Menu

New to homeschooling, Curriculum, WHERE TO START

Reading through some of these threads. Good lord am I overwhelmed. I'm likely homeschooling my 2nd grader next year. I have no idea where to start curriculum wise. I've read blog posts (what kind of learner is your child, what is your style etc), searched curriculum online, but overall it's so overwhelming to me.

How do you choose between subjects? Does anyone purchase a complete curriculum package from one source? Can I go to a learning store and purchase books there as "curriculum?" How do you make sure you are adhering to common core (I saw some curriculum do not teach this)?

Help me...

Lots of questions!

The place to start right now, would be, I think, with the grade level threads. You can see other people's plans for the same age and it narrows it down. It is not highly likely that what you use this year you will stick with, just because your ideas become more refined over time. Personally, I start with free and work my way toward paid for - I'd rather not be out a whole lot while I find my groove. You can certainly buy "school in a box" and a lot of companies cater to that. Many of us give up that dream, however, because of children working at asynchronous levels. And yes, we do buy things at a teacher store. It's a good way to get a chance to flip through and see if we like it. Our teacher store, however, has a tendency to carry workbooks or full classroom based guides, and most are not what we want.

About Common Core....well, it's the new black, isn't it? Labels are slapped willy nilly on something to give reassurance. Even Pearson's materials have failed the Common Core check, and they write the books for schools! Our goal is mastery and understanding. There isn't a need to adhere to CC at home, any more than there is a need to adhere to an 11:15 -11:42 lunch period. That's for the convenience of a school. Different kids work on different timetables. The ability to slow down, speed up, or present materials different ways is one of our main benefits, and I'm not willing to give that up for a label.

• Like 3

How do you choose between subjects?

You decide what you think it is important for your child to learn.  My state offers some general guidelines for homeschoolers: "Instruction must include mathematics, reading, English, science, and social studies in all grades..."  This year, my second grader studied: reading, writing, grammar, spelling, math, problem solving, science, history, Spanish, geography, typing, piano and art.  BUT, you certainly don't have to jump into a full schedule right from the beginning.  It is perfectly fine to start with a few core subjects and add slowly as you get more comfortable.

Does anyone purchase a complete curriculum package from one source?

Sure, some people do.  I don't, because my kids are very asynchronous learners.  My second grader is finishing up fifth grade math, but still works on handwriting at a first grade level.  A package curriculum could not possible accommodate his needs.  Also, I personally chose to homeschool in order to give my kids a rigorous, personalized education, and I don't feel a boxed curriculum would accomplish that.

Can I go to a learning store and purchase books there as "curriculum?"

You are the boss; you can purchase learning materials where ever you find them.  Some people school almost entirely using free online materials and library books.  I buy most materials online - I think about what my goals are in a particular subject, and then I research until I find a curricula that I think is both feasible for our family and will aid in reaching those goals.

How do you make sure you are adhering to common core (I saw some curriculum do not teach this)?

I don't.  I don't care about common core.  If I am struck with doubts about whether my kids are learning the "right things", then I just glance at my state's public school scope and sequence which I can find online.  Mostly, I am just glad that homeschooling means I am not tied down to teaching the same materials or using the same methods as the public schools.

So, to answer your question, I research (on this forum, at conventions, Cathy Duffy reviews, online searches, various homeschool blogs, etc) the various subjects.  Like, if I am looking for science, I will go to Cathy Duffy and print out her list of science curriculum.  Then, I will search on this forum for second grade science and I will jot down any curricula that isn't on Cathy's list.  Once I have a list of possibilities, then I start going to publishers' web sites and eliminating the first swath.  Most of them I can quickly cross out because they don't look like materials I would want to use.  Once I am down to a handful of potentials, then I start doing more in depth research.  I look at reviews on blogs, look at you tube videos about the curricula, I search for the name of the curricula on this forum, etc.  Once I make a decision, I try not to second guess myself...at least for a while.

Wendy

Edited by wendyroo
  • Like 2

Thank you SO much for the thoughtful responses. This is incredibly helpful. I guess I was under the impression that my child would have to adhere to common core, especially for the county reviews. This helps a lot.

