Menu

So I decided to log our books...

EMS83

I clearly a) have too much time on my hands and b) am some sort of closet Type A nerd.  Not quite done yet, because we have a box of books at my parents' house I keep forgetting to rummage through.  

The title total so far, roughly 1/3 digital and 2/3 physical: 702   :svengo:

Some of those digital titles are collections, too--everything Jane Austen ever wrote, for example.  

On top of that, I have well over 100 more titles hanging out on my Amazon lists, many of those collections as well.  

I think I might have a problem...  

Had to share, sorry.  Carry on.   :lol:

• Like 1

Pretty sure we have at least 1,000 books in our front room alone. And I know for a fact we have over 1,000 on the kindle, but a lot of them I got for free off of Netgalley (ARCs) or Gutenberg (public domain books).

I just remember the motto: Too many books is never a problem. Lack of shelf space is sometimes an issue.

(I have a dream of buying tons of rotary bookshelves, clearing up some space that way.)

On that note, sometimes the girls complain they have "nothing to read". This is clearly a risible statement, and I tell them something I heard a few years ago and never forgot. Apparently, the average number of books in an American household is seven. And with the three of us hauling that average way, way, up, that means there's got to be somebody on the bottom who has no books at all.

• Like 7

When we were building our current home, I had the architect reconfigure the pantry so I could have a shelf just for my cookbooks in the kitchen.

When I first got my Kindle, within a few months, I had over a hundred digital books (many were free classics). I recall telling this to my sister, who lives in NYC, so limited space, and she chuckled and said, "Amateur!" :D

I love my books. This is the #1 reason I cannot live in a tiny house. After that, piano and chickens top the list.

• Like 3

Yup, over 1000 books here in the room that I am currently in.  Never mind the books in other rooms.  We used to have bookshelves in every room, including hallways with the exception of the two bathrooms.  I figure there were probably 2000+ books in the house at one point.  We've cut back (OK, I've cut back) and we are probably down to 1500.

I come by it honestly though. 

My parents had to build shelving in their basement that is like a library - as in aisles of shelving because their shelving around the perimeter of the rooms wasn't cutting it anymore.  

I sometimes worry about what will happen when I inherit all those books.  Will the weight exceed the weight-bearing limit of my floor? :blink:

• Like 1

Thanks for the cataloging suggestions!  I was clueless about such things.  :D

And now I have book envy, lol.  But glad I'm not alone!  We had many growing up, but maybe 200, 300 at the outside.  Unless there were some packed away somewhere.  My parents would do the library thing a lot.  The library doesn't work for me.

When I was growing up, my parents had one bookcase of books- all boring self-help type ones. We thankfully went to the library a lot and I LOVED the library. I wanted to be a librarian when I grew up. And now I am- a librarian of our own personal book collection. Where we used to live the library was horrible- I mean horrible. So if I wanted my kids to read I had to have books for them. So, I started collecting them from used book sales and home school sales. Anyway, I now have lots and lots of books. Somewhere around 2,000 I think. My kids love to read. Even my eighteen month old loves to look at books. We moved ourselves cross country this past year and half of our Penske truck was books. My husband is the best.:)

There are lots of great articles about the importance of book in the home so I just take comfort in that.

• Like 1

My nightstand is an old cabinet I bought at an auction for 50 cents.  I use it as a bookshelf and I have books 3 deep in it.  So, just next to my bed I have at least 150 books.  I just counted my ebooks, which totals around 450.  I actually don't keep books in the living room or bathroom, but have books in every other room.  I admit I don't keep all the books I read.  I donate quite a bit to the local thrift store.  (I have even been known to throw books away, but don't tell anyone!)

• Like 1

My nightstand is an old cabinet I bought at an auction for 50 cents. I use it as a bookshelf and I have books 3 deep in it. So, just next to my bed I have at least 150 books. I just counted my ebooks, which totals around 450. I actually don't keep books in the living room or bathroom, but have books in every other room. I admit I don't keep all the books I read. I donate quite a bit to the local thrift store. (I have even been known to throw books away, but don't tell anyone!)

Woman after my own heart!

My beadframe and headboard is very out of fashion. It is a ten-foot-wide behemoth with a built-in light bridge and two large cabinets and set of drawers on each side as nightstands. I really think it is ugly, but the main reason I haven't replaced it is those cabinets! Wow! They are the 8th wonder of the world! You would not believe the sheer number of books, notebooks, pens, bookmarks and sticky notes I can keep in there, right beside my bed, not to mention I have a reading light ideally situated because of the built-in light bridge. It's like I sleep enveloped in a library!

• Like 2

Woman after my own heart!

My beadframe and headboard is very out of fashion. It is a ten-foot-wide behemoth with a built-in light bridge and two large cabinets and set of drawers on each side as nightstands. I really think it is ugly, but the main reason I haven't replaced it is those cabinets! Wow! They are the 8th wonder of the world! You would not believe the sheer number of books, notebooks, pens, bookmarks and sticky notes I can keep in there, right beside my bed, not to mention I have a reading light ideally situated because of the built-in light bridge. It's like I sleep enveloped in a library!

This is supposed to go with my previous post:  (I don't know what I did wrong)

I have an old bookcase headboard too, with the mirror and everything.  My parents were throwing it out and I brought it home.  Totally from the 80s but I have a ton of stuffed crammed into it.

Edited by LuvToRead
  • Like 2