Menu

What should I be doing to my lawn this time of year?

extendedforecast

Over the past few years we went from no weeds to lots of weeds. If I don't want to get a letter from the HOA, what can I do to remove the weeds and encourage new grass growth without using harmful fertilizers? I wish I had the time to sit and pull weeds, but the most I can spare is 15 minutes a day. Would it be okay this time of year to sprinkle grass seeds in the bare areas? We have St. Augustine grass and live in the Houston, TX area.

St. Augustine doesn't grow from seed, you have to get sod. Any Home Depot type store should have the variety that grows well in your area in stock now as far south as you live.

Seriously?!?! 😔

I have a couple of large bare spots in the back yard from where the dog used to pee. In the front there is sod throughout, just not full enough to prohibit weed growth. Is there anything I can do about that?

Seriously?!?! 😔

I have a couple of large bare spots in the back yard from where the dog used to pee. In the front there is sod throughout, just not full enough to prohibit weed growth. Is there anything I can do about that?

If you already have a bunch of weeds, your best bet is to do a traditional weed and feed mix made for St. Augustine and keep everyone off the grass for a few days after.  If you want natural, try Milorganite (which is just concentrated cow manure, stinks to high heaven for a day or two), but it's going to "feed" the weeds, too.  Mow as high as possible for choking out weeds, but be ready to spend some time pulling out big patches of weeds

For the bare spots, get 2-4 pieces of sod, but make sure not to mow over them for at least 3-4 weeks and water them by hand until well established.

• Like 1

Well, we're flinging ashes from the coal boiler and driving back, trying to get the last few feet of snow to melt before calving! I think there is grass under there, but it's only a rumor. 

In my area, nothing. It's still covered in snow.  :laugh:

I was just thinking "watching the snow melt?"  :lol:

Y'all are making me jealous. :glare:  I'm not ready for spring, because Spring here is actually summer-lite, which I can deal with. But, if it's spring, that means summer is right around the corner. :scared:  :svengo:

If you already have a bunch of weeds, your best bet is to do a traditional weed and feed mix made for St. Augustine and keep everyone off the grass for a few days after.  If you want natural, try Milorganite (which is just concentrated cow manure, stinks to high heaven for a day or two), but it's going to "feed" the weeds, too.  Mow as high as possible for choking out weeds, but be ready to spend some time pulling out big patches of weeds

For the bare spots, get 2-4 pieces of sod, but make sure not to mow over them for at least 3-4 weeks and water them by hand until well established.

Thanks for the advice CinV. I will pull weeds in the back when the kids are playing, and in the front in the morning when it's shady. I'll let DH handle the fertilizing and sod. We definitely want something natural. I was not aware of this product, which is why the yard has gotten so bad over the past few years (because I didn't like the idea of those chemicals running off into the drain). I really appreciate it!

I know nothing about your area, so I'm no help. But - we found the coolest lawn guy last year after a nightmare dealing with TruGreen. TruGreen killed our entire lawn, it was so sad - looked like the dust bowl. Anyway, we found a guy who used to manage a lot of local golf courses. He has taught us a lot. In our area, we don't seed in spring - there's not enough time before summer heat arrives for the seed to make a healthy start, more likely to end up with diseases. We still have bare patches, but we are just dealing with those this year. In the meantime, he says to do a pre-emergent for weeds sometime soon-ish, but not yet.

Can you find someone local to your area? They could give you better help for your climate and zone.

• Like 1

Here in Los Angles we have been in a major drought (this winter/spring being a major exception) and have had water restrictions leaving my one beautiful lawn worse for wear and slowly being replaced by more drought-tolerant options.

But my St Augustine never looked better (amazingly lush and thick) as when I regularly applied soybean meal and alfalfa meal or pellets from the animal feed store. One does need to make sure they are pure (with no salt). The St Augustine would grow so think with this feed (and plenty of water) that weeds were literally choked out.

One can use a spreader to apply these, but I just cast the soybeans and alfalfa by hand. Dramatic results.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice CinV. I will pull weeds in the back when the kids are playing, and in the front in the morning when it's shady. I'll let DH handle the fertilizing and sod. We definitely want something natural. I was not aware of this product, which is why the yard has gotten so bad over the past few years (because I didn't like the idea of those chemicals running off into the drain). I really appreciate it!

Well, Milorginite is actually the dead remains of microorganisms that are fed on human waste from a municipal sewage system, not cow manure. 

It is a controversial product to be sure.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

Here in Los Angles we have been in a major drought (this winter/spring being a major exception) and have had water restrictions leaving my one beautiful lawn worse for wear and slowly being replaced by more drought-tolerant options.

But my St Augustine never looked better (amazingly lush and thick) as when I regularly applied soybean meal and alfalfa meal or pellets from the animal feed store. One does need to make sure they are pure (with no salt). The St Augustine would grow so think with this feed (and plenty of water) that weeds were literally choked out.

One can use a spreader to apply these, but I just cast the soybeans and alfalfa by hand. Dramatic results.

Bill

Good to know, Bill! Thanks for the tip. I hope you all continue to get more rain, though not all at once. I grew up in the desert, and I have memories of my dad's futile attempts at maintaining a lawn. Eventually he gave up and gave in to xenoscaping.

P.S. Were you the one who changed my life (years ago) by sharing the wonders of grape seed oil for cast iron? If so, you are very wise  :thumbup1:

Good to know, Bill! Thanks for the tip. I hope you all continue to get more rain, though not all at once. I grew up in the desert, and I have memories of my dad's futile attempts at maintaining a lawn. Eventually he gave up and gave in to xenoscaping.

P.S. Were you the one who changed my life (years ago) by sharing the wonders of grape seed oil for cast iron? If so, you are very wise  :thumbup1:

We may have some light rain today, Thursday, and Saturday which is great for the plants and slightly less good for Lacrosse practices planned for those same days.

You can't have it all. But boy, do the roses look good this year!!!

I probably recommended flax-seed oil, so maybe not me. 

Bill 

We may have some light rain today, Thursday, and Saturday which is great for the plants and slightly less good for Lacrosse practices planned for those same days.

You can't have it all. But boy, do the roses look good this year!!!

I probably recommended flax-seed oil, so maybe not me.

Bill

It was flax see oil. I don't know where I got grape seed oil from.

It was flax see oil. I don't know where I got grape seed oil from.

Then yes, that was my brilliance :D

Bill

ETA: Soybean meal and alfalfa (no salt versions) for lawns are as good flax seed oil is for cast-iron. Trust me.

Edited by Spy Car

Well, Milorginite is actually the dead remains of microorganisms that are fed on human waste from a municipal sewage system, not cow manure.

It is a controversial product to be sure.

Bill

It is also irresistible to dogs and will make them very sick if they eat it. Keep the bag out of reach.

What if I already have weeds and crabgrass? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I assume it prevents them from getting worse?

Yes. It will keep them from getting worse. In bad areas, you may need to spot spray individual weeds with weed killer.