally had twins.

After that, I tried treating it naturally.  There's some strong evidence that it actually goes back to insulin resistance, so I did a low-carb diet, tried some insulin-sensitizing herbs, and tried Vitex (aka chasteberry aka Vitex agnus castus) which is supposed to regulate the pituitary and hypothalamus to function correctly.  This is how I got kid #3 in just a couple of months of trying.

So, I'm fairly anti-BCP for PCOS.  But one dd is on them anyway, as she just doesn't want to deal with anything else.  She knows my story and made that decision anyway.  Other dd is doing nothing except wanting the home laser treatment.  I have strongly recommended she try Vitex, but she says she likes not having regular periods.  :glare:   And no one wants to cut out sugar (they're both skinny anyway - while for many PCOSers weight gain is a symptom, this is not the case in our family) - without any needed weight loss, it's hard to sell the don't eat sugar and carbs...

Maybe try Vitex?  I think that's safe and can't hurt, might help?  If your dd is open to a low carb diet, that can't hurt either.  I also took GTF Chromium as an insulin sensitizer for a while.  The insulin connection is well enough known that many doctors are now putting women with PCOS on Metformin (diabetes drug), but personally I'd try the other stuff first if she's willing.

Assuming other things have been ruled out first, note that the root of PCOS is insulin resistance.  Supplements to help insulin resistance might be one approach (e.g. I'd probably start with zinc).  Lower carb diets.  Metformin.  One important goal would be to prevent the progression to type 2 diabetes in a couple of decades.

ETA, way back in the old days, there was a time I was on BCP.  Regular-strength Demulen worked beautifully.  Other, low-dose ones were horrible for me (e.g. Allesse is one name I recall).

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Have PCOS. Diet and exercise helped. Honestly exercise helped before diet as it regulated blood sugar so that I *could* diet w/o feeling the constant cravings for sugar. PCP has me on metformin now but I'm not seeing any real difference -- no real negatives either though although I had to get the time of day right for taking it without feeling bad/low blood sugar. BCP regulated cycles but nothing else. 

Yes to the low carb and cutting out sugar. That, with exercise, should help a lot. I will say that for me, being on BCP has helped a lot with anxiety and depression. But you can always start with diet and exercise first and see how much of a difference that makes before trying BCP.

FWIW, super low carb indeed works like a charm for me (when I can stay on the wagon lol).  Throw in some exercise, and I'm good.  But, I think a super-low-carb way of eating is extra challenging for a teen.

Edited by wapiti

Low carb, low sugar, high protein, and exercise. These are the things that help. Metformin helps too. The only thing that helped with facial hair, for me, was/is electrolysis. This is an ongoing, long-term issue for me. Laser can actually exacerbate facial hair issues. I was never on BCPs long-term and fertility was an issue. I don't think it's the BCPs, it's the hormones making the outer shell of your eggs thicker and tougher for sperm to penetrate. My unassisted fertility was gone by 25. DH and I needed IVF.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I was put on birth control for it in my 20's, and yes, it treated the symptoms (but didn't get rid of the facial hair). But then when I got off when I was married and wanted kids, my body had *completely* forgotten how to regulate hormones and I didn't cycle at all for a year, then I ended up on fertility treatments, and after 3 years of that finally had twins.

After that, I tried treating it naturally. There's some strong evidence that it actually goes back to insulin resistance, so I did a low-carb diet, tried some insulin-sensitizing herbs, and tried Vitex (aka chasteberry aka Vitex agnus castus) which is supposed to regulate the pituitary and hypothalamus to function correctly. This is how I got kid #3 in just a couple of months of trying.

So, I'm fairly anti-BCP for PCOS. But one dd is on them anyway, as she just doesn't want to deal with anything else. She knows my story and made that decision anyway. Other dd is doing nothing except wanting the home laser treatment. I have strongly recommended she try Vitex, but she says she likes not having regular periods. :glare: And no one wants to cut out sugar (they're both skinny anyway - while for many PCOSers weight gain is a symptom, this is not the case in our family) - without any needed weight loss, it's hard to sell the don't eat sugar and carbs...

Maybe try Vitex? I think that's safe and can't hurt, might help? If your dd is open to a low carb diet, that can't hurt either. I also took GTF Chromium as an insulin sensitizer for a while. The insulin connection is well enough known that many doctors are now putting women with PCOS on Metformin (diabetes drug), but personally I'd try the other stuff first if she's willing.

wow thank you for posting.

