Menu

SAT Math portion - what's the quick and dirty way of learning algebra 2 for the test?

DD has done AoPS intro to algebra and will be done with geometry by May.

If she wanted to take the SAT this summer, has she covered enough math so far? Or should she go through AoPS Intermediate algebra first? Meaning, she would wait until 2018 to take it. Or are there certain chapters we can go over in Intermediate Algebra so that she can do well enough for her age? She just wants to get a baseline and work from that point.

I'm embarrassed to ask this given that we're supposed to learn for the sake of learning and all that, but given what we've covered, is there a quicker way to cover the algebra 2 portion of the SAT without beginning AoPS Intermediate Algebra yet? Which book is to the point and gears more toward standardized testing? There, I asked it.

Younger boy did the SAT before starting on the AoPS Intermediate Algebra and managed to get close to 700 on his math section. He took in June at the end of 5th grade so it was funny for talent search but we sorted it out with all the talent search admins.

If you are aiming for above 700, Khan Academy SAT prep as well as Barron's or Princeton Review prep book would cover whatever your daughter might not have learned.

• Like 1

I have the same question as you but can I butt in and ask why you chose SAT vs ACT?

Fwiw, we are finishing algebra I (Foerster, stopped AOPS half way through algebra and it all leaked out), a thinkwell geometry and maybe an MEP tiny unit on trig. And that will be all the math we get to, whether it's enough or not it doesn't matter at this point.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

I have the same question as you but can I butt in and ask why you chose SAT vs ACT?

There is qualifying for SET using SAT scores.

"Students qualify for SET by taking the SAT before age 13 and scoring at least 700 on either the Math or Verbal (Critical Reading) test. Students who take the SAT after their 13th birthday may qualify for SET by scoring an additional 10 points above 700 for each month after their 13th birthday, up to the maximum SAT score of 800 at 13 years 10 months." http://cty.jhu.edu/set/eligibility/

For my kids, if I use the Collegeboard concordance tables to compare their new SAT and their ACT composite scores, there is negligible differences. (ETA: my kids took both SAT and ACT for baseline)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

"Students qualify for SET by taking the SAT before age 13 and scoring at least 700 on either the Math or Verbal (Critical Reading) test. Students who take the SAT after their 13th birthday may qualify for SET by scoring an additional 10 points above 700 for each month after their 13th birthday, up to the maximum SAT score of 800 at 13 years 10 months." http://cty.jhu.edu/set/eligibility/

For my kids, if I use the Collegeboard concordance tables to compare their new SAT and their ACT composite scores, there is negligible differences.

Oh right. Makes sense. We're not trying for that.

Honestly, even AOPS Pre-Algebra provides a lot of prep for the SAT.  You should be well covered, but it may be worthwhile to get some practice exams just to see where strengths / weaknesses lay.

SET, by the way, has proven little more than a curiosity for DS.  The free magazines are nice (you can also pay for them), but that's all that we have seen come from it.  There are some possibilities for future networking, so there's that.

• Like 1

Younger boy did the SAT before starting on the AoPS Intermediate Algebra and managed to get close to 700 on his math section. He took in June at the end of 5th grade so it was funny for talent search but we sorted it out with all the talent search admins.

If you are aiming for above 700, Khan Academy SAT prep as well as Barron's or Princeton Review prep book would cover whatever your daughter might not have learned.

Thanks, I'll get a couple of SAT books. We may not even time to do much of it until the summer, so I think it'll be a fall SAT test.

Fwiw, we are finishing algebra I (Foerster, stopped AOPS half way through algebra and it all leaked out), a thinkwell geometry and maybe an MEP tiny unit on trig. And that will be all the math we get to, whether it's enough or not it doesn't matter at this point.

I'm on the west coast and for some reason people don't talk about ACT, though a good friend's son did take both the SAT and ACT and just got into Duke. Maybe things are changing here.

