Menu

Forest green prom dress/black tux....how to make it not look like Xmas?

Tap

DD has decided (I think LOL) on a prom dress! (Her coloring and body style is just like the model)  It looks great on her and is the dress her boyfriend loved when they were shopping.  Win! Win!  The color of the dress is prettier in person and is a very nice satin fabric with a  full lining.   It is very rich/luxurious looking IRL. 

They want to do green (obviously), gold, white/cream, black.

How do you do this without looking like a Christmas formal instead of prom?

Edited by Tap

No red flowers. The boy should wear a black tie and not get a forest green cummerbund and tie. I see a lot of teen boys in tuxes with ties and cummerbunds that match the the dress. Don't do that OR red and I think you are good.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 5

I think anything you do that doesn't involve Holly leaves or candy cane striped ribbon will be fine. At last week's Promenade, I saw a lot of red gowns and a few green, none looked Christmassy, especially surrounded by friends in pastels, florals, etc.

Think of the reverse: a pastel blue gown can look like a winter formal if it's accessorized for a Christmas dance, KWIM?

• Like 2

She is looking to add a touch of fun and considering these shoes if the green is right. ....http://m.zappos.com/p/blue-by-betsey-johnson-anina-floral/product/8860335/color/17165

She will likely pick a corsage color to match the soft rose color. I think those two things will really help.

She doesn't like to do the expected, so she is looking at alternatives to the classic, high-heeled sparkley prom shoes. Lol

• Like 3

She is looking to add a touch of fun and considering these shoes if the green is right. ....http://m.zappos.com/p/blue-by-betsey-johnson-anina-floral/product/8860335/color/17165

She will likely pick a corsage color to match the soft rose color. I think those two things will really help.

She doesn't like to do the expected, so she is looking at alternatives to the classic, high-heeled sparkley prom shoes. Lol

LOVE the shoes! The green doesn't need even have to match-match perfectly, I hope she likes them!

I love fun stuff at Prom, like crazy socks on guys, sparkly Converse on girls... I'm all about kids enjoying stuff like that! So nice to see their personalities shine.

The dresses SweetChild and her BFF wore unintentionally made them look like Princesses Jasmine and Aurora.

• Like 1

DD has decided (I think LOL) on a prom dress! (Her coloring and body style is just like the model) It looks great on her and is the dress her boyfriend loved when they were shopping. Win! Win! The color of the dress is prettier in person and is a very nice satin fabric with a full lining. It is very rich/luxurious looking IRL.

If her boyfriend wears a standard black tuxedo and sticks with black accessories for it, and he wears a white shirt, I can't imagine anyone thinking of Christmas.

The dress is beautiful and the shoes are fun, but as you mentioned, you can't really tell whether or not color of the shoes will work with the dress until you see them next to the dress.

• Like 1

DD has decided (I think LOL) on a prom dress! (Her coloring and body style is just like the model)  It looks great on her and is the dress her boyfriend loved when they were shopping.  Win! Win!  The color of the dress is prettier in person and is a very nice satin fabric with a  full lining.   It is very rich/luxurious looking IRL. 

Leave out the gold and you should be fine.  White makes jewel tone colours pop, in an elegant way.  I would steer away from adding any other colour to the mix -- no pinks, reds, blues, other greens.  Keep it clean and classy with just the green, white and black.

• Like 1