I have spoken to doctors about my theory that pcos + early age bcp = body 'forgetting' how to cycle properly leading to more fertility issues. They said it's unlikely, but I have a very similar story. Vitex helped us with #3. #s 1 & 2 were clomid. #4 was a natural surprise, the only natural pregnancy to make it (2 didn't...)

It makes sense to me that a body already susceptible to fertility issues with pcos, who then suppresses ovulation hormonally, might struggle to rebalance those hormones.

I just discovered a couple years ago that I have PCOS!  After all these years, I didn't know it had a name.  I've passed it on to at least three of my dd's.  My hair is blonde so it's maybe not quite as big a deal, but tweezers and facial bleach are my good friends.  I did try electrolysis in the early days, and they scarred my chin.  (Under it, so you can't see it.)  Someday I'd like to get laser hair removal.  My cycles were very irregular, often only ovulating once or twice in a year.  Obviously it made becoming pregnant difficult!  I took a fertility drug -- Clomid -- for my first three, and after that everything started improving for some reason.  My cycles actually became regular for the first time in my life.  I still have facial hair though.  

My dd's have similar problems, but for one it is worse, and her hair is darker.  She has opted to go on birth control and spironolactone for hair growth.  It really does help, but it's not an all-natural answer.  We've looked into laser hair removal options, and she'll probably give that a try.  

I had no idea it was possibly related to insulin resistance.  That's interesting.  My dd above did become gluten-free a few years ago due to digestive problems, and feels great.  I'll have to ask her if she thinks her PCOS has improved.

For those who wonder if BCP caused their cycles to become irregular after going off of them, isn't it just as likely that it's simply the PCOS that is causing them to be irregular?  That's one of PCOS's main symptoms, isn't it?  I wasn't on BCP myself but my cycles were sure irregular!

My daughter (16) was diagnised with pcos in January.  Fortunate that it is mild and she does not have the excess facial and only mild acne. I recommend you treat with an endocrinologist over a gyn.  The gyn will prescribe bcp and that is it.  PCOS is an endocrine issue.

So far she has started on metformin for the insulin resistance. It is helping as she started getting regular spotty periods.  Endocrinologist just upped her dosage.

FOr supplements I have her take Vitamin Code Raw vitamin E (which includes a couple of other vitamins to aid absorbtion) and Vitamin B.  She also takes inositol.  

Diet and exercise are big factors. My daughter is a competitive swimmer which is probably why her case is considered mild. If your daughter is not already doing a consistent exercise routine it is time to get one. Low carb and low dairy for diet.  Eliminate completely if possible.  We love carbs and dairy so I have greatly reduced them in our diet but still offer them up on occasion.

A helpful website:

http://pcosdiva.com/

Ignore the constant "Buy my supplements, they are the best." You can find other options.

I have well controlled PCOS

My doctor sent me to a nutritionist, and it was the most amazing gift.  I was placed on a low-carb diet because the root cause of the PCOS symptoms is an insulin resistance (lower sugar in = less insulin produced = fewer hormone reactions to too much insulin).  After years and years of this diet, I can absolutely tell when I cheat.  

I'd ask for a nutritionist referral from her doctor.  It is usually covered by insurance.  They can help to not only proved encouragement to stick with the plan, but also to make sure that you aren't taking away too much of one nutrient or another when going low-carb.

My dd20 has been diagnosed with PCOS. She took bcp for several months, but she has decided she doesn't want to do bcp any more. She really wants to try something natural. Can you have PCOS without insulin problems? Her fasting blood sugar was good, and she isn't overweight -- though she does exercise and eat fairly healthily. The PCOS diagnosis was based on high testosterone levels and a sonogram of her ovaries.

My dd20 has been diagnosed with PCOS. She took bcp for several months, but she has decided she doesn't want to do bcp any more. She really wants to try something natural. Can you have PCOS without insulin problems? Her fasting blood sugar was good, and she isn't overweight -- though she does exercise and eat fairly healthily. The PCOS diagnosis was based on high testosterone levels and a sonogram of her ovaries.

A couple of things to keep in mind:

Fasting blood sugar is not a measure of insulin sensitivity.  By the time your fasting blood sugar is out of range, you're in rough shape.

One can be normal weight and still have insulin resistance.  I have PCOS and I am not overweight, but I am insulin resistant.  (Likewise, at least 10% of type 2 diabetics are not overweight.   My dad was a thin type 2 diabetic.)

• Like 3