Menu

CLE is moving too fast for my child....sugestions?

Mom28kds

My daughter is in 5th grade and doing CLE 4 books. I am doing LA and Math. It seems to be getting too hard for her. She is starting to not remember and make lots of mistakes. Any suggestions? I like spiral because she really needs to continue going over things or she forgets. I do like CLE and am using it for my other kids but it seems to be moving to fast for her. Also, would you switch mid year or hang tight and work through this year and change next year. Our school goes into May.

Disclaimer: I have not used CLE.

I discovered when using Saxon with my older son that the reason he needed all that review (and the reason he hit a wall after a certain point) was that he was not learning the material conceptually--he was learning each individual thing as something separate to be memorized.  When we changed tactics--in our case, we moved to MUS Beta from halfway through 7/6--he relearned everything conceptually and was good to go. 

If I had it to do over again, I would have used Singapore with him.  

• Like 2

My son is having the same exact problem.  I think my son may need more of a mastery approach. He is on the spectrum, and I think not having enough problems to really master a concept is overwhelming him.  He can get through a lesson, and do well, if I sit next to him and help remind him how to work a problem.  Then he finishes the rest of the problems with no issues.  He just cannot remember how to do them at all.   I love CLE, but considering switching him to MUS.

He also uses CLE LA and Reading 4... No problems at all with CLE LA... Reading can be tough, as there are many thought provoking questions.  

• Like 1

We are doing Reading also. She is struggling with all 3 subjects. I've not considered mastery but from the responses MUS would be something to look into. Would you hang tough for the remainder of the year? My other child is doing the same as her so I have 2 doing the same work load. He is doing fine with CLE. I've never been one to jump ship mid year but want to do what's best. I want her to learn......

Is this their first year with CLE?  I would hang tight and just go slower and explain the concepts a bit more thoroughly.  Maybe even do half a lesson.  I have slowed way down with the CLE LA 6 for my 6th grader.  I am ok with that though...  If I stick with CLE, there are only 2 English courses in high school, in addition to Literature.  I figured I have plenty of time to get through it.

I have, at times, considered switching to Easy Grammar, but CLE covers so much more.  You can look into switching to R&S since it is mastery and do most of it orally.  We have done R&S and I love that program as well, but we much prefer workbooks. 

Are you a part of the CLE Facebook group?  It is very active and I bet you can get some good advice there as well.  

• Like 1

Is this their first year with CLE?  I would hang tight and just go slower and explain the concepts a bit more thoroughly.  Maybe even do half a lesson.  I have slowed way down with the CLE LA 6 for my 6th grader.  I am ok with that though...  If I stick with CLE, there are only 2 English courses in high school, in addition to Literature.  I figured I have plenty of time to get through it.

I have, at times, considered switching to Easy Grammar, but CLE covers so much more.  You can look into switching to R&S since it is mastery and do most of it orally.  We have done R&S and I love that program as well, but we much prefer workbooks. 

Are you a part of the CLE Facebook group?  It is very active and I bet you can get some good advice there as well.  

Yes, I'm part of the FB group. This is her 2nd year with CLE. 

In regards to math: Fourth grade is the time that all they have learned to that point goes into hyperdrive. One problem contains so many steps and parts (such as long division--divide, multiply, subtract...). It's hard enough to work towards remembering all the steps. If there is any struggle within the steps it compounds everything. You know your student best, and perhaps a new approach is needed. However, we have continued CLE 4 while adding in Math-It to build speed and fluency.

ETA-we did not do the speed drills or flash card portions of CLE. Had we followed the program completely, fluency would have been much improved (hindsight 20/20 and all that). I'm adding this to say we didn't supplement CLE because the program itself is lacking. However, some children may need extra help with fluency even so.

Edited by Dawn E
  • Like 2

Where is she struggling?  Does she not have her math facts memorized? Is she struggling in the procedure of how to do things? I'd pinpoint where the problem is.  We own MUS (alpha-algebra2), and we switched TO CLE because MUS wasn't enough.  MUS is mastery based, and it is so easy to forget previous things you've learned.

