Menu

Share your recent dinner-time successes

bookbard

I thought we could share some ideas that have working for mixing up boring dinner-times.

I made lamb kofte (minced lamb, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, rolled in balls and fried in the frypan), on a bed of baby spinach with fried haloumi and tzatiki sauce. Everyone liked it and it wasn't too difficult.

Share something interesting that's worked for you?

• Like 4

I made Korean BBQ Sweet Lentils last night.  

http://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/2016/04/20/sweet-korean-lentils/

Always a hit.  Although the family prefers when I add ground beef to the dish.  The dish is pretty forgiving to my adaptations.  I usually double up the spices.  We like spicy.  Add some Shiracha.  Sometimes I sub honey for the brown sugar.  I have even added in a diced jalapeno.

Anything I make in the instant pot!

Two nights ago, it was "Crack Chicken."

Chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ranch seasoning and a bit of water.

Top with bacon.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Edited by CJVW

Tonight will be easy.  I'm doing cheesesteaks.  We love them, but they take so little effort.  My grocery store carries shaved beef and chicken.  I just have to fry up some peppers and onions and pick up cheese because we're divided about which cheese is the best.  If my sides are easy, it's a 15 minute meal.

• Like 3

I don't usually buy preseasoned meat, but we had a seasoned tri-tip from Costco last night and it was really good! I needed a quick, low effort dinner. I cooked it in the oven. We paired it with a box of long-grain rice from TJ, baked beans from Tj, and green beans.  It wasn't an Amazing dinner, but it was simple and didn't require me to be in the kitchen the whole time.

Tonight will be easy.  I'm doing cheesesteaks.  We love them, but they take so little effort.  My grocery store carries shaved beef and chicken.  I just have to fry up some peppers and onions and pick up cheese because we're divided about which cheese is the best.  If my sides are easy, it's a 15 minute meal.

Well, if your from Philly, of course it's cheese whiz.  

Recently we've been in the (terrible) habit of grabbing quickie things to eat while running around.  Between work schedules, DH's grad school schedule, and kid activities, we're on the go more than not.  Eating out is expensive!  And we're getting chubby!  

Last Sunday I consulted Pinterest and my fridge and came up with some ideas for meal prep...all those pretty, healthy meals, lined up in containers.  It took me 2 hours to put a casserole (for the picky eaters) and a dozen meals in the fridge (all of which include a ton of veggies, which we weren't really eating, unless french fries count?)  I felt like Superwoman.  The only dining out we've done this week was to buy lunch today during a preschool field trip (too cold to picnic.)   It's a win.  I think we need to continue this trend until life slows down.

• Like 2

I have made all of these multiple times recently

Sheet pan maple mustard salmon. This also works cooked in foil on a campfire, lol.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sheet-pan-mustard-maple-salmon-240606

Sheet pan chicken

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sheet-pan-chicken-red-potatoes-and-sage-235985

Ina Garten Perfect Roast Chicken (I substitute shallots for the onion)

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-sheet-pan-chicken-red-potatoes-and-sage-235985

Chef John's pan roasted chicken breasts. There is also a video somewhere

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/245367/pan-roasted-chicken-breasts/

ETA

I do use an organic-type chicken, juicy, forgiving, easier to cook than the super cheap stuff.

Edited by Alessandra

Last night I threw together things from the freezer to do a Greek-inspired dish--riced cauliflower, chopped spinach, cooked turkey, pine nuts, then added in Greek seasoning (Penzey's), dried shallots, roasted garlic powder, some lemon juice, and some olive oil. I baked it at 350 for about 40 minutes and it turned out nicely. We also had some leftover pickled vegetables from a local Mediterranean restaurant and some pine nut hummus.

Some feta would have been good in it as well, but my husband doesn't care for it.