Menu

Robots in class

Granny_Weatherwax

Life is interesting.

I am teaching three sections of the same class this term. Two of those sections have students telecommuting from a satellite campus. We are using robots for them to participate in class and engage with the other students.

This is what the bot looks like.

It's been a hoot the last two days. I'm seriously going to have some fun with these things.

• Like 9

How do they interact - do they speak?

Yes, it's exactly like skyping. It's in realtime with no lag.

The student has control from the remote location. The student can raise, lower, and tilt the facescreen, and move the robot around the room. 

I have to carry it from it's parking dock to the classroom and back but other than that the student has complete control.

• Like 1

What is it that it needs to do to move around the classroom? I mean, why does it need to move places?

Is it really like Skype - I find skype really annoying to interact with.

I assume it needs to move if the teacher says things such as, "okay, form groups of three people to work on the next project"

Also with the camera the robot student can look towards who ever is talking.

• Like 2

That is a much cooler version of a very similar looking "robot" that DH and DS built 2 years ago. They used the body of a rechargeable RC car for the base, some stuff from Home Depot for the body and an extra mini tablet courtesy of DH's company (year-end gift to employees). It was really fun that we could RC it to all over the house and we installed a smart app for our lights so we could control our lights with the robot too. We could then RC it back to the power outlet and one of us would plug it in without having to carry it around.

And yes, the tablet screen allowed Skyping but no tilting to who ever is talking. That latter turning around to speaker part is so cool!

I love how technology is being used in classrooms but am also nostalgic about the simpler days.

• Like 2

That is more fun than satellite classes where one only has video and audio of the instructor and audio of everyone else.

We had a family sue the local school district for one a few years ago. They were turned down,as they were on homebound for temporary medical rather than permanent sn.

This is what the bot looks like.

Looks similar to what we saw on Black Friday as a demo.

This 17 January 2017 BBC article has a photo of a similar robot.

"The next best thing to teleportation

Living in one country and working in another will soon be common, thanks to remote-control robots. Future Now spoke with economist Richard Baldwin about how this trend could change the world." http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170113-the-next-best-thing-to-teleportation

With all the college cutbacks and tuition hikes - who pays for stuff like this ?   

That answer is above my pay grade.

As I spent the week learning how to use the Bot. an announcement was made that the school is closing another dept, laying off FT faculty, not filling vacant positions, and consolidating other positions. Our local schools, town, and county are shrinking and aging and there is no new industry to replace what has been lost and it has been difficult to find new programs to entice students to enroll.

From my perspective, I'm going to enjoy the Bot, have a great time with the students using it, and do the best I can to make sure the in-class students engage with the Bot as much as possible. This is a test class so I have an incentive to make it work.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After 2.5 weeks with the robots, we're still in the learning phase.

We've had issues with one side or the other not being able to hear. One day there was a glitch and the student sounded like Alvin the Chipmunk.

One instructor (not me) forgot to disconnect the program so the next student to log in (mine) was already on screen and connected when I went to pick up the bot. I looked at the screen and there the student was, smiling and laughing; the student had logged in 15 mins before class. The bot is stored in an area where faculty and staff engage in private conversation so this student was getting an earful. A notice went out immediately with proper disconnect guidelines.

There are multiple bots on campus and, evidently, they are a drain on internet bandwidth. We have been instructed to change the settings so that each bot uses less bandwidth. Now the students are complaining that it's difficult to see the whiteboard, etc.

I am finding that everything has to be done well in advance of class as everything has to uploaded so the distance learning students can have access to resources, handouts, homework assignments, etc before logging in. There is no lee way for procrastination or last minute changes.

• Like 1

With all the college cutbacks and tuition hikes - who pays for stuff like this ?   

It's probably part of the cutbacks. They are now offering one less course at the satellite campus, a class that only had two students. If it's a required course for a major, it saves them cutting that program and losing those students (and their tuition.) Telepresence robots are at most a few thousand dollars, and it was possibly covered by a grant.

The first big blooper occurred yesterday. Whoever used the Bot last (not me) didn't put it into the dock properly and it was dead. We were scrambling to get Skype connections set up so the student could participate in at least the lecture. In order for the student to see the white board we had to have almost all of the lights turned off. Moving the camera around was a bit of a pain. We decided to try facetiming if this happens again.

We also found that due to the inherent limitations the robot isn't as effective as a class tool as we had hoped. It has to be carried if any degree of speed is needed.