Thank you for the input. She has her facts down. But it's also in LA. It's remembering how to do the problems, following all directions and in LA when she has to do multiple things to a sentence, she doesn't remember how to do it. I didn't know if there was a curriculum that might go slower to help her. If not, I can just stick with it. I'm just wanting her to learn.

I am a big fan of CLE (math) but it just didn't work for one of my kids. For one thing he needs more practice with new concepts than CLE provides. Also CLE covers a bajillion review topics in each lesson which left him overwhelmed and confused. I switched him to R&S this year and he is doing so much better. It is mastery with lots of review - exactly what my ds needs. I would definitely recommend checking it out. MUS could be another good option. I have been considering MUS for next year because R&S does not have workbooks. In my case, though, I think I need to stick with the "if it ain't broke..." mantra.

I would probably slow CLE way down for now to finish out the year and make a full switch next fall. That will give you time to research and come to a decision.

I haven't used CLE's language arts. My first thought would be too slow it way down. Typically there is so much overlap from year to year in LA that I wouldn't worry about getting "behind". But if it is similar to math with all its bite-sized pieces, then I know it wouldn't work for us at any speed. You might want to look at R&S for English, too.

• Like 1

Are you going through school with her, or checking it after she dies it alone?

That she's struggling with it across subject areas leads me to think it's not the material.

Which unit are you in? (I have CLE 4 here.)

It's not just one unit. It's been a constant theme but getting worse in all subjects. I'm trying to figure out if we just need to just keep working through and hoping some things are sticking or if something slower paced is better for her. She needs to feel some success.

Are you going through school with her, or checking it after she dies it alone?

That she's struggling with it across subject areas leads me to think it's not the material.

I do both! I am having her checked for learning problems. I still need to see what would work for her :)

We are doing Reading also. She is struggling with all 3 subjects. I've not considered mastery but from the responses MUS would be something to look into. Would you hang tough for the remainder of the year? My other child is doing the same as her so I have 2 doing the same work load. He is doing fine with CLE. I've never been one to jump ship mid year but want to do what's best. I want her to learn......

If something is not working, there is no reason to continue doing it, IMO.  

If you want to switch to MUS, be sure to give her the placement test and watch her take it.  She should be able to get the right answers while doing the problems in a relaxed and confident way.  The point where either of these breaks down is where she should be placed.

• Like 3

Are you certain she has no learning challenges?  Maybe mild dyslexia or dyscalculia?  Low processing speed/low working memory?

We use CLE but we have had to slow down quite a bit at times, work to mastery on certain concepts, and we have had to incorporate other math programs into the mix for things to really gel.  Some kids just need a lot more help, and from more than one perspective, for things to make sense.

I would do two things:

1.  Slow down, introduce new material with her maybe using manipulatives/dry erase board and do several problems together for practice.  Then have her do the review problems but in areas she is struggling, do those together, and do not move forward with those until she has them more solid.  

2.  Introduce a more conceptually based program on the side.  Maybe look at Beast Academy or MM (or MUS if you have the money).  See how it goes.  If she is clicking with this, then try switching to this as the main program and CLE as the review.  Depending on how things go, you might be able to drop one or the other later on but I found my kids needed both approaches.

The other thing you might consider is signing her up for something like CTC Math.  She can do the same types of problems as many times as needed until she feels she understands the material but can just move on when she feels she has it down.  Later, if she has forgotten something, she can return any time she likes and review the material for that specific topic at any level from Kinder through Calculus.  DD loves being able to step waaayyy back for review then move forward at the pace that works best for her, as far forward as she can handle.  It is usually on sale through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/ctc-math/?c=1

Are you certain she has no learning challenges?  Maybe mild dyslexia or dyscalculia?  Low processing speed/low working memory?

We use CLE but we have had to slow down quite a bit at times, work to mastery on certain concepts, and we have had to incorporate other math programs into the mix for things to really gel.  Some kids just need a lot more help, and from more than one perspective, for things to make sense.

