Menu

Homemade carpet cleaning solution?

I would use about a gallon of hot water, 1/4 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup vinegar and about a tablespoon of Joy dish detergent, the trick is you shake up the mixture and only use the sudsie part on your carpet...it's GREAT for stains...I would just go around to spot clean and shake my tupperware, the bubbles come up and you use the bubbles with a washcloth, it's a miracle worker on stains.

Tara

I use Tide Laundry Detergent in mine all the time. I have a light colored off-white/beige blended low shag, so I actually use Tide and a bit of bleach on my carpet, because--well, kids and light carpet!:001_huh:

I use laundry detergent as well. I then rinse with vinegar water, because vinegar cuts the soap, and if there's soap left in your carpet, it will attract dirt.

I would use about a gallon of hot water, 1/4 cup ammonia, 1/2 cup vinegar and about a tablespoon of Joy dish detergent, the trick is you shake up the mixture and only use the sudsie part on your carpet...it's GREAT for stains...I would just go around to spot clean and shake my tupperware, the bubbles come up and you use the bubbles with a washcloth, it's a miracle worker on stains.

Tara

Oh, this stuff is miraculous!

I just used it on a spot of set-in several-day-old dog bile/puke, and it worked like a charm.

I'm not normally that much of a scum-bucket (taking that long to get it out of the carpet), but the dog has been SICK (two separate vet visits), and I had to get to the grocery to buy some ammonia.

Wow. Who knew something so simple could work so well.

Then again, who knew a dog would willingly take a Sulpha pill? (like I said, poor dog is SICK).

asta