Menu

Update in post 1. Weight watchers

Scarlett

For many, many obese people, especially impressionable young people, the number one way to get them to stuff their feelings with food even more is to let them know that you don't think they're OK.

I know you're saying that being 100 pounds overweight is what's not OK, you probably don't mean that to be personal, but we all have a really hard time separating criticism of our attributes from criticism of ourselves, if that makes sense. "I'm not OK" and "I would be OK if I weren't fat" - these should not be the tape recordings of your voice (or attitude) in his head.

That is why the fitness type approach, in a motivational gym with people who know how to stay positive and help move toward goals, can work better.

It sounds like Scarlett is handling this well, though. Her dss is comfortable talking about these things with her, and it sounds like he is onboard with trying to lose weight and is also willing to see the doctor about it. It also seems like Scarlett is approaching this in a kind way -- as being concerned about his health -- and that she's not telling him that he looks fat and unattractive.

I absolutely agree that exercise will be a big component of his weight loss program, but I also believe he needs to learn more about appropriate portion sizes and how to choose better food options, because those are things he will need to know if he wants to maintain a healthy weight throughout his lifetime. Also, exercise alone isn't going to be enough to help him lose 50-100 pounds if he continues to overeat and/or eat the wrong kinds of foods.

• Like 3

Catwoman, those gym programs that people are mentioning aren't just about fitness; the contemporary programs frequently have meal plans and weight loss goals. A WTM boardie who is a good friend just lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks, surrounded by people from all walks of life (including lots of teens).

It's about atmosphere and positive motivation. Of course, Weight Watchers can do that, if the person is committed. I (and others) are just saying that the positive messages and group accountability in a different setting might be more attractive, and more effective, for a teen.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
  • Like 1

I think you mean well but I am going to say don't.  I am close to someone who parents loved him and wanted to help.  They enrolled this person in many diet programs when he was a teen over the years and the only thing this person learned was yo-yo dieting.  It has taken many years for this person to see what was the actual problem.  He also got really good and creative on hiding food thanks to these programs. This person feels if his parents would have gone a different way, they would have learned so much.  One thing that he mentions, is that he wished his family could have found an activity that he like and all did together. Instead, they just enrolled him in a program that just mainly focused on dieting and never learning what was making him eat. With your DH's health issues, swimming would be an excellent way to try something with his DS.  It is low impact and would also help him with his recovery when he has his surgeries.  

• Like 2

I think you mean well but I am going to say don't. I am close to someone who parents loved him and wanted to help. They enrolled this person in many diet programs when he was a teen over the years and the only thing this person learned was yo-yo dieting. It has taken many years for this person to see what was the actual problem. He also got really good and creative on hiding food thanks to these programs. This person feels if his parents would have gone a different way, they would have learned so much. One thing that he mentions, is that he wished his family could have found an activity that he like and all did together. Instead, they just enrolled him in a program that just mainly focused on dieting and never learning what was making him eat. With your DH's health issues, swimming would be an excellent way to try something with his DS. It is low impact and would also help him with his recovery when he has his surgeries.

We have a pool so he can swim.

I don't understand your first sentence. Don't what?

For many, many obese people, especially impressionable young people, the number one way to get them to stuff their feelings with food even more is to let them know that you don't think they're OK.

I know you're saying that being 100 pounds overweight is what's not OK, you probably don't mean that to be personal, but we all have a really hard time separating criticism of our attributes from criticism of ourselves, if that makes sense. "I'm not OK" and "I would be OK if I weren't fat" - these should not be the tape recordings of your voice (or attitude) in his head.

That is why the fitness type approach, in a motivational gym with people who know how to stay positive and help move toward goals, can work better.

Well, there is no gym for him to go to and so I guess he is stuck with his family being positive with him and for him and encourage him.. As the other poster said sometimes people need help. We are doing the best we can and part of what we belive is the best we can do is to not ignore this situation.

• Like 1

Don't sign him up for WW.  