I would do two things:

1.  Slow down, introduce new material with her maybe using manipulatives/dry erase board and do several problems together for practice.  Then have her do the review problems but in areas she is struggling, do those together, and do not move forward with those until she has them more solid.  

2.  Introduce a more conceptually based program on the side.  Maybe look at Beast Academy or MM (or MUS if you have the money).  See how it goes.  If she is clicking with this, then try switching to this as the main program and CLE as the review.  Depending on how things go, you might be able to drop one or the other later on but I found my kids needed both approaches.

The other thing you might consider is signing her up for something like CTC Math.  She can do the same types of problems as many times as needed until she feels she understands the material but can just move on when she feels she has it down.  Later, if she has forgotten something, she can return any time she likes and review the material for that specific topic at any level from Kinder through Calculus.  DD loves being able to step waaayyy back for review then move forward at the pace that works best for her, as far forward as she can handle.  It is usually on sale through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/ctc-math/?c=1

Thank you for this! I am on a budget so thanks for the other option ideas :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the input. She has her facts down. But it's also in LA. It's remembering how to do the problems, following all directions and in LA when she has to do multiple things to a sentence, she doesn't remember how to do it. I didn't know if there was a curriculum that might go slower to help her. If not, I can just stick with it. I'm just wanting her to learn.

We don 't use CLE, but one thing I do with my kids, when they are having problems remembering all the steps to something, is come up with a general procedure of how to do it, so I can guide them through the thinking process using the same steps in the same order in the same words each time.  (Eventually I write it down so they can use it themselves.)  I think of the steps *I* go through to solve the problem - how I think through the problem and figure out what to do when - and put them into words.  It's kind of a flow chart.  Look at what you have: is it <this> or <that>?  If it's <this>, then what sort of problem is it?  If it's <that>, then what sort of problem is it?  Ok, now we know what sort of problem we have.  So in problem-type <x> here, what we do know?  And what do we need to find out?  Ok, we know <a> and <b> and need to find <c> - how do we do that?  Why? 

With my younger dd, in math, I point to each number given and ask if it's a whole or a part.  Once she's answered that, I ask her what she needs to find, a whole or a part?  So if you have two parts (or a whole and a part), what do you do to find the whole (or the other part)?  With my older dd, I ask her if it's a comparison or part-whole problem, and then have her identify what's given and what she needs to find. When they are having problems, I try to go back to a point just before where they are having trouble, ask a question they can give me the answer to, and then go down the steps in order, asking each question, till they tell me they get it (or I think they've got it, if that's not at the same point ;)).  Often it turns out their real problem happened much earlier than where they got stuck (the wrong turn happened well before they hit the dead end), and so I go back further and further till I find a starting point that makes sense to them, a place where the first question is something they can easily work through.  And the fact I use the *same* questions in the same order - hopefully they can internalize the thinking process I'm walking them through.

If following directions is a problem, I explicitly have them read the directions aloud to me, and help them work through when to do what, in a way that is meant to teach them *how* to work through multi-step directions, so that they can internalize the process I'm walking them through and do it themselves.  It's always a balancing act, trying to make sure that my help is helping them to build up the skills they need to do it themselves, instead of help that turns me into a crutch, so that they can't do it without me. 

Does that help any?  I think some curricula are better than others at explicitly setting out the steps involved, so that we the parent-teachers have the steps of thinking process the curricula is trying to teach right in front of us - versus having to cobble it together by following the problems' steps ourselves, reflecting on what we do, and putting that into words.  I'd only switch if CLE didn't make sense to *you*, so that *you* were having problems putting CLE's thinking processes into words and steps you could walk your dd through.  If you get what CLE is trying to do, then you could help "translate" and make it explicit for your dd, walking her through the steps for as many problems as it takes.  If CLE doesn't offer enough scaffolding, you can provide that extra scaffolding yourself instead of switching. 