I get it, DD loses some math if we don't review. Since geometry has had a lot of algebra so far, we're okay with most of it. It's just the last half of Intro to Algebra that I think we need to review. Every time I mention graphs and parabolas she groans. Sometimes I think AoPS takes so much time and so much depth that we lose the pace of learning a subject to the point where she forgets the beginning. I feel like we are sacrificing speed in order to use AoPS and it's going to cost us on the SAT.

Take a practice test - see what he's missing. You will have covered most all of it.

Determinant of a matrix shows up sometimes.

Edited to add that you definitely don't need the AoPS intermediate algebra book.

Good to know, I'm not ready for Intermediate Algebra quite yet.

For my kids, if I use the Collegeboard concordance tables to compare their new SAT and their ACT composite scores, there is negligible differences. (ETA: my kids took both SAT and ACT for baseline)

Honestly, even AOPS Pre-Algebra provides a lot of prep for the SAT.  You should be well covered, but it may be worthwhile to get some practice exams just to see where strengths / weaknesses lay.

SET, by the way, has proven little more than a curiosity for DS.  The free magazines are nice (you can also pay for them), but that's all that we have seen come from it.  There are some possibilities for future networking, so there's that.

AOPS works well for DD, but I don't really know how that translates into SAT scores. She's not a good test taker, except for NLE and NGE. Actually she did do the SAT Latin test last summer after Latin 2. She did okay for the level of knowledge. But she did it quickly and was ready to leave before the hour was up. I hope a year makes some difference.

Thanks, I'll get a couple of SAT books. We may not even time to do much of it until the summer, so I think it'll be a fall SAT test.

I'm on the west coast and for some reason people don't talk about ACT, though a good friend's son did take both the SAT and ACT and just got into Duke. Maybe things are changing here.

There is an August date but by the time mail in registration forms are ready, we might not be able to register in time for August (in my kids case for subject tests). The libraries are well stocked with the new SAT test prep books by Barron's, Princeton Review and Kaplan. There is no need to buy test prep books.

My kids ACT scores are well received by the private high schools here. The ACT didn't change much other than the writing section so people understand ACT scores while they are still puzzling over the new SAT scores.

You have to do a quick and dirty review of very simple probability and statistics too which is why test prep books are more practical to just get the job done. The prob and statistics section is in the pre-common core Algebra 1 textbooks but it is easier to just use test prep to revise then dig out old textbooks.

We did get to talk to the CTY SET staff when we were at JHU for the award ceremony. So if your daughter gets above 700 in English or Math or both, it is a nice side benefit if you are already enrolled in their talent search program.

• Like 1

We did get to talk to the CTY SET staff when we were at JHU for the award ceremony. So if your daughter gets above 700 in English or Math or both, it is a nice side benefit if you are already enrolled in their talent search program.

Just curious (if you don't mind my asking)...  We met with the staff, as well, and that was the only meaningful conversation we have had.  Have you actually found benefit from SET, beyond the medal and magazines?

Not really meaning to knock it - it is a study, after all, and not a secret society or anything - it just seems to me that it's easy to get one's hopes up that kids will have better access to educational opportunities due to the SET label.

Just curious (if you don't mind my asking)...  We met with the staff, as well, and that was the only meaningful conversation we have had.  Have you actually found benefit from SET, beyond the medal and magazines?

One benefit for DS was that he was allowed to join Cogito earlier than the 13yo age cut. He is an only child who has a small social circle so the online camaraderie was nice for him for a while.

He enjoys reading the newsletter and sending them updates (I'm quite hands off there).

We did not attend any ceremonies so no medals (registered directly via CB).

SET folks will write a letter to colleges if necessary but I am not sure what that letter will contain. We decided not to make use of it. But I did ask DS to list SET as an academic award when applying to colleges since he is graduating early. His ECs/ awards are few so we just added what we could. :tongue_smilie:

Re meaningful conversations, I have not met any staff f2f but have exchanged a few lovely emails with one of the supervisors.

it just seems to me that it's easy to get one's hopes up that kids will have better access to educational opportunities due to the SET label.

I wasn't expecting anything from SET the same way I wasn't expecting anything from Davidson. After years of advocating in public school for both my kids, my expectations are really nil.

