Menu

I've just stared walking for exercise...

I'm not a great source of info, but thought I'd at least give my 2 cents and bump you up so someone else might chime in! Walking won't do much for flabby inner thighs. There are target exercises you can do that should help some. Try Googling for specifics. I tried to type one out and couldn't describe it properly! I'd probably have you standing on your head!

Chelle

A lot of the results you see in walking will depend on *how* you walk. Do you take long strides or short strides? Do you walk on flat ground or do you climb lots of hills? Typically though inner thighs are tough, tough, tough. For me the only thing that really morphed my body was running - long slow runs...and I mean slow. They say you don't get into burning deep fat reserves until 45 minutes of cardio.

Are you wearing RUNNING shoes with good arch support??? I thought WALKING shoes were what I was supposed to use, and gave myself plantar fasistis (sp).

The knowledgeable shoe guy at the sporting goods store (and WTMoms here) pointed out that walking shoes were not good enough - RUNNING shoes were what I needed. You need that arch support!

Yes! But let me help you here..do a staggered approach to walking...

5 minutes at 2.5

10 minutes at 3.0

5 minutes at 3.5

10 minutes at 3.0

10 minutes at 3.5

5 minutes at 4.0 (may be a struggle, just lengthen your stride, go back to 3.5 if your heart rate goes too high)

10 minutes at 3.5

10 minutes at 3.0

Cool down (2.5)...that should put you at around 3.2-3.4 miles a day...by increasing in spurts you actually use different muscles that will become more tone and by walking over 45 minutes you burn the fat around those muscles...so you will get tone..if you stick to this regimen for 8 weeks, measure those thighs!!! Also measure your waist because it will go down and your tummy will be flatter!! :)

I'm on my 20 miles a week to a fitter me....that workout has helped tone a lot!!

Tara

First off great job for getting in 3 miles. . My legs trimmed down when I started adding jogging/running intervals into my routine or some inclines/hills when I could. Also cutting sugar, soda etc. It takes a good couple of months of consistency to see great results so do not get discouraged, just keep at it.

I wanted to ad, shape.com is a great resource for toning exercises.

Edited by lynn

I had a dandy response to you all typed out yesterday when the plug got pulled on the system.

Here's the gist....

I re-started a serious walking program last April. Sometime in the middle of summer, I noticed a wonderful thing. I have *muscles* in my thighs. Real muscles that flex and get hard (sort of.) I thought I'd lost them forever over the last two or three years.

In addition to that, I recently got a nice compliment about my good looking legs from someone not my husband. (My cousin, if you must know.)

So, yes, walking will improve your thighs...and other parts of your body. My problem area is my tummy....improvement there, but no six pack yet. :D

Walk on!

Yes and no. :001_smile: If you stick with it and lose fat, you'll lose it all over. Walking should tone your legs in general. But the inner thighs are really tough to get at. Here's one move to work inner and outer thighs that's so easy to do and that you can do at home:

Get one of those exercise bands (the greater the resistance the better, obviously), hold a handle in each hand, and step on the band. Make sure the band is fairly taut from one hand down underneath your feet and to the other hand (depending on your height, you might have to loop the band around your hands to gather up slack). Get into a fairly wide, tense stance (soft knees, somewhat crouched, feet slightly farther apart than shoulders. muscles engaged) and then shuffle-step sideways, first one direction and then the other. The first few steps should be a breeze; the rest will BURN. Take a break when you feel that your thighs are about to spontaneously combust, and lift some weights for your upper body. Then go back and do the shuffle-step again. I do at least 3 sets of 24 reps each (12 steps left, 12 steps right, lather, rinse, repeat).

I'm really impressed you just started walking and you are up to 3 miles aday!!! Do you go by yourself or take the dc?

It varies. When I started Tuesday, I went out at night with the doggie child. Wednesday morning I took the girl child and the doggie child for 30 minutes which girl child complained all the way. That night it was me and the dog for 2 miles. Thursday and Friday night dh went with us. That was the night the dog thought he was supposed to race dd on the scooter. It ended up being the fastest mile I ever did. The scooter didn't go last night.:lol: Thursday morning the two children went with me for a mile walk without complaint. Yesterday morning dd was in PE at ps, the dog was in the crate and I did a little over 1.25 miles.

Are you wearing RUNNING shoes with good arch support??? I thought WALKING shoes were what I was supposed to use, and gave myself plantar fasistis (sp).

The knowledgeable shoe guy at the sporting goods store (and WTMoms here) pointed out that walking shoes were not good enough - RUNNING shoes were what I needed. You need that arch support!

The first night I went out was the first time I had tennis shoes on for over a year. I got a pretty good blister with those shoes. The next couple of days I wore my boots because it was snowing. Yesterday it was warm again and I wore my clogs.

As soon as we get down river again, I'm going to get some good trainers.

Yes! But let me help you here..do a staggered approach to walking...

5 minutes at 2.5

10 minutes at 3.0

5 minutes at 3.5

10 minutes at 3.0

10 minutes at 3.5

5 minutes at 4.0 (may be a struggle, just lengthen your stride, go back to 3.5 if your heart rate goes too high)

10 minutes at 3.5

10 minutes at 3.0

Cool down (2.5)...that should put you at around 3.2-3.4 miles a day...by increasing in spurts you actually use different muscles that will become more tone and by walking over 45 minutes you burn the fat around those muscles...so you will get tone..if you stick to this regimen for 8 weeks, measure those thighs!!! Also measure your waist because it will go down and your tummy will be flatter!! :)

I'm on my 20 miles a week to a fitter me....that workout has helped tone a lot!!

Tara

Thank you!

I had a dandy response to you all typed out yesterday when the plug got pulled on the system.

Here's the gist....

I re-started a serious walking program last April. Sometime in the middle of summer, I noticed a wonderful thing. I have *muscles* in my thighs. Real muscles that flex and get hard (sort of.) I thought I'd lost them forever over the last two or three years.

In addition to that, I recently got a nice compliment about my good looking legs from someone not my husband. (My cousin, if you must know.)

So, yes, walking will improve your thighs...and other parts of your body. My problem area is my tummy....improvement there, but no six pack yet. :D

Walk on!

I've noticed a new muscle just to the right of my left shin and the opposite of the right shin.

Yes and no. :001_smile: If you stick with it and lose fat, you'll lose it all over. Walking should tone your legs in general. But the inner thighs are really tough to get at. Here's one move to work inner and outer thighs that's so easy to do and that you can do at home:

Get one of those exercise bands (the greater the resistance the better, obviously), hold a handle in each hand, and step on the band. Make sure the band is fairly taut from one hand down underneath your feet and to the other hand (depending on your height, you might have to loop the band around your hands to gather up slack). Get into a fairly wide, tense stance (soft knees, somewhat crouched, feet slightly farther apart than shoulders. muscles engaged) and then shuffle-step sideways, first one direction and then the other. The first few steps should be a breeze; the rest will BURN. Take a break when you feel that your thighs are about to spontaneously combust, and lift some weights for your upper body. Then go back and do the shuffle-step again. I do at least 3 sets of 24 reps each (12 steps left, 12 steps right, lather, rinse, repeat).

Thank you for the exercise. Where would one get an exercise band?

My goal for this mission is to lower my obscenely high resting heart rate. Anything else that comes from it is a bonus.

Thank you for the exercise. Where would one get an exercise band?

My goal for this mission is to lower my obscenely high resting heart rate. Anything else that comes from it is a bonus.

Here's a link to Amazon, which gives you a sense of what I'm talking about. If you have a local sporting goods store, you can find them there.

That's a great goal, by the way!