I bet if you looked around, you would find at least a few philosophy based private schools opinion your area: Montessori, Waldorf, Enki, Classical, Charlotte Mason. You would also probably find faith based schools.

You are a private school. A very exclusive one, but still. 😉 Your responsibility is probably based on progress, not exactly content. We do a yearly standardized test (I buy from Academic Excellence, but there are several places to get one). It's a pain, but an easy way to show progress if we have to. That and our printed out class records from HomeschoolSkedTrack are put in a file together to show I am giving my child a bonafide education, even if it does look unorthodox.

PP have already said very wise things.

I'd like to add that if your child is going into second grade-ish (grade levels don't mean much for HS), keeping it really simple (especially if you feel overwhelmed) could help. What could that look like? For us, it means we do phonics/reading, something mathy, and handwriting everyday.

That would mean you just have 3 things to choose.

Let everything else just be part of life. Paint and draw as wanted (or try Art Tango, which is free). Read a variety of books for science and history/social studies. Spend a morning at the library every week choosing books. Cook and bake together. Most importantly, enjoy learning and growing together.

• Like 2

Start with the child in front of you and your responsibilities under state law.

Generally, you're going to be expected to do English/language arts, math, social studies/history and science at a level that is appropriate for your child. You might choose to add arts, a foreign language, PE, religion or other subjects you and your child prefer. Some states will require specific content, such as state history. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO START ALL SUBJECTS THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO ALL SUBJECTS EVERY DAY. Second grade should not take all day.

Make sure to keep up with any state hoops to jump through, such as registration, maintaining a portfolio, standardized testing, and/or tracking attendance. These vary from no requirements as long as you are really homeschooling (TX), to a few easy but vital items (NC), to a significant list (PA, NY), to whatever you and the school district mutually agree upon (MA).

How long you expect to be homeschooling will influence how closely you want to hew to the schools' curricula and Common Core standards. I'm committed to homeschooling my child through 8th grade, so I'm basically ignoring them. If you're in it for just a year, on the other hand, you can easily get school textbooks secondhand.

I agree with PPs who suggested reading The Well-Trained Mind. Many libraries carry it, or it's here if you want your own copy.

Many of us have in our signatures what materials we've chosen, or you can search for threads with the grade level you have in mind to see what others are doing. The spreadsheet link in my signature has my weekly plans; feel free to peruse. Some people like to just buy all the books and do the next thing each day. I like to plan in more detail and make sure I'm staying on track. This is how I plan a year.

If there are other homeschoolers nearby, they might allow you to borrow some of their materials to look at. Publishers' websites and Amazon are other places to find previews.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 2

It is overwhelming at first isn't it? It does get so much easier once you start digging in. There are many great homeschool blogs and youtube channels. I found them to be really helpful at first to begin wrapping my head around homeschooling as a lifestyle. Be careful not to compare yourself though or try to be everything at once.

Then you have to untrain your brain from the idea that school is a 6 hour day and subjects happen from this time to this time. Remembering how schools got that way in the first place and realizing that your child's education is now in your hand as is the freedom. Learning we good scrap our days plan for an impromptu field trip to do hands on learning was scary and liberating. Some days you might panic and feel you will not be adequate. This can lead to a feeling that you must do it the school way. Rest assured that you child can get a superior education in 2-3 hours a day at that age than what they can get all day at school.

Getting a curriculum package is fine but most of us here do not you will probably find. If you want some guidance timberdoodle sells curriculum packages and goes through the trouble of selecting good stuff. Once you get a handle on what you want to teach then half the fun is selecting curriculum :)

Do you have some home school co-ops in your area? It might be nice to plug into one as they can help with support, friendships and so forth.

Make sure to read through your state requirements for homeschooling and plan around that. All states have different expectations and levels of control. Don't worry too much about common core. CC came about due to a desire to regulate and streamline students' education and provide a criteria about what and how they learn. Partly because public schools weren't doing so hot. Your child will have the blessing of getting a tailored education made just for them. Most homeschool parents far exceed what cc requires.