(I would try to pay attention to see how well CLE's thinking process translates into doing non-CLE problems for your dd.  Some programs are more detail-heavy, expecting kids to intuit the big picture, and others are more big picture, expecting kids to intuit the process.  My dd10 is strong conceptually, but weak with details, and so she needs the nitty-gritty how-to-get-from-a-to-b-to-c part of the thinking process made more explicit than the overall conceptual point - she can usually intuit what she needs to do conceptually, but can't always connect that to what steps in what order.  And so my flow charts for her are more detail-oriented, because that's her weakness and what she needs to have made explicit.  She generally knows the big picture of what she needs to do, but she needs help figuring out how to get there, so my questions help her connect the concept to each part of the process, but kind of assume she's got the big concept.  But other kids might need more help connecting each step of the process to the conceptual, big picture point.  And so for those kids you might need to offer a lot more explicit help on thinking through how the details of the problem connect to the big picture, so they can learn how to think through *why* <this> step versus <that> step.)

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 2

We don 't use CLE, but one thing I do with my kids, when they are having problems remembering all the steps to something, is come up with a general procedure of how to do it, so I can guide them through the thinking process using the same steps in the same order in the same words each time.  (Eventually I write it down so they can use it themselves.)  I think of the steps *I* go through to solve the problem - how I think through the problem and figure out what to do when - and put them into words.  It's kind of a flow chart.  Look at what you have: is it <this> or <that>?  If it's <this>, then what sort of problem is it?  If it's <that>, then what sort of problem is it?  Ok, now we know what sort of problem we have.  So in problem-type <x> here, what we do know?  And what do we need to find out?  Ok, we know <a> and <b> and need to find <c> - how do we do that?  Why? 

With my younger dd, in math, I point to each number given and ask if it's a whole or a part.  Once she's answered that, I ask her what she needs to find, a whole or a part?  So if you have two parts (or a whole and a part), what do you do to find the whole (or the other part)?  With my older dd, I ask her if it's a comparison or part-whole problem, and then have her identify what's given and what she needs to find. When they are having problems, I try to go back to a point just before where they are having trouble, ask a question they can give me the answer to, and then go down the steps in order, asking each question, till they tell me they get it (or I think they've got it, if that's not at the same point ;)).  Often it turns out their real problem happened much earlier than where they got stuck (the wrong turn happened well before they hit the dead end), and so I go back further and further till I find a starting point that makes sense to them, a place where the first question is something they can easily work through.  And the fact I use the *same* questions in the same order - hopefully they can internalize the thinking process I'm walking them through.

If following directions is a problem, I explicitly have them read the directions aloud to me, and help them work through when to do what, in a way that is meant to teach them *how* to work through multi-step directions, so that they can internalize the process I'm walking them through and do it themselves.  It's always a balancing act, trying to make sure that my help is helping them to build up the skills they need to do it themselves, instead of help that turns me into a crutch, so that they can't do it without me. 

Does that help any?  I think some curricula are better than others at explicitly setting out the steps involved, so that we the parent-teachers have the steps of thinking process the curricula is trying to teach right in front of us - versus having to cobble it together by following the problems' steps ourselves, reflecting on what we do, and putting that into words.  I'd only switch if CLE didn't make sense to *you*, so that *you* were having problems putting CLE's thinking processes into words and steps you could walk your dd through.  If you get what CLE is trying to do, then you could help "translate" and make it explicit for your dd, walking her through the steps for as many problems as it takes.  If CLE doesn't offer enough scaffolding, you can provide that extra scaffolding yourself instead of switching. 

(I would try to pay attention to see how well CLE's thinking process translates into doing non-CLE problems for your dd.  Some programs are more detail-heavy, expecting kids to intuit the big picture, and others are more big picture, expecting kids to intuit the process.  My dd10 is strong conceptually, but weak with details, and so she needs the nitty-gritty how-to-get-from-a-to-b-to-c part of the thinking process made more explicit than the overall conceptual point - she can usually intuit what she needs to do conceptually, but can't always connect that to what steps in what order.  And so my flow charts for her are more detail-oriented, because that's her weakness and what she needs to have made explicit.  She generally knows the big picture of what she needs to do, but she needs help figuring out how to get there, so my questions help her connect the concept to each part of the process, but kind of assume she's got the big concept.  But other kids might need more help connecting each step of the process to the conceptual, big picture point.  And so for those kids you might need to offer a lot more explicit help on thinking through how the details of the problem connect to the big picture, so they can learn how to think through *why* <this> step versus <that> step.)