We are going the private school option for high school so what really get people willing to talk to us (parents and child) was test scores. The SET cutoff is 700. My area schools only get excited with test scores close to perfect. Many math accelerated kids take SAT for talent search in my area and afterschool at RSM, including SAT test prep. So really YMMV.

ETA:

AMC scores are another widely understood scores since private schools want potential top scorers and they host the AMCs for their students.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I wasn't expecting anything from SET...

I agree. For us it's just something extra. A nice award. Not necessary to have but at that time, we felt we might be able to use it for advocacy...luckily, the CC did not ask for more. Placement exam results sealed the deal.

My kids were awarded a couple free courses of their choice at a local college. I believe that all the local SET level scorers received this (but my experience is 10 - 15 years old now).

It is now the top scorers staying nearest to the sponsoring college.

"What are the one-course scholarships some SET members receive?

Some CTY Talent Search participants receive a one-course scholarship to a college or community college near their home if a nearby school grants CTY such a scholarship. Students do not apply for these scholarships; they are automatically considered. To be eligible, a student must be current a Talent Search participant who took the SAT or ACT by February 28; scholarships are awarded to the highest scoring participant living closest to the donating institution. Students who receive one-course scholarships are notified by email in mid-July by CTY's Talent Search department. SET does not determine who receives these scholarships." http://cty.jhu.edu/set/ask.html#onecourse

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I agree. For us it's just something extra. A nice award. Not necessary to have but at that time, we felt we might be able to use it for advocacy...luckily, the CC did not ask for more. Placement exam results sealed the deal.

That's pretty much how we see it, too.  DS doesn't really use Cogito, but it is there.  Maybe younger DS will, though.  We'll have him try out next year, just in case.

My kids were awarded a couple free courses of their choice at a local college. I believe that all the local SET level scorers received this (but my experience is 10 - 15 years old now).

It is now the top scorers staying nearest to the sponsoring college.

"What are the one-course scholarships some SET members receive?

Some CTY Talent Search participants receive a one-course scholarship to a college or community college near their home if a nearby school grants CTY such a scholarship. Students do not apply for these scholarships; they are automatically considered. To be eligible, a student must be current a Talent Search participant who took the SAT or ACT by February 28; scholarships are awarded to the highest scoring participant living closest to the donating institution. Students who receive one-course scholarships are notified by email in mid-July by CTY's Talent Search department. SET does not determine who receives these scholarships." http://cty.jhu.edu/set/ask.html#onecourse

Unfortunately, that doesn't work here.  To be fair, we aren't on either coast, so there are no "local" options.  There is a Duke TIP equivalent (and, honestly, their summer courses are better), but requires a perfect score.

I agree that you should start with a practice test.  After that, the Khan Academy practice may be sufficient if you need to fill any holes.  FWIW, AoPS Intro to Algebra was plenty to prepare for the algebra on the PSAT.  I don't know how much more is covered on the SAT, though.

• Like 1

ALEKS online math has preparation for SAT math. It's $20 per month, with discounts for 6 or 12 months.  They give you an assessment to begin and then periodically, and then you just work through topics. One good thing is that you can work in short sessions and work from any computer with an internet connection. 

I agree with taking practice tests also. Something like ALEKS can be a lot quicker than figuring out where the holes are yourself and then figuring out how to best fill them, but practice tests are a form of prep in and of themselves, and it definitely helps to be familiar with the format and timing.

• Like 2

ALEKS online math has preparation for SAT math. It's $20 per month, with discounts for 6 or 12 months.  They give you an assessment to begin and then periodically, and then you just work through topics. One good thing is that you can work in short sessions and work from any computer with an internet connection. 

I agree with taking practice tests also. Something like ALEKS can be a lot quicker than figuring out where the holes are yourself and then figuring out how to best fill them, but practice tests are a form of prep in and of themselves, and it definitely helps to be familiar with the format and timing.

ALEKS is back at https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/aleks.  Check it out to see if it's a good deal. I've heard great things about it.

• Like 2