There are many different educational philosophies and books you can read on them. Start by thinking about what you envision for for your child. What your hopes are for their learning. This can begin to lead you towards what your educational philosophy is.

It has been the best choice I ever made for my 3 still at home. There is an adjustment period but if you can power through it might just be something you will love! :)

• Like 3

It certainly can feel overwhelming, we've all been there. ((Hugs))

As for common core, no worries. I homeschooled my children through elementary school. They both went to public school beginning junior high years, and I was concerned because I had not followed the public school scope & sequence at all.  To my pleasant surprise, they not only met the standards, but surpassed their peers without issue. My daughter is now in high school in honors classes. My son will be in eighth grade, but he has asked to return to homeschooling permanently.  

Like you, I felt a little overwhelmed. We are coming up on high school quickly & this is all new territory for me.  Before choosing any curriculum, the place I started was with looking at the big picture. Why are we homeschooling?  For us, my son has lost his zest for learning and is not happy at school (not to mention, he is learning bad habits).  

So before I even looked at curriculum, I knew that we needed something he would enjoy learning with.  My son is an avid reader, it's his absolute favorite pass-time. Therefore, I knew a curriculum heavy on reading was important. However, he doesn't love textbooks, so I wanted something that would require great literature (or "living books" that bring the subject to life). My son struggles in math, it's his worst subject. Likewise, it is the subject we argued about most during homework time. Therefore, I knew I wanted a lot of hand holding in this area & our curriculum choice reflects that. 

I agree with the previous posters that said focus on the 3 R's. I would take a little extra time & look over the various styles of homeschooling though (Sonya Shafer from Simply Charlotte Mason has a great video on youtube called the "Five Flavors of Homeschooling". In fact, all of her videos are amazing).  I've found, every curriculum is influenced by a style & knowing the different methods will help you understand what you are actually buying.  The worst curriculum choice is the one that doesn't get used or ensues panic or tears. 

This next year, my sole focus is to foster a love for learning and to develop good character in my son. With that in mind, it will continuously guide how we learn and what curriculum we use. 

No worries. It will all work out. Have fun together & enjoy this next school year with your son! :)

Instead of buying a 'curriculum' for each subject, I used Hirsh's Core Knowledge series to choose topics to learn each year (there are other guides, but I had read one of his books and liked it). Then I can modify how we learn a particular subject to fit my child. I bought math and handwriting, and would get workbooks for reading, vocab, or other subjects at teacher supply stores as needed. For history and science, I looked at the suggested topics and chose what we wanted to do - puzzle maps, fiction or non-fiction books, etc. I had liked the idea of 'living books' but my older student found that he didn't like reading books for 'history' when everything in them wasn't true. One of my kids likes a hands-on approach, building models or planting seeds, while the other sees no reason to do something that has already been done when you can just look at a picture, read, or watch a video. By not being committed to a set program, both kids can learn about ancient China but do it in a way that they enjoy.

But, no matter what you choose, there will always be things that you aren't learning or doing - there's just too much that you could be doing to fit it into one lifetime, much less one school year. You can always change what you are doing if it doesn't work!

• Like 1

Here's how I have done it in the past:

#1. Find out your state requirements. If you're not sure how to, tell us what state you're in and someone can probably link you to information.

In Pennsylvania it gives a list of subjects to teach between the grades of 1-6, and then different ones for 7-12th. It's important to note that you don't have to teach them all every year. For example, it mentions teaching health. You don't have to teach health every year. You can teach it just once between 1st and 6th if you want. OR, you can count the daily stuff you do as "health" as long as you're clever about recording it. The only thing in PA that *has* to be taught every single year is fire safety.

So, read the law carefully to understand how much or how little you need to do. If you aren't sure, start a thread asking us or ask people you know who school IRL. Ask a few, though, to be sure you're not asking someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. :)

#2. Figure out what subjects you want to teach in addition to the state requirements, if you want to teach more. If you're not sure what subjects you might want to teach start a thread titled, "What subjects do you teach in second grade?" and you'll get all sorts of ideas.