Thank you so much for taking the time to help :) I do help with going through the step by step. I don't write it down though. I do let her do things on her own to see what she is getting and remembering :). I probably need to go over more with her to have her read the directions to me. 

Edited by Mom28kds

I am using Rod and Staff math with my DD, and it sounds like something that might work well for yours. It is mastery, in that each chapter focuses oin one topic, but there is also a lot a review built in, not only in daily written work but in daily oral review. I think it ius a really well made program, esp. for kids who need review continuously, but also need repetition to cement new skills. There are a lot of problems each day, though, so I don't assign them all.

• Like 1

We've used CLE math from 100-600 and I've had occasional issues like this. There are times when we've had to slow way down and mainly work on the problem areas and there are times when we've had to put it away for 1-3 weeks and just play math games and work on flash cards. This happens at least once a year with each of my children. We always end up doing some math over the summer, but that's okay. We don't need near as much review in the fall that way.

Another thing, are you checking her work every day? Math is the one subject that I check everyday and if they get problems wrong we go back over it. This helps me to know if they're making sloppy mistakes or they just don't understand the concept. My dd10 needs more hand-holding when it comes to new concepts. CLE explains it very well but she just likes to barrel through (she's a get-r-done type of gal) without completely reading the explanation.

I agree with a previous poster that once you get to a certain grade point, in any math curriculum, that it goes into hyper drive. Make sure your dc knows their math facts. Not knowing them well can be a stumbling block. I don't think a mastery program is the answer, I think you need to find out where her problem areas are and work from there.

As far as switching programs, once you start jumping around with math programs, things get a little dicey. You'll find gaps in your child's math understanding because every program is different and they teach the concepts in a different order and in different grade points, but if CLE is too much, you may want to consider another spiral program in the fall.

• Like 1

You might also consider starting a math notebook.  The kids each have one.  There are math term definitions, steps written down for specific processes, some math drills pages they can pull out, plus I have been printing out the colorful explanation pages from CTC since DS does better with color explanations.  They keep them all filed in their math notebook.  It also has the CLE math reference charts and a pouch with a ruler, compass, protractor, pencils, erasable pens, etc.  At the back is quad paper.  There are dividers for each section.

• Like 1

She may need more of a mastery program.  BJU is really good at teaching the concepts and is mastery.  It goes at a slower pace than CLE.  I like it for 1st-4th because it really makes sure they understand the concepts.  We are using CLE for 6th and I like how it is pulling everything together that was learned in elementary and giving all that spiral review.  I feel like since BJU gave my dd a good foundation in the concepts, she doesn't need as much presentation this year and CLE is a better fit.  BJU uses manipulatives to really teach the concepts so they don't have to memorize a bunch of procedures/steps.  I was very pleased with the 4th grade teaching of so many hard concepts.

In my research I also noticed a lot of people commenting on CLE Math 4 and what a hard year it was.  It's a lot of concepts thrown at a child at once without a lot of time to master them initially.  It might be better to have a mastery approach for that year since it's a big year for long division, fractions, etc.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

• Like 2

She may need more of a mastery program.  BJU is really good at teaching the concepts and is mastery.  It goes at a slower pace than CLE.  I like it for 1st-4th because it really makes sure they understand the concepts.  We are using CLE for 6th and I like how it is pulling everything together that was learned in elementary and giving all that spiral review.  I feel like since BJU gave my dd a good foundation in the concepts, she doesn't need as much presentation this year and CLE is a better fit.  BJU uses manipulatives to really teach the concepts so they don't have to memorize a bunch of procedures/steps.  I was very pleased with the 4th grade teaching of so many hard concepts.

