Menu

Pyrex Storage or Rubbermaid Glass?

Slache

Glass snap ware!! (They have it at Costco.)

It's tempered glass, bpa free polypropylene lids.  I move stuff between freezer, fridge, and microwave often. We've had our initial set for over 5 years, and we just bought a second set so that I could put more individual portions of food into the freezer.

ETA: I like the locking lids because they are less prone to warping than non-lock style lids.  I get really frustrated by how much my rubbermaid and pyrex bigger lids have warped with time and use.

Edited by kbeal
  • Like 1

I got a bunch of red-lid glass pyrex when we  moved off plastic.  They are NOT watertight, and that is *annoying*.  Their sister brand, AnchorHocking has watertight lids and are just fine.  

I had a bunch of Rubbermaid that I liked just fine, but when we moved off plastic, they got a trip o Goodwill.  :0)

Pyrex sent me a replacement lid once, but the Snapware sounds like it would be more durable. Whatever you choose don't do what I did, some Pyrex some Anchor Hocking. It all looks the same size, but the lids are not interchangeable. Same is true between red and blue Pyrex lids, although those sort of work.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of my Pyrex. The glass lasts forever, but what do you do when the lids crack?

You can reorder specific pieces off their website, either lids or bottoms.

Our Snap Lock stuff is Pyrex. If I could find it at Costco again, that is where we would be. I use the smaller containers for portion control.

Edited by EndOfOrdinary
  • Like 3

I swear I had looked before and couldn't find them. Placing an order now!

I should have added... I had had those lidless pyrex dishes knocking around the house for a long time... till I finally decided to look for lids. And they were all there!  It was such an exciting day when they arrived!  :-)

• Like 2

I'm not a huge fan of my Pyrex. The glass lasts forever, but what do you do when the lids crack?

I just buy replacement lids.  I just googled for replacement lids and found a place that sold them.  They were a few bucks each depending on the size and I ordered a bunch just to save on shipping.  I actually have more lids than dishes at the moment.

Pyrex sent me a replacement lid once, but the Snapware sounds like it would be more durable. Whatever you choose don't do what I did, some Pyrex some Anchor Hocking. It all looks the same size, but the lids are not interchangeable. Same is true between red and blue Pyrex lids, although those sort of work.

My most common used pieces are the 2 cup round and the 4 cup round and they most definitely are interchangeable.  My some of my pyrex and as aqua blue lid and some has a navy blue lid but they definitely are the same size.

My most common used pieces are the 2 cup round and the 4 cup round and they most definitely are interchangeable. My some of my pyrex and as aqua blue lid and some has a navy blue lid but they definitely are the same size.

Well, I can use the blue lid on the red bowl, but not the red lid on the blue bowl. I don't know if it is just manufacturing tolerance or because I picked up the red lid ones at Aldi. I just mention it because OP might want to buy whatever she gets all at once to avoid this annoyance. That's great yours are interchangeable, though. I dislike searching through the fridge for the mis-lidded leftovers!

• Like 1