#3. Try searching here for threads about each subject. They usually have titles like "Second grade math," and "second grade grammar." The search function on this website is horrible. I go to google and type "second grade math welltrainedmind" and sometimes get hits. Sometimes I will search for things I know are there (because I started them!) and can't find them no matter how much I google and search.

The point of searching threads is to get a nice long list of curriculum providers. For example in math you might run into these curriculum providers: math-u-see, rightstart, mammoth math, singapore, art of problem solving, CLE. There are many more. Those are what I thought of off the top of my head. Saxon, Abeka, BJU...so many!

#4. If searching is a bust (likely), then start your own thread with a title like, "What are you using for second grade math?" And people will tell you what they're using. You should ask in the post, "Why do you like it?" This is to narrow down if you think it'll work for your child. It's no good for someone to say, "I use X" and you buy it, only to find out it's a horrible fit for your child. You must know why someone likes a curriculum for it to mean anything. It's like a movie review. Someone may say, "John Wick was the best movie ever!" But if you don't like movies where hundreds of people are shot to death, then it's not the best movie ever for you. You need to know *why" John Wick was the best movie ever before you head out to see it. Same thing here. Ask people why the curriculum works for their kids. Your kids and their kids aren't the same people and what works for them, might not work for you.

#5. Problem: You haven't homeschooled yet, so you probably won't know what works for your child. Sometimes you just can't get it right until you buy something and it's a big fat mess and you think, "Huh. Guess my kid doesn't do well with X style of teaching." Or you buy something and it's a gem and then you know what sort of curriculum to keep buying in the future.

#6. Once you have a big list of curriculum providers for each subject, start researching them. Go to their websites and look at samples, find out if anyone local uses it so you can look it over in person.

#7. Take a stab at buying something. Buy the least amount you need. I can 90% guarantee you that something you buy will be a horrible fit and you'll have to ditch it. The way you know it's a horrible fit? You can't bear to do the subject for yourself--you dread it, or your child cries during that subject. Then you're back to step #6, and maybe step #4 or #5.

#8. You might realize that none of the curriculum out there is any good for you/your child. I felt that way a lot about science in the early years. We never had a good match before 5th grade. In which case, you may just create a list of topics (volcanoes, atoms, planets, plants, anatomy, elements, etc) and get a bunch of books from the library about those topics and read them on the couch together and sometimes do any labs that are in the books. In the past, I'd ask my kids to draw pictures of something they learned in the book, then we'd give the picture a little caption and keep all the pictures in a binder. Second grade science can be about planting something in the yard, looking for Orion in the sky, and stuff like that.

#9. You may say, "All of that sounds terrible! I don't want to figure it out bit by bit! I'm overwhelmed!" So then you look for/start a thread asking "What all-in-one programs are out there for 2nd grade?" And then you move to step #6 and research the all-in-one programs.

#10. I personally would not go to a teacher store. I've looked through those when the kids were younger. They are designed for classroom use and it's very hit or miss for what will work with homeschooling. The homeschooling stuff is found online or if there's is a curriculum fair or convention near you. Fairs/conventions are usually in the early spring, so it might be too late.

The teacher store stuff (at least around here) isn't usually a solid, complete curriculum. There are workbooks, but no teacher guides or extras for how to teach the subject. I spent a couple of years wandering around teacher stores and using random workbooks thinking I was doing the right thing, and then when I bought a real curriclum--wow! What a difference! A real curriculum designed for homeschoolers is a completely different animal from a teacher store workbook.

#11. Common core. Meh. I have a friend who feels strongly that if she had to stop homeschooling, she'd want her kids to be able to slide right back into school at the exact same level as the other kids. So, she is careful to pay attention to Common Core. That works for her.

I don't care about that. I teach what I want to teach, as long as I'm following the state guidelines for homeschoolers And if you use decent curriculums, they'll be covering what is necessary, whether it exactly matches common core of not. If you want to follow common core, google it. You can easily find the topics covered each year. See if your books cover what common core would cover (if you want to--completely optional) and you're good to go. Some homeschool curriculae knows that they cover common core topics and they'll list it on their materials and some don't bother to care if they cover common core stuff and won't list it. Common core is a way to keep kids across America pretty much on the same page so there aren't gaps in educational knowledge. It's a requirement for public schools only; not for private or homeschools. For us it's optional and many homeschoolers completely ignore it.