In my research I also noticed a lot of people commenting on CLE Math 4 and what a hard year it was.  It's a lot of concepts thrown at a child at once without a lot of time to master them initially.  It might be better to have a mastery approach for that year since it's a big year for long division, fractions, etc.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

I agree about CLE 4.  I'm generally a fan of CLE especially for math strugglers.  But, anecdotally, I know of two situations where concepts from CLE 4 did not solidify until those particular two students saw those things again with a different program.  Was it because they were older, or they just needed to have it taught twice, or needed to see it a different way?  I don't know, but I think supplementing with something else (for fractions in particular) may be a good idea.  

• Like 2

Hope this helps,

Kathy

Hmmm, interesting. I didn't know this. Thank you :)

• Like 1

I agree, 3rd and 4th grades have huge amounts of new math concepts thrown at them. You may want to think about spreading the material over through the summer and
possibly into next year, to make sure she really gets those concepts down. Khan Academy is another free choice for supplementing. (careful with this site) I also agree about having her read the directions and possibly the problems out loud. My sons both have a terrible time with math simply because they don't read all the directions or only half the problem.

Edited by 8Arrows4theLord

I used Everything's Coming Up Fractions to solidify fractions for my two. I wasn't using CLE at the time (we switched in 5th), but I think needing time for certain 4th grade concepts to gel is probably common--things really step up at that level. If CLE worked in 3rd, I would probably try to find another way to present and practice those concepts that aren't sticking. If it's across the board forgetting I would consider learning issues and/or consider a program switch.

When I've switched math, I had to backtrack significantly every time. It's hard to get math to line up from program to program. So I would probably try to make it work if I could.

I think it's common in CLE LA for kids to miss instructions--there are often multiple steps/things to do in each sentence. For a while I had my son number each instruction before starting. A friend had her daughter highlight I think. CLE LA is so detailed. I'm only using it for one child. The other is doing just Fix It (IEW) for his grammar. I think I would switch in your case. There are other good grammar programs, there is no reason to stick with it when it's not working, and she needs some success.

CLE reading is tough! I think it's a good tough, but it's tough. We started with 500 level, and I found I had to help a lot. I went back when we were finished and picked out the things that require a lot of thought and/or parts I had to help with. The kids re-did the level, repeating those selected questions or portions. They are doing better the 2nd time through. I'd try to hand-hold her more with it if you can and think it's worth the time/effort for both of you.

I used Everything's Coming Up Fractions to solidify fractions for my two. I wasn't using CLE at the time (we switched in 5th), but I think needing time for certain 4th grade concepts to gel is probably common--things really step up at that level. If CLE worked in 3rd, I would probably try to find another way to present and practice those concepts that aren't sticking. If it's across the board forgetting I would consider learning issues and/or consider a program switch.

When I've switched math, I had to backtrack significantly every time. It's hard to get math to line up from program to program. So I would probably try to make it work if I could.

I think it's common in CLE LA for kids to miss instructions--there are often multiple steps/things to do in each sentence. For a while I had my son number each instruction before starting. A friend had her daughter highlight I think. CLE LA is so detailed. I'm only using it for one child. The other is doing just Fix It (IEW) for his grammar. I think I would switch in your case. There are other good grammar programs, there is no reason to stick with it when it's not working, and she needs some success.

CLE reading is tough! I think it's a good tough, but it's tough. We started with 500 level, and I found I had to help a lot. I went back when we were finished and picked out the things that require a lot of thought and/or parts I had to help with. The kids re-did the level, repeating those selected questions or portions. They are doing better the 2nd time through. I'd try to hand-hold her more with it if you can and think it's worth the time/effort for both of you.

Thank you for the breakdown. I'll probably stick with Math and try to continue to handhold because like you said, There will be holes and I do know CLE is a good Math program. It works just fine for my other child. I dropped Reading this week because she needs some success and to just enjoy Reading and another workbook was hard. I'll probably change up LA as I might be able to find something that isn't so much. I am having her tested to see if there are problems that I'm not aware of. Thanks for taking time to write this :)

Edited by Mom28kds
  • Like 1