Menu

If you had funds to spend on Pre-k?

ExcitedMama

I'm signing DD up for Transitional Kindergarten with DS's virtual charter school and they will be letting us spend some of her funds for next year now. We are happily using AAR Pre-K, MP Junior K, lots of Kumon books and the Core Knowledge workbook. We have Artistic Pursuits. That pretty much covers phonics, writing, and art. She tags along when she wants to for history and science. I think I'll get around to doing Miquon with her too. What would you order that was secular?

My 4yo is really into manipulatives....so if you don't have a ton of really good math manipulatives, a balance scale, a magnifying glass, a microscope, I'd add those to the list. I'd also buy a bazillion science kits. Do you have Building Thinking Skills Primary or Developing the Early Learner? Pattern blocks (play the symmetry game--match the other side)?

I'd also be tempted by Spielgaben....https://spielgaben.com/learning_resources/

Essentially, I'd pick things that develop fine motor skills, visual motor processing skills, and are a heck of a lot of fun! :) Happy shopping!

• Like 1

My 4yo is really into manipulatives....so if you don't have a ton of really good math manipulatives, a balance scale, a magnifying glass, a microscope, I'd add those to the list. I'd also buy a bazillion science kits. Do you have Building Thinking Skills Primary or Developing the Early Learner? Pattern blocks (play the symmetry game--match the other side)?

I'd also be tempted by Spielgaben....https://spielgaben.com/learning_resources/

Essentially, I'd pick things that develop fine motor skills, visual motor processing skills, and are a heck of a lot of fun! :) Happy shopping!

We have lots of manipulatives and supplies. I think I'm going to be drowning in art supplies and science kits when I finish using up what's left of DS funds.

I would take a look at the Sonlight or Bookshark book lists for P4/5, and order lots and lots of very beautiful children's books from those lists. And maybe some fun little kid science things like planters, bird feeders, and building blocks. We love our charter homeschool budget. Have fun!

• Like 1

I would definitely go with Art supplies and science equipment. Get as many science-themed manipulative as you can. They are so useful. I would get high quality nonfiction and fiction books. Instruments? My DD learned to read in preschool so we've bought a lot of books on her level and a little above. Imaginary play items? Could those count? 

Quality puzzles and quality math manipulatives (I see you are drowning them - do you have beautiful pattern blocks?), you say you have art supplies - do you need more water color paper? Do you have a light box? A quality headphone set that is kid-sized? Could you buy a kid-sized chair and desk?

Miquon is a good choice. Buy extra cuisenaire rods, a ton of them. Let her play with them like any other building block.

Dover coloring books. Get her the very detailed nature books, birds, mammals, fish, flowers, trees....etc...if you have the funds, buy her a whole collection of these and a pretty container for them.

Simple, laminated field guide fold ups for your area. Store them close to the nature coloring books.

Steadtler colored pencils.

Picture books. You can never have too many quality picture books.

Games. Happy Phonics is fun. Muggins Math games are excellent. Any and all logic and strategy games.

I wouldn't do curriculm...well I take that back . Could you use it for Five in A Row? My kids loved the books, but we didn't do all of the activities. There was something to the repetition of a good book at that age.

https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=019808&subject=Curriculum/2&category=PK+CURRICULUM/11948ook

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=FIARV1

Other than that, I would get a https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Garden-Gift-Live-Caterpillars/dp/B00WE1BKDY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1491600942&sr=8-5&keywords=butterfly+garden

butterfly kit to watch the whole life cycle, get gold fish or inexpensive feeder fish ( and snails to help clean)and put them in a large bowl jar ( suntea jars that are sold this time of year), ant farms, ect. Maybe they would pay for the kits? They do sell kits to schools.

Edited by Silver Brook