Menu

Low carb ideas for snacks, etc....

DawnM

I don't do low carb but one of my favorite snacks is a boiled egg. Sometimes I mash it and add a little mayo like egg salad. Salt and pepper are the only seasonings I use.

I have to be careful as I do have an allergy to eggs, but I can have some.

you are reminding me to boil a dozen eggs in the Instant Pot, the boys eat them for snacks.

Not healthy, but microwaving slices of pepperoni until crisp is a yummy snack.  Deviled egg, strip of cheese rolled up in a slice of turkey, and bell pepper strips with a wedge of laughing cow cheese.   I have a tiny plate and I put a little bit of a few things on it- like a wedge of cheese and a few pepper strips, half a deviled egg, and a few pepperoni pieces.   I like variety. 

• Like 1

pork rinds if you like that sort of thing

celery with cream cheese or SF peanut butter

veggies with ranch dip (or whatever dip you like)

there are a million and one uses for Fathead dough (google...)..that wouldn't be exactly easy, but you could make some stuff up ahead of time

I have made this before (tweaked a bit):

http://www.lowcarbmaven.com/keto-low-carb-granola/

low carb bars from Aldi if you have Aldi (way cheaper than anywhere else) if you go for that sort of thing

• Like 1

One of my favorite low carb snacks:

warm 2 ounces of full-fat cream cheese in the microwave just until warm enough the stir smooth

add 1 good sized spoon full of full-fat greek yogurt (or sour cream), stir

add a splash of good quality vanilla extract (I use homemade vanilla), stir

add a few frozen raspberries, stir and smash on the berries a bit to break them up

Enjoy a decadent rich raspberry cheesecake!

Note that if you prefer more sweetness, you could add a little sweetener of your choice.

• Like 1

Do you have a recipe or link for those? I've never heard of cream cheese and egg muffins. Thanks!

This is the one I started with, and tweak each time:

2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese

1/2 cup sweetener (I use less than this - maybe 1/4 to 1/3 cup, and I prefer Swerve at the moment)

2 eggs

1/2 tsp. vanilla

Soften cream cheese about 40 seconds in microwave. Add other ingredients. Beat with mixer till smooth. Pour into 12 muffin pans lined with the papers. Bake at 350 for 20 min.

They will fall when you take them out of the oven. Let them cool, keep them in the fridge. I like them best cold.

I have yet to try the fat bombs. I think that would be a good breakfast item because I can't manage to eat breakfast.

I've tried a few fat bomb recipes. The sweet ones are too much for me, usually. Savory are better.

I also make the cream cheese and egg pancakes once in a while. They work when I'm craving carbs.

• Like 2

I've tried a few fat bomb recipes. The sweet ones are too much for me, usually. Savory are better.

I also make the cream cheese and egg pancakes once in a while. They work when I'm craving carbs.

Too much in terms of sweetness?  I tend towards savory  myself.

Which savory ones have you tried?

• Like 1

Too much in terms of sweetness? I tend towards savory myself.

Which savory ones have you tried?

Yes, too sweet for me, but then I don't care for artificial sweeteners very much ... that's the issue for me. I'm still looking for the right sweet recipe.

Savory is easier - I like the ones that have cheese or bacon, mostly.

I'll come back with links after more coffee. :)

• Like 1

You can stuff those little peppers with cream cheese for a snack, but check the brands of cream cheese if you are really strict on your carb numbers. They vary.

Fathead dough is the bomb.  We make fathead crackers to eat with guac....fathead pizza....even fathead cinnamon rolls for an occasional treat.

Not a snack, but I love the egg role in a bowl/crack cole slaw which is super easy to make if you use a bag of cole slaw mix. 

Pecans are low carb.  I've even toasted some in butter and then added swerve and cinnamon.  Yum.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

You can stuff those little peppers with cream cheese for a snack, but check the brands of cream cheese if you are really strict on your carb numbers. They vary.

Fathead dough is the bomb.  We make fhttp://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/01/29/fathead-crackers/http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2016/01/29/fathead-crackers/ to eat with guac....fathead pizza....even fathead cinnamon rolls for an occasional treat.

Not a snack, but I love the egg role in a bowl/crack cole slaw which is super easy to make if you use a bag of cole slaw mix. 

Pecans are low carb.  I've even toasted some in butter and then added swerve and cinnamon.  Yum.

Thanks for the crackers recipe!  The only way I'll eat avocados is as guacamole, and the only way I'll eat guacamole is on chips...  so this might just fit the bill!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  The first couple of weeks I am low fat and low carb, but I am keeping these recipes for when I can go higher fat as well.

I also have to count calories.  

I have done low carb before with the high fat, and didn't lose at all.  I really think it was due to the higher calorie count.

I am a mess.....obviously.

• Like 3

Thanks guys.  The first couple of weeks I am low fat and low carb, but I am keeping these recipes for when I can go higher fat as well.

I have done low carb before with the high fat, and didn't lose at all.  I really think it was due to the higher calorie count.

You'll get through it.   :grouphug:

I have to watch calories, too, or I don't lose.  You probably have your own system, but in case it helps you or someone else: I use the Carb Manager app - it tracks everything, and more.  I don't use all the functions, but use it to track macros, and calories and exercise.  And weight.  I like the graph, and how even with some bumps up I can see it trending down over time.  That is what keeps me going.

• Like 2

I think that makes sense.  I don't remember precise details, but I do remember that Phinney and Volek talk about that:  that in the beginning when you've got body fat to lose, you don't need to eat a whole lot of fat (low enough carbs and just enough fat to make sure you're in ketosis) because you want to let your body fat be the source of fuel, not your dietary fat.  But once you approach/reach maintenance, then you increase your fat intake accordingly.  Their book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, is really helpful by the way.

• Like 2

I love red cabbage, just eaten raw, the crunchy parts particularly.

It is quite filling, very low calorie, and lowish carb.

Radiccio is similar and also a fave.

Celery and fennel are also good, though not quite as healthy.

When I'm trying to cut back, every time I'm hungry I drink a glass of water and eat some of one of those and see whether I'm still hungry after that.  It's quite effective.

I vary this with blackberries sometimes--blackberries are higher calorie/higher carb but not *high*. and very healthy and pretty satisfying for the calorie count.

• Like 1

I love red cabbage, just eaten raw, the crunchy parts particularly.

It is quite filling, very low calorie, and lowish carb.

Radiccio is similar and also a fave.

Celery and fennel are also good, though not quite as healthy.

When I'm trying to cut back, every time I'm hungry I drink a glass of water and eat some of one of those and see whether I'm still hungry after that.  It's quite effective.

I vary this with blackberries sometimes--blackberries are higher calorie/higher carb but not *high*. and very healthy and pretty satisfying for the calorie count.

Yep, when I've got the carbs to spare, I'll do a small portion of frozen berries with whipping cream poured over the top.  Yum.  

• Like 3