Menu

Super easy, just found out we're having company Easter meal?

Spryte

We didn't plan on company. I don't have anything planned beyond our usual too-casual fare for lunch, and I don't have much time today to prep. I'm not above buying something pre-made.

We have Costco, Wegman's, and I think there's a honey baked ham place around here, but I'd imagine we'd need to have placed an order by now.

What can I make or buy that takes very little time?

Help!

My friend told me she gets a pre-cooked ham, throws it in the slow cooker, just to heat it up, throws some pineapple rings on it and the juice from the can into the cooker, and bam.  Good meat.

I'd add some green beans or broccoli with butter on them, tater tots (in the oven) and a store-bought pie and call it good.  

Easy enough?

Call your Costco/wegmans/honey baked. Get a presliced pre baked ham. It's probably not too late

If Costco or wegmans has one to order, get all your sides there to save time/trips.

Something green: prepared salad, green bean casserole, or just green beans.

Some form of potatoes, mashed, or a frozen pan of scalloped or au gratin, or a giant frozen Stouffers Mac n cheese

Dinner rolls or something that you can make leftovers into sandwiches

Maybe a raw veggie tray or some cheese and olives?

Costco or wegmans should have gorgeous cakes and pies. Pick your favorite.

Enjoy your guests!

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 3

I really like the Black Forest Ham that's sliced and sold as lunch meat at Costco. It's in the fancier meats and cheeses area here. It's real ham, not ham stuff formed into a solid shape then sliced, and it's sliced thickly. Get a pack of their croissants, some fruit salad, maybe make potato something or another... Costco pound cakes and berries...

• Like 3

Go to Costco, see what they have that is a Big Hunk Of Meat.  

Then build your sides around that, making it as easy as possible--bagged green salad, bagged broccoli salad, fruit salad.  Whatever non-fries frozen potatoes they have, or a big bag of bakers to twice bake in the same oven as the BHOM.  Easy peasy, and festive.

Whereas I think that sandwiches or lasagne are not festive.  Tortellini alfredo is medium--I might have that as a side dish so that those who don't like the BHOM have something substantial to eat.

• Like 2

My menu

ham from costco

mini muffins from costco

fruit salad from costco fruit

boiled potatoes with dip from costco

hard cider from costco

regular cider from costco

cookies from costco

It's a "hey it's good enough" Easter meal.

• Like 3

I had googled "best tasting hams" a few weeks ago and the spiral ham Target carries was rated high. I'll try to find it.

Wegman's spiral hams are good, too.

If you want simple and homemade, I'd get a heat and eat ham.

Bake sweet potatoes.

Broil asparagus with Wegmans basting oil.

Spinach salad with mushrooms, red onions and hardboiled eggs. With a sweet/sour type dressing.

Sliced/macerated strawberries with ice cream.

If you want to buy stuff...I love Boston Market's side dishes, if you have one nearby. I'd get some side dishes from Boston and a ham from Wegman's.

Edited to add:

I found the article but it was from 4 years ago...anyway, it is Archer Farms Spiral Honey Ham.

Not sure if they even still have it.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/food-products/g702/best-ham/?slide=1

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 1

You've received a lot of good suggestions.  Just one thing:  if a spiral ham is not available, or too expensive, just buy a cheap ham from the grocery store.  Ours has them for 77 cents a pound now.   Get the ingredients to follow the recipe for "Monte's ham" from the New York Times. Or, do your own glaze,  or skip the glaze altogether.  (Note the size of the ham; I always use a half ham, and use much less glaze.)  It's cheap, and in my experience, just as good as a more expensive ham.  

Costco used to  have some great au gratin potatoes in the refrigerator section.  I haven't bought them in a couple of years so am not sure if they are still around.  I'd do that or another easy potato recipe, and some asparagus.  

I'm having a lunch for a bunch of people between our regular church service and one at a nursing home.  That ham, potato salad made the day before, and asparagus (still deciding between a couple of recipes, but it will be at room temp) are the basics of my menu.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

costco has ham in stock - they're good. but small.

but my idea of a ham has a bone and weighs at least 20 lbs and is country cured.  you can't buy it in a grocery store. .. . (my grandparents siblings were farmers and raised their own hogs.  they'd bring back a ham every year.)

we're also doing funeral potatoes (don't let the name throw you) - which makes a lot and is actually pretty fast.   I really like using croutons  for the topping.

dd wants ambrosia salad - its' super quick.

and rolls (costco has bag of 3 dozen for like $5.  or they did the last time I priced them.  we make our own)

then some veggies.

and I wanted chocolate cheesecake for dessert . . .

• Like 1

I don't like ham, but I'd use it for this.

Recipe:  Get one of those canned hams.  Cut little slits in the top diagonally in two directions, forming a pattern of diamond shapes on the top.  Put a clove in each intersection.  Mix orange juice and light brown sugar roughly 1:1 until sugar is thoroughly dissolved.  Put the ham on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and pour the OJ mixture all over the top.  Bake at the temp and for the time on the can.  This is not fancy but it's awfully easy and so you can focus your efforts onto the side dishes.  Serve with mustard.  Bonus points if you have several mustards to serve with it.  Personally I'd accompany this with rice pilaf, which does not need gravy to taste great, and 1-2 cold salads--probably bagged broc salad, bagged mixed green salad, and fruit salad with Cointreau on it (because I always have that around.  Use whatever you keep around, it will work fine.  I hear rum is good.) 

I'd make angel pie for dessert, but if I didn't have time, I'd buy a Costco cake, which are reliably good, or call up the local bakery and see if they had something good in stock.

• Like 1

What did you end up cooking, Spryte?

It was so easy! You guys were great. :).

I ended up doing a spiral ham, Caesar salad, mac and cheese, fruit salad with vanilla yogurt sauce on the side, and rolls. We had a tres leches cream cake for dessert, and a chocolate concoction for the chocolate lovers. Plus iced cookies for the kids. Iced tea and lemonade, wine and beer.

Cheese, olives and sopressata at various points.

Oh! And espresso. Of course. :D

We did a combo of picking things up (desserts) and throwing things together. It worked!

We hid 300 eggs in the yard, too.

It was fun!

• Like 2

It was so easy! You guys were great. :).

I ended up doing a spiral ham, Caesar salad, mac and cheese, fruit salad with vanilla yogurt sauce on the side, and rolls. We had a tres leches cream cake for dessert, and a chocolate concoction for the chocolate lovers. Plus iced cookies for the kids. Iced tea and lemonade, wine and beer.

Cheese, olives and sopressata at various points.

Oh! And espresso. Of course. :D

We did a combo of picking things up (desserts) and throwing things together. It worked!

We hid 300 eggs in the yard, too.

It was fun!

Oh, wow! That sounds so awesome.

Great job and thanks for the update!

• Like 2