#12. Do not overbuy. No! You'll be tempted to buy a bunch of stuff, but don't do it! Buy the bare minimum of what you need. Because you will buy something that doesn't work and you'll want some money set aside to buy a new (grammar or math or reading) curriculum in October when you realize the X program that you bought is a mess. Or you'll realize that buying all those bells and whistles was a waste because your child only touched them once and never again. It takes time, but eventually you'll be able to tell what's necessarily and useful and what's just fluff. Until then, keep your money close to you. You can always buy something later, but it's a sad feeling to have to get rid of something at a fraction of the cost (or just have to give it away for free) because it was fluff put out by a company trying to get your money.

#13. Don't latch on to the first or second thing you hear about. Take steps #3, 4, and 6 very seriously. I heard about Konos when I was going to homeschool and I thought everyone HAD to use Konos. I honestly didn't know there was anything else out there. And I was dismayed, because I'm not the kind of person Konos would work for. Know that there are literally dozens of choices available for each subject. Don't think you *have* to use the first couple you hear of. Get a list of 10 or so choices for each subject, or 10 or so choices for an all-inclusive curric. As you look at samples of those 10 different choices, you'll get a better feel for what you think you'll be able to handle as a teacher and what your child will like. I cannot handle lots of arts and crafty projects! But for other people, that's what makes homeschooling a joy. The curriculum has to appeal to both teacher and student. The first or second thing you hear about might not be a good fit. If you look long enough, you'll find something that's a good fit.

Good luck! I just finished my 10th year of homeschooling and I still love it. :).

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Reading through some of these threads. Good lord am I overwhelmed. I'm likely homeschooling my 2nd grader next year. I have no idea where to start curriculum wise. I've read blog posts (what kind of learner is your child, what is your style etc), searched curriculum online, but overall it's so overwhelming to me.

How do you choose between subjects? Does anyone purchase a complete curriculum package from one source? Can I go to a learning store and purchase books there as "curriculum?" How do you make sure you are adhering to common core (I saw some curriculum do not teach this)?

Help me...

You do need to know the laws in your state (if any). Sadly, sometimes the requirements drive what we do.

Although I believe there is such a thing as learning styles, I don't believe you have to know that before you do anything.

I was never able to buy everything I wanted from a single source. Many people do, but I just couldn't make it work.

You might be able to go to a teacher supply store and buy stuff. In most cases, what's in there is more supplemental than core instruction, but depending on the laws in your state (which translates into how much interaction and accountability you will have with school type authorities), for a little person who is just seven-ish, all you really need academically is to make sure your child's reading and writing skills are at an age-appropriate level (if not, you'll need more than what you'll find at a teacher supply store), and that you work with arithmetic skills. Everything else--history, geography, science, etc.--will usually happen pretty naturally with field trips, library books, videos, etc.

It can be overwhelming!  There is so much out there! 

I tell all newbies its good to read, ponder, and then pray about the direction you want to go.  Every family is different and the dynamics, goals, etc. are different.  I would think on what is most important to you and your kids and then figure out first which type of homeschooling will work best for you.  I stumbled on a great you tube video about the different kinds of homeschooling and it's a sort of test to see where you lie.  I highly recommend it!  Then once you decide what is best read up on the style and dig in.  You will learn as you go! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrpgDC0Rosc

Good luck to you!

