Menu

So discouraged....can't seem to find a curriculum that I like

UGH! HELP! 4 years into this homeschooling thing and I can't seem to find a curriculum that I just love. I do love SOTW, but am having trouble finding the supplemental curriculum like math, english, phonics, spelling, and science (we got Apologia this year and I think it's just too advanced for my 2nd and 3rd graders). We used Christian Liberty Press for a few years and just didn't ever fall in love with it. This year we are using all Rod and Staff. Again, just not loving it. I want a curriculum that I LOVE to teach. I am about ready to give up homeschooling, but know I would regret it if I did....so PLEASE give me some ideas, I'm already starting to do some research for next school year.....so ANY suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by MyBlueLobsters

I'm using the FLL 2 and 3 this year and I do love it. I love that it is scripted, easy to use, relatively short, but intense lessons. I'm not just saying this because it's SWB's board, I really do love it. We've just started up with WWE and love it too.

We're also using Sequential Spelling and it's a big hit with the kids. They love doing our spelling tests every day and I'm amazed at their capabilites. We're also using Wordly Wise, but it's kind of a beating. It's the first thing to get dropped.

For science, we're in the Physical science year, which is my least favorite. I got a box from Education Exploration with a CD, workbook, and 'experiments' to do. It's easy for me and a good jumping off point for the kids. Not terribly in depth, but we add to it with other books and just observation and discussion.

I use Singapore and have from the beginning for math. This year I got the HIG and it is GREAT. There's so many teaching ideas and the mental math section is fabulous. When we're in a hurry though we can get through the workbook and I don't feel like I've slacked off too much. Their math skills are progressing very well.

HTH!

As odd as this sounds I just love Abeka phonics, language, and Spelling. Their History and Science at the 1-3rd grade levels are too light for my liking. For math I like Abeka and MUS. You cant beat the ease of teaching MUS though. It all depends on you and your kids though. Do you prefer a mastery approach or a spiral approach?

Science you can get textbooks for like 12.00 off ebay. I let my son read those as he wishes, then we use Apologia science together. Some things are too hard for him but I adjust the assignments accordingly. He's retaining so much more from Apologia then he is from the Harcourt textbook. My son is a science buff though. He asked for more science so thats why I have him in 2 books. Next year we are going to look into RS4K. I've heard it's a really nice program too.

For History I like SOTW, with the activity books that go along with them. I use them a bit... I really like Sonlight or Winter Promise for History. We are currently using WP. Next year if I cant find WP to buy used I'll buy Sonlight because WP shipping time is too long for me to wait for again. I like to start the next year of history as soon as I finish the current year we are working on. Last time it took like 3 months for my order to get here. Yes it's awesome... but the wait was just too much for me to tolerate.

I hope this helps you a bit. I really havent found a curricula that I just LOVE. I think I need a mish mash of different things. I do know I love literature based history. So Sonlight and WP work for me. I buy a package and I dont have to worry about getting books from my library. It saves me time, plus my library is really teeny and they never have the books I need.

For science this yr, I'm using NOEO, & I LOVE it so far. It's Charlotte-Mason-ish, so it's written for my side of the brain, lol, & although it's pretty pricey, I think you could just get the teacher guide & then piece-meal it from the library. I spent several mos last yr previewing it that way, but the books that were avail fr my library were SO good (& only avail at other branches) that I knew I'd want to own them at some pt. And NOEO's prices are overall better than Amazon's, even used.

For spelling, I really like the idea of Avko, but I tried it w/ ds when he was in 1st g, & it got to be too much. Apparently, it's meant for 3rd g & up, so I'm going to try it again this yr. W/ new baby, we're kind-of adding subjects slowly, so I'm thinking of trying spelling around Christmas or so.

For lit, I'm kind-of doing a Sonlight, FIAR, SOTW combo. We're doing some of the Bible studies from SL, & I use their IG to coordinate material w/ SOTW. For ex, when we did the ch's on the Dutch recently in SOTW 3, we read picture books, geography, & novels about Holland, set in Holland, etc. Ds read the Wheel on the School, I read Hans Brinker aloud, we studied storks & dikes, etc. It's the most fun I've had w/ SOTW so far.

Maybe you could visit some hs friends & see what they're doing or go to a hs store & talk to somebody? I find that seeing & touching help me to decide.

And...if you're happy w/ SOTW, don't give up hs'ing just because the rest of it hasn't clicked! Gear down for a while, & just do hist. Work on spelling, lit, grammar w/in that context. And go to the library lots. Fill in w/ interesting books about space or animals