Or maybe sign him up if *he* wants too, and then mostly stay out of it. Don't be disappointed, or at least show it to him, if he doesn't stick it out. Weight is a sensitive issue, and if you're going to get involved, it's going to be a "balancing act" and "tight rope" for you to figure out how to walk. 

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

Or maybe sign him up if *he* wants too, and then mostly stay out of it. Don't be disappointed, or at least show it to him, if he doesn't stick it out. Weight is a sensitive issue, and it's going to be a "balancing act" and "tight rope" for you to figure out how to walk. 

Based on the first post- he is not really excited for it. And based on previous threads on his weight and feelings, it is a bad idea.  

Back to the OP- Along with the fitness plan, I would add in a really good therapist for dealing with everything that has gone on recently.  It would a great way for to set up a healthy lifestyle along with a good mental health lifestyle.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

The best thing for me has been my Fitbit!  It allows me to input my goal weight, and log my food and exercise and tells me how many calories I need in a day.  I think for a teenager, a visual motivator like that would probably be better than just a meal plan.  He can still eat what he wants, he just has to log it and will be alerted if his intake goes over his calorie limits.  Also, make sure he is eating enough good fats.  DH and I have both noticed our weight loss stalls if we aren't eating enough fat. 

• Like 1

The best thing for me has been my Fitbit!  It allows me to input my goal weight, and log my food and exercise and tells me how many calories I need in a day.  I think for a teenager, a visual motivator like that would probably be better than just a meal plan.  He can still eat what he wants, he just has to log it and will be alerted if his intake goes over his calorie limits.  Also, make sure he is eating enough good fats.  DH and I have both noticed our weight loss stalls if we aren't eating enough fat. 

And you can do fitbit challenges with friends.  Those are so much fun and really encouraging.

• Like 1

Based on the first post- he is not really excited for it. And based on previous threads on his weight and feelings, it is a bad idea.  

Back to the OP- Along with the fitness plan, I would add in a really good therapist for dealing with everything that has gone on recently.  It would a great way for to set up a healthy lifestyle along with a good mental health lifestyle.

Just reread the OP, and unless I missed something later, you're right.

Scarlett, you mentioned he wasn't really against it or excite about it either and you don't want him to feel like you're forcing him. Just make sure you're not and just invite him and maybe give him some info. about and answer any questions or maybe a follow up and no pressure "have you decided?".  WW may not be his thing. Maybe something else would be though. 

I would find a fitness plan over WW. It will help so much better in the long run and trust me I have seen the damage first hand that way does to a teenage boy into adulthood in the long run.

Why couldn't he couldn't do both? He could use WW to learn healthier eating habits, and exercise to build muscle and burn some fat.

I think it depends on whether or not he would do well in a structured plan.

Or maybe sign him up if *he* wants too, and then mostly stay out of it. Don't be disappointed, or at least show it to him, if he doesn't stick it out. Weight is a sensitive issue, and if you're going to get involved, it's going to be a "balancing act" and "tight rope" for you to figure out how to walk. 

That is pretty much the definition of motherhood.  Even step motherhood.

• Like 4

Ok, thanks everyone for the thoughts and opinions.  He came home from his moms and dh said, 'ds we are signing you up for WW.'  Dss smiled and said ok.  And then we measured him (6'1 not 6'2) and he went to weigh.  297.  Then I had him sit with me while we set up his account.  

I bought him an alarm clock and he plans to get up in the morning and ride his bike for a bit.  And then he is going to do a bit of school and go in to the city with me to run errands for my boss and we will go to a good grocery store and  buy fruits and vegetables.  For breakfast I already have planned to make those egg muffin cups.  They are only 1 point each!  He could have 3 with a glass of skim milk and that would be a good breakfast I think.  He needs some fruit with it but we are out of fruit pretty much.  Might have some apples.

I think he is excited.  I am doing WW too and I really really want to help him and myself be successful.   He had eaten at his mom's but dh brought home pizza.  15 points per slice.  I told ds that (he had already said he wasn't eating)  So dh asked what that mean and ds said, 'that means if I had two slices it would be half of the points I get for the day.

