Menu

As aChristian, how do you treat games such as Rock Band and Guitar Hero?

I'm a Christian and have no problem with them whatsoever. I suppose it depends on what your particular beliefs are as to what you might or might not find objectionable.

I am not sure this is a Christian issue exclusively. I would think any good parent would be concerned about what is going into their child's brain. As a parent (who happens to be a Christian) I have decided at this point that video games would not contribute positively to our family ;)

Edited by beansprouts
added emphasis to "our" indicating a personal choice and not a judgement of others ;-)

I had never heard of it before my ds played it at a Christian friend's house. He told me it was fun and a really cool idea, but that there were a lot of inappropriate songs and that he was surprised the friends allowed it. If you tend to be more conservative, you might agree with him.

I am not sure this is a Christian issue exclusively. I would think any good parent would be concerned about what is going into their child's brain. As a parent (who happens to be a Christian) I have decided at this point that video games would not contribute positively to our family ;)

:iagree:totally. No video games here. There are too many other wonderful things to do in or out of the house.

I'm a Christian and have no problem with them whatsoever. I suppose it depends on what your particular beliefs are as to what you might or might not find objectionable.

Ria

:iagree:

I have to admit I'm having a blast with Rock Band and my 13yo dd is a surprisingly good drummer. My husband loves it and we are having a lot of good family times even though I agree, some of the songs (lyrics) make me cringe. I guess I never knew the lyrics to songs I thought I knew. :001_huh: But overall in the family setting we're using it in, the game stays.

:iagree:I actually could not agree with this more! Well said!

I have really enjoyed reading everyones responses.

That has been my major concerns. It amazes me that Guitar Hero is played in youth group.

I wish that Guitar Praise was able to be used on the regular game systems....

but I know that is very costly to the manufacturer of the game.

Kelley

ARe there websites that list the appropriate songs:) and the inappropriate songs?:001_huh:

What about the graphic images?

Thanks!

Kelley

I'd say I go both ways with this. As an ex-80's rocker chick married to a still loves rock & rock use to be long haired but now shaves his head guitar, bass & drum playing man- I'd say its fun. My ds, a drummer, 13 LOVES it. There is a steady stream of teenage boys at my house playing it.

However, thought #1, some of the rocker girls, are rocker. Tight clothing, half cut shirts, unconservative hair/make up. #2) I guess it all depends on if you mind your 13 ds singing, "shes my cherry pie" along with aerosmith, ac/dc & metallica songs from the 80s. The words to the songs took on a whole new meaning when i heard my kids sing them.

Final thought- we let them play. We let them invite their friends who parents are aware that we let them play. Just this week I was told by my 18 yr old her friends like coming over & my 13 ds said its cool to be the host house after his friend said he wishes his house could be open like ours.

I know you didnt' ask but goal complete on this end- become the teenage hang out house.- Guitar Hero & Rock band approved (and no I don't approve everything to be the hang out house)

Edited by wagnfun

Honestly? Yes, we have it and I play it. And I am a rockin' good drummer, I might add! :D I wish the content were different, and we have had discussions with our youngest concerning the inappropriateness (is that a word?) of some of the lyrics. However, this is something we do enjoy doing as a family. I wish they had different genres of music you could order. Why not 'rock' to some of those 80's songs we are always discussing here?

Hey, Mickey, you're so fine

You're so fine you blow my mind...Hey Mickey...Hey Mickey...

AHH yes, good times!

Honestly? Yes, we have it and I play it. And I am a rockin' good drummer, I might add! :D I wish the content were different, and we have had discussions with our youngest concerning the inappropriateness (is that a word?) of some of the lyrics. However, this is something we do enjoy doing as a family. I wish they had different genres of music you could order. Why not 'rock' to some of those 80's songs we are always discussing here?

Hey, Mickey, you're so fine

You're so fine you blow my mind...Hey Mickey...Hey Mickey...

AHH yes, good times!

I bet you will be able to get different sets of songs before long. The games are so popular I can't imagine this not going in different directions.

Our personal decision for our own family is to not have those types of games in our home. With the inappropriate song lyrics and suggestive clothing, my two sons have enough to deal with in this world without my welcoming it into the home. But I think there are good people who feel okay with it, and they will make the best decision for their own families. I did not know about the Christian version, so I will look into that.

You can try these websites, which I have found helpful:

1. http://www.almenconi.com

2. http://www.guide2games.org

We are a Christian family.

I've decided that moderate to heavy censoring of music and media is counter to the style of parenting I feel called to use.

I don't believe that music is a gateway. In fact, I believe that over restriction (I don't *necessarily* think that saying no to Guitar Hero = over restriction) carries much more risk than allowing current, trendy, popular games and play - with knowledge, discussion, and very aware, conscious parenting.

My kids enjoy Guitar Hero, oldies, classic rock, current rock, country, some rap, some hip hop, have a peripheral awareness of classical, Praise, contemporary Christian, metal......

And we listen together, talking about it all.

I have really enjoyed reading everyones responses.

That has been my major concerns. It amazes me that Guitar Hero is played in youth group.

I wish that Guitar Praise was able to be used on the regular game systems....

but I know that is very costly to the manufacturer of the game.

Kelley

This was just an issue at our church. We built a new youth center, and they announced to the congregation that they would like several XBoxes and several copies of Rock Band. I wrote a letter to the church asking them to consider the content - I looked at the track listing and felt strongly that it should NOT be played at church.

My email ended up going into the pastor's spam folder, but when I emailed a follow-up question about what the decision was, he let me know that they had reviewed the content and decided it was inappropriate. Phew! That was going to be a deal breaker for me with this church, I have to say.

I've posted before on my issues/beliefs with stuff like this in regards to my kids. I don't let them listen to that kind of music (even though I love it), so I would not let them play the game. Of course, they are only 8 and 7 and 1, so it's not really an issue at this point anyway. :D