It can be very overwhelming when you are getting started. I found all of the abbreviations really hard to follow myself when I was first starting. http://cathyduffyreviews.com Is a great place to get started. She breaks up a lot of curriculum choices by subjects so you can get a better idea what is available. http://www.rainbowresource.com Is perhaps the best website to browse and buy curriculum, they have reviews and their prices are often cheaper than the manufacturer. Don't feel like you have to do everything at once. Start small with the basics, like language arts, math, science and history in whatever combination suits you and your child. Or just start with math and language arts before you add in anything else. You have plenty of time to add more in as you feel more comfortable and have a better idea of what works for you both. There are a lot of all in one curriculums out there but of course the problem becomes that you can't tailor it to your student's needs or interests. It might be easier to start with your own choices and add in then getting stuck with something that won't suit. Once you've looked at the options for a subject you can then narrow down your favorites and google for reviews on them. If you add WTM Forum to your google search you can easily bring up threads about it here to help you sort it out. You might be surprised how quickly it starts to make sense to you. Will your child be a 2nd or 3rd grader next year? My son will be in 2nd so I know there is a current thread on what other people are planning that might help you get some ideas. Just google the abbreviations and you will find out what they mean and before you know it you will be able to follow what people are talking about. Good luck!

Congratulations! I started homeschooling a 2nd grader when we first started! For that year I purchased a full Sonlight grade package. I just had no idea where to start, plus Sonlight does such a wonderful job putting together a program that kids love. My 2nd grader really enjoyed it. I honestly thought we would stick with Sonlight, but as the year went on and I figured out what our weak points are (my son's and my own), and what our styles for learning (and teaching) are, and also as I planned to add two more of my children to our homeschool (my second grader was a very gracious guinea pig!), I started to research other curriculums, and finding my groove as to what is going to work for our family. All these curriculum companies stay in business for a reason... because different things work for different homeschools! :) Anyway, an "all in one" homeschool package is one awesome way to jump in. Sonlight is great if you would like a Christian curriculum that is easy to use. Bookshark is a secular version of Sonlight. Another wonderful tool is the book, "The Well Trained Mind". It walks you through a developmental approach to homeschooling, as well as ways to implement a homeschool curriculum that is very high quality. I am using this book as a planning guide for my homeschool next year. Another route is to get Cathy Duffy's book full of reviews of quality companies, and use that as a starting point. And then, just allow the first couple of years to include some curriculum changes as you settle in. We are wrapping up our second year of homeschooling, and I feel like I am finally beginning to "think like a homeschooler", and it is so fun to read through curricula and find things that resonate with me. I could only have found those things by jumping in and giving it a go! I hope you really enjoy yourselves next year. It is a lot of hard work, but it is so rewarding!

Try not to spend a lot of money at first. I was so sure that I had chosen the "right" curriculum before we got started. Long story short, I ended up supplementing about 2/3 of it within the first month, and completely ditching the entire thing within 3 months. It was all wrong, and I could have figured that out using free samples and cheapy workbooks if I had known better. We don't use it, but I know that Math Mammoth provides a lot of free samples. More than enough to get a feel for their program/style. You can get free Life of Fred (math) samples. Progressive phonics is completely free. I used samples of explode the code before I bought it. This was all after I realized that my first curriculum wasn't going to work, mind you. Always check your local library before buying a book that you are going to read once or twice. I have been surprised by what our library has available. Good luck!

Thank you so much for all the responses!

I am in maryland and I have read the law re county oversight. I do need to look into subject requirements. I haven't seen that...

How do I find local support groups? I would like to meet other homeschool families! Thanks!

I am in maryland and I have read the law re county oversight. I do need to look into subject requirements. I haven't seen that...

How do I find local support groups? I would like to meet other homeschool families! Thanks!

I've had good results by searching on Google and FB for [location] homeschool group or [location] homeschoolers.

• Like 1

You should always google with keywords first.  Homeschool groups Maryland.

I have a new homeschooler packet that covers a synopsis of the roughly 8 different approaches to homeschooling (educational philosophies) and lists popular curricula that align with each, an exercise that helps you articulate some of your own goals by having you evaluate your own education, an overview of the different subcultures and their motivations for homeschooling, and a simple description of major schools of thought on reading, writing, and math in the early years. 

I send it to people by email and private message here and in real life.  Private message me if you'd like one.  Don't feel pressure.  I'm not at all offended if you don't. 

With a 2nd grader I would first make decisions about phonics, math and narration based writing. Then I'd spend time figuring out history and science.