• Like 6

I would like to get him a fit bit too.

OH that reminds me I need to buy some hummus to eat with veggies (I know he likes it) and some avocados to add to the egg muffin cups and salads.  

Ok, thanks everyone for the thoughts and opinions. He came home from his moms and dh said, 'ds we are signing you up for WW.' Dss smiled and said ok. And then we measured him (6'1 not 6'2) and he went to weigh. 297. Then I had him sit with me while we set up his account.

I bought him an alarm clock and he plans to get up in the morning and ride his bike for a bit. And then he is going to do a bit of school and go in to the city with me to run errands for my boss and we will go to a good grocery store and buy fruits and vegetables. For breakfast I already have planned to make those egg muffin cups. They are only 1 point each! He could have 3 with a glass of skim milk and that would be a good breakfast I think. He needs some fruit with it but we are out of fruit pretty much. Might have some apples.

I think he is excited. I am doing WW too and I really really want to help him and myself be successful. He had eaten at his mom's but dh brought home pizza. 15 points per slice. I told ds that (he had already said he wasn't eating) So dh asked what that mean and ds said, 'that means if I had two slices it would be half of the points I get for the day.

That's great news, Scarlett! Judging by his positive reaction, I'll bet he's relieved that you and your dh have offered to help him lose weight and that you're already working with him to get him started on WW. I also think it's great that you're involving him in the food shopping. I think it's nice that you're letting him make many of his own food choices. :hurray:

• Like 2

That's great news, Scarlett! Judging by his positive reaction, I'll bet he's relieved that you and your dh have offered to help him lose weight and that you're already working with him to get him started on WW. I also think it's great that you're involving him in the food shopping. I think it's nice that you're letting him make many of his own food choices. :hurray:

Thanks Cat. The egg muffins are in the oven. They look yummy so I hope he likes them. Peppers aren't his favorite so I am hoping to come up with some other veggies to sub for those. He likes mushrooms and onions and spinach. Anyoneyone else make these that might have suggestions?

• Like 1

Thanks Cat. The egg muffins are in the oven. They look yummy so I hope he likes them. Peppers aren't his favorite so I am hoping to come up with some other veggies to sub for those. He likes mushrooms and onions and spinach. Anyoneyone else make these that might have suggestions?

I don't make these but I make a big frittatta which is pretty similar (it's like making a cake vs. cupcakes). 

Broccoli works well -- I dump in frozen chopped broccoli. I've also done the diced frozen peas and carrots. Or you can just leave the peppers out and put in a bit of extra mushrooms and onions and spinach. They're not really an essential part. 

• Like 2

How old is your son? Do they really do surgery on teens? I agree though that it is a serious situation.

My son is 13-1/2.  The bariatric surgeon and his pediatrician want us to wait until 16, however, if he gains another 40-50 pounds, we won't wait. 

They used to do mainly the Lap-Band, but please do not do that. I had one prior to my sleeve and it's basically surgically enforced bulimia.  There are pediatric bariatric surgery programs throughout the country.

I think milk is a great product, and most people with northern European ancestors can drink it just fine. It's one of the best ways to store grass for human consumption.

I agree. Our family has been drinking 1% and 2% milk for years, as well as eating a lot of cheese, and no one has gained weight or become diabetic from it. We also use half & half in coffee, and it's not exactly a rarity for me to have whipped cream on waffles or dessert. :)

I know some people are anti-dairy, but we are not among those people. We are also not against grains or carbs. We try for a balance of all different kinds of foods, and it seems to work well for us.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 3

I agree. Our family has been drinking 1% and 2% milk for years, as well as eating a lot of cheese, and no one has gained weight or become diabetic from it.

I know some people are anti-dairy, but we are not among those people. We are also not against grains or carbs. We try for a balance of all different kinds of foods, and it seems to work well for us.

You aren't obese, I assume, and neither are your family members.  Scarlett's DSS is. He should not be drinking skim milk. Because science.

