Menu

Would it be a bad idea to apply for these jobs?

Janeway

I am worried about taking any sort of long term job (because I need to quit when my husband returns to work, but I think I could manage to continue to work a very short term after he returns to work). But with summer coming, there are lots of seasonal jobs out there. However, it seems clear that they expect to hire teens or maybe college students. They ask for minimum age of 16 yrs old, things like that. I am an overweight middle aged woman. 

• Like 1

It may depend on the job. I once applied to Kroger grocery store as a cashier and the manager straight up told me he saves those positions for teens because they are so easy. He offered me a position in a specialty department, either produce or deli. I turned down the job.

I would think that a responsible person would be a delight to a seasonal employer! I think you could be picky and choose something you think would be fun. You have been under a lot of stress and many seasonal jobs in the hospitality industry are quite fun!

It may depend on the job. I once applied to Kroger grocery store as a cashier and the manager straight up told me he saves those positions for teens because they are so easy. He offered me a position in a specialty department, either produce or deli. I turned down the job.

That may be true for that particular manager, but that doesn't make it standard practice. There are various reasons someone may choose not to accept a position if offered, but you don't know if something will be a good fit if you don't even apply.

What's the worst that could happen from applying?  They say no?  No big deal. They say yes, and you learn it isn't for you, and you quit?  No big deal either. Go apply.

• Like 6

Why not?

I would make your expectations clear on the times you are available as well as what you might be expecting with regards to wages.  I just had an interview this morning for a position that I was exploring for something to do.  I was very up front and clear on the days and times when I was available, and at the interview I was pretty much told that my expectations were a little out of whack and that I should realistically expect to work at other times and days and would this be a problem? 

I've never gone into an interview and not been offered a job, so I made up my mind ahead of time that if they could not accommodate my schedule, I wasn't interested in accommodating theirs.  I took that as a sign that it was not meant to be.

That might be the only real trouble you'll run into, is that these places looking for teenagers are also looking for them to fill in the hours that are set aside for them (re:evenings, weekends, holidays and closing shifts).

• Like 1