Menu

math help - supplements, games, ANYTHING!

Dulce Domem

Help!  I have two kids (boys, age 8 & 10) who still struggle with math.  The 8 year old in particular just has absolutely no math sense and struggles with being overwhelmed with it.  They are both a solid grade level if not more behind (some of that is due to just moving slow because I whole heartedly believe that most of math is developmental and we very much lean toward short lessons, but some is just because they are not math-y and struggle a bit).  

So, this year I am dubbing our summer the "summer of math!"  I am looking for anything we can use to bolster their math skills & conceptual understanding.  Games, fun math books, supplements, etc.  Anyone have any great resources?  Tell me anything & everything!  

We've recently started adding some mathy games into our days, to help DS7 practice his math skills. He's currently loving Prime Climb (board game), Sleeping Queens (card game), Math Dice (dice game), and cribbage. There are lots more games for math practice. You can search the GameSchooling group on facebook for other recommendations.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Help!  I have two kids (boys, age 8 & 10) who still struggle with math.  The 8 year old in particular just has absolutely no math sense and struggles with being overwhelmed with it.  They are both a solid grade level if not more behind (some of that is due to just moving slow because I whole heartedly believe that most of math is developmental and we very much lean toward short lessons, but some is just because they are not math-y and struggle a bit).  

So, this year I am dubbing our summer the "summer of math!"  I am looking for anything we can use to bolster their math skills & conceptual understanding.  Games, fun math books, supplements, etc.  Anyone have any great resources?  Tell me anything & everything!  

I would expect an 8yo to "still struggle with math." :-)

It might help if we knew what you were using to teach.

One of my favorite math "games" is the Wonder Number game.

I would expect an 8yo to "still struggle with math." :-)

It might help if we knew what you were using to teach.

One of my favorite math "games" is the Wonder Number game.

We use Singapore math.  The 8 1/2 year old is in book 2B and the almost 11 year old is in 4A.  We were using math u see until October of 2015, but changed because it did not work in any way, shape, or form for the younger, and was only so-so for the older.  Singapore is a definite improvement.  

And to be honest, with the 8 year old it is more than just a "struggle with math."  I'm very close to taking him in to be tested for discalculia.  Today, looking at a number such as 138, he could not tell me "one hundred thirty eight."  He has almost no number sense at all, and still writes 3s & 6s backwards.  He is an excellent writer & speller & reader, with no letter reversals.  I just don't even know where to begin to have him tested for that.  If someone knows, chime in!

The almost 11 year old has fine number sense, he just is not detail oriented and so makes silly mistakes.  But his math understanding is excellent.  

Does that help?

I agree check out this pinned thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

What are you using?  Have you tried something like MUS?

If they continue struggling you might look into dyscalculia.

Funny, I hadn't even gotten to this point in reading the replies and I already replied to someone that I suggest dyscalculia with the youngest and I need to pursue testing.  I am unsure as to how to even begin.....ugh.

We use Singapore math. The 8 1/2 year old is in book 2B and the almost 11 year old is in 4A. We were using math u see until October of 2015, but changed because it did not work in any way, shape, or form for the younger, and was only so-so for the older. Singapore is a definite improvement.

And to be honest, with the 8 year old it is more than just a "struggle with math." I'm very close to taking him in to be tested for discalculia. Today, looking at a number such as 138, he could not tell me "one hundred thirty eight." He has almost no number sense at all, and still writes 3s & 6s backwards. He is an excellent writer & speller & reader, with no letter reversals. I just don't even know where to begin to have him tested for that. If someone knows, chime in!

The almost 11 year old has fine number sense, he just is not detail oriented and so makes silly mistakes. But his math understanding is excellent.

Does that help?

I wouldn't be highly concerned about number reversals. I have a 7 year old who is really good at math but still does occasional number reversals. I would be slightly more concerned about not getting the hundreds, tens and ones thing if it's a common thing and not just having a moment. One thing that helps with mine with Singapore occasionally is if I scribe. It lets the brain think purely about the math without having to think about the writing process as well.

Singapore is a pretty challenging program. I did end up using the extra practise for my older kid last year and I really recommend it. It has simpler more detailed explanations. We didn't do it all just some of the stuff that wasn't sinking in.

For learning to work with adding 100s and stuff nothing beats sitting down and playing monopoly for a few afternoons if your kids enjoy that.

I wouldn't be highly concerned about number reversals. I have a 7 year old who is really good at math but still does occasional number reversals. I would be slightly more concerned about not getting the hundreds, tens and ones thing if it's a common thing and not just having a moment. One thing that helps with mine with Singapore occasionally is if I scribe. It lets the brain think purely about the math without having to think about the writing process as well.

Singapore is a pretty challenging program. I did end up using the extra practise for my older kid last year and I really recommend it. It has simpler more detailed explanations. We didn't do it all just some of the stuff that wasn't sinking in.

For learning to work with adding 100s and stuff nothing beats sitting down and playing monopoly for a few afternoons if your kids enjoy that.

Monopoly.....AAAGGHHHH!!!  But you are right.  Maybe I can pass that one off to Dad.  ;)

I may need to just buy the extra practice pages.  When we first moved to singapore, it was amazing how much it helped his math understanding.  We seem to have just hit a block.  He also tends to be my lazy kid, so lazy + math just doesn't make a great combo.

We've recently started adding some mathy games into our days, to help DS7 practice his math skills. He's currently loving Prime Climb (board game), Sleeping Queens (card game), Math Dice (dice game), and cribbage. There are lots more games for math practice. You can search the GameSchooling group on facebook for other recommendations.

We love Prime Climb (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), too.  We played Zeus on the Loose (addition, subtraction, and round up) for the first time tonight and enjoyed it. I second the GameSchooling group on the Facebook. 

• Like 2