You aren't obese, I assume, and neither are your family members. Scarlett's DSS is. He should not be drinking skim milk. Because science.

"Science" does not prove that drinking skim milk causes weight gain.

Drinking skim milk can cause a person to want to eat more carbs and sugar, but it doesn't make a person gain weight.

Skim, 1%, and 2% milk have fewer calories than whole milk, so that's why many people drink them as part of their weight loss regimen. Many people also happen to prefer the taste.

There are many successful approaches to weight loss, and none of us know exactly what will work best for Scarlett's dss, but let's not try to scare her by telling her that if her dss drinks skim milk, he will end up diabetic and gaining more weight because that is not necessarily the case at all.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 3

Drinking skim milk can cause a person to want to eat more carbs and sugar, but it doesn't make a person gain weight.

Skim, 1%, and 2% milk have fewer calories than whole milk, so that's why many people drink them as part of their weight loss regimen. Many people also happen to prefer the taste.

There are many successful approaches to weight loss, and none of us know exactly what will work best for Scarlett's dss, but let's not try to scare her by telling her that if her dss drinks skim milk, he will end up diabetic and gaining more weight because that is not necessarily the case at all.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-04-06/skim-milk-could-increase-your-risk-of-diabetes-study-suggests

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/04/18/474403311/the-full-fat-paradox-dairy-fat-linked-to-lower-diabetes-risk

https://www.thediabetescouncil.com/can-i-drink-milk-if-i-have-diabetes/

I said nothing about calories, nothing about effect on weight.  Only on diabetes.

A few studies are showing that there may be an increased risk of diabetes if a person only consumes fat-free or low-fat dairy products over a period of many years, but the American Diabetes Association specifically recommends that people drink skim or 1% milk, so clearly the concept is not universally agreed-upon.

Additionally, no one is suggesting that Scarlett's dss never eat cheese or other dairy products. No one is saying he can never have whole milk again. But if the kid is eating several bowls of cereal in a sitting, the lower fat milk will decrease his calorie consumption by quite a bit, without leaving him feeling deprived. I know people say that whole milk is more filling, but if you've ever watched a 17yo boy eat, I'm not so sure that adage applies, because if they eat quickly, their body doesn't have a chance to signal that it's satisfied.

• Like 4

A few studies are showing that there may be an increased risk of diabetes if a person only consumes fat-free or low-fat dairy products over a period of many years, but the American Diabetes Association specifically recommends that people drink skim or 1% milk, so clearly the concept is not universally agreed-upon.

Additionally, no one is suggesting that Scarlett's dss never eat cheese or other dairy products. No one is saying he can never have whole milk again. But if the kid is eating several bowls of cereal in a sitting, the lower fat milk will decrease his calorie consumption by quite a bit, without leaving him feeling deprived. I know people say that whole milk is more filling, but if you've ever watched a 17yo boy eat, I'm not so sure that adage applies, because if they eat quickly, their body doesn't have a chance to signal that it's satisfied.

The ADA is a joke. Their suggestions are outdated and keep people dependent on injections.

• Like 5

The ADA is a joke. Their suggestions are outdated and keep people dependent on injections.

Wow, that's harsh. Not everyone agrees with your assessment.

And the ADA fully acknowledges that many people can control their diabetes with diet and exercise, and that some people can take pills instead of insulin.

Certainly, not everyone agrees with everything they say, but that's typical of any organization.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 3

And the ADA fully acknowledges that many people can control their diabetes with diet and exercise, and that some people can take pills instead of insulin.

Certainly, not everyone agrees with everything they say, but that's typical of any organization.

Really?? Harsh is eating fat free cheese, turkey bacon and whole wheat pasta for years, injecting yourself multiple times a day and still getting your foot cut off at 63.

• Like 4

Really?? Harsh is eating fat free cheese, turkey bacon and whole wheat pasta for years, injecting yourself multiple times a day and still getting your foot cut off at 63.

My sister is in her 30s and at that point.  She follows the recommendations.  It's done nothing but made sure she had to increase her medication and insulin injections.  Her blood sugars are so high sometimes the meter doesn't read them.  Again, this is with following the guidelines. 

I've known many people in this boat.  I really don't understand why people are being told these things.  It's BS.

• Like 2

Wow. You seem incredibly bitter.

I'm very sorry to hear that someone lost their foot, but what does that have to do with the American Diabetes Association?

I'm not sure why you're attacking me about this, because I don't even know the person you're talking about. I thought we were all here to encourage Scarlett and talk about Weight Watchers and other ideas to help Scarlett's ds could lose weight. :confused:

• Like 3

Wow. You seem incredibly bitter.

I'm very sorry to hear that someone lost their foot, but what does that have to do with the American Diabetes Association?

I'm not sure why you're attacking me about this, because I don't even know the person you're talking about. I thought we were all here to encourage Scarlett and talk about Weight Watchers and other ideas to help Scarlett's ds could lose weight. :confused:

I don't blame her.

Because the information they give people is TERRIBLE and killing them.

I'm bitter too.

• Like 3

My sister is in her 30s and at that point. She follows the recommendations. It's done nothing but made sure she had to increase her medication and insulin injections. Her blood sugars are so high sometimes the meter doesn't read them. Again, this is with following the guidelines.

I've known many people in this boat. I really don't understand why people are being told these things. It's BS.

It's awful, but some people's diabetes just doesn't seem to be controllable, no matter what they do.

I wish they could find a cure for diabetes. It affects so many people. :(

I'm so sorry about your sister. :grouphug:

The ADA is very outdated. Most doctors around here will not recommend following them. Every diabetic I know rolls their eyes at them.

• Like 3

I don't blame her.

Because the information they give people is TERRIBLE and killing them.

I'm bitter too.

But the information works for many, many people.

I would be bitter, too, but I'm not sure your sister is as typical as you think she is. Many people are able to control their diabetes with diet, exercise, and medication. I wish they knew how to help the people for whom the conventional methods don't work. It's terrible to do everything right and still not get better. :(

Well, there has been an association found where skim milk seems to be related to gaining, whereas whole milk to losing.

The thought of the researcers, who were very surprised, is that when you drink whole milk, you feel full for a while.  Whereas with skim, you are still hungry for other things.

I am not worried about diabeetes for Scarlette's ss from skim milk.  But, a glass of whole milk with breakfast might be filling in a way that skim wouldn't, even if it represents more points".  And eting in a satisfying way is going to be important if he is going to avoid yo yo dieting.

• Like 1

The ADA is very outdated. Most doctors around here will not recommend following them. Every diabetic I know rolls their eyes at them.

That is very interesting, because when my dh had his transplant, he had to worry about diabetes and when he spoke with several people he knew were diabetic to ask them questions about it, they were the ones who suggested reading the information on the ADA website. The diabetes specialist at the hospital suggested it as well.

I would be bitter, too, but I'm not sure your sister is as typical as you think she is. Many people are able to control their diabetes with diet, exercise, and medication. I wish they knew how to help the people for whom the conventional methods don't work. It's terrible to do everything right and still not get better. :(

I'm not attacking you, we're having a conversation.

And you've called me bitter before. I'm not so you can stop bringing it up.

And keeping someone on injections isn't controlling diabetes.

• Like 4

I actually never met anyone who followed a truly low carb diet carefully who couldn't get off their medications and control things better.

Even my mother did it after being on medications for many years. 

But yeah, I don't want to completely derail the thread here.  Just not in love with the ADA.

• Like 1

Eating cereal at all is going to be crazy.  It's empty calories.  She was going to make him some egg/veg things to have with skim milk.  Which is why I mentioned whole milk might be a better option.

• Like 3

If she'd eat low carb I believe it would control her diabetes.

I know the ADA is very sketchy about recommending low carb diets. They recognize that it's better for diabetics to eat low carb, but their diet plan isn't low carb because they say people don't stick to low carb diets long term.

That makes no sense to me, either. Common sense dictates that lower carbs would be better!

• Like 4