Menu

spaghetti squash question

SparklyUnicorn

Does it ever soften?

Made some last night (had some for lunch) with my pasta sauce.  The flavor was fine, but it was a bit crunchier than I'd like.  Not super super crunchy, but I want it softer.  I've cooked it in the past and every time I do I remember what I don't like about it.  Seems like no matter how long I cook it, it never really softens.  Or it goes from crunchier to mush.

I did it in the oven.  I have done it in the micro before.  Leftovers I cooked in the microwave for quite awhile and it still didn't soften!  So I'm wondering if it ever actually does.

I did a small one for an hour in the oven. 

I'm stumped.  I dunno.  I don't cook it very often so maybe I need to keep trying.

Am I the only person who doesn't love spaghetti squash?

People always rave about how you can use it as a substitute for pasta, but we just don't particularly care for it. It's definitely not going to pass for pasta at our house!

Me. It's too bad, I wanted to like it. But no.

• Like 3

Am I the only person who doesn't love spaghetti squash?

People always rave about how you can use it as a substitute for pasta, but we just don't particularly care for it. It's definitely not going to pass for pasta at our house!

I don't love it at all.  LOL

It worked ok as a sub for my pasta sauce.  But no way would I say I love it.  I guess the best I could say is I don't hate it.

• Like 2

It makes a better substitute for hash browns than pasta, IMO. Tastes great seasoned with salt and pepper and fried in bacon grease in a patty shape. Or baked in a casserole with ham, cheese, and sour cream. At that point, however, healthy eating has flown out the window.

And once again, bacon saves the day! :hurray:

• Like 3

It makes a better substitute for hash browns than pasta, IMO. Tastes great seasoned with salt and pepper and fried in bacon grease in a patty shape. Or baked in a casserole with ham, cheese, and sour cream. At that point, however, healthy eating has flown out the window.

ohhh see now this sounds good and low carb

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder - I just used my Instant Pot to steam (two minutes, quick release) half of the last squash from our garden (harvested last early October).  Lovely.  I do note that spaghetti squash goes from perfect to mush in an instant :-(    so once it is done I do NOT cover it to keep warm (or it will just keep steaming into mush). 

I use the meat tenderizer as a "kitchen hammer" to pound a butcher knife through the raw squash to get it into sections.  I scrap the seeds out with a serrated grapefruit spoon.

• Like 1

If you cut it in half the long way and put it in a pan (cut sides up) with about an inch of water in the bottom, it steams the squash a bit as it bakes, which helps it soften quite nicely from my experience. 

I cut it in half the long way, scoop out the seeds, put it in a pan (cut sides down) with about an inch of water at the bottom, and bake for 45min at 350 degrees.  If the strands don't separate easily after 45min, I turn it right side up and cook another 15min maybe. 

I like spaghetti squash and eat it with marinara sauce regularly.

• Like 1

This is what I did.  So now I'm wondering if it really is just crunchier than I like.

Which leads me to think..maybe I just don't like spaghetti squash.  LOL

It is a bit crunchy. Yeah, I like it but I sure don't think of it as a substitute for pasta. 

• Like 1

I find that spaghetti squash is so variable that you can't tell if it will get soft until you cook it and see if it gets soft. My completely unscientific theory is that, although gardening catalogs claim spaghetti squash doesn't need curing, cured squash has a better texture. The best squash that I have eaten is the squash I grew in the garden, then forgot about, until after the first frost when the squash had completely slipped the vines and sat for a while. It had a nice soft texture without cooking it to death. Or maybe it was just starting to rot from sitting out so long? I don't think so, because it stored for a few months without molding. Regardless, it was good squash.  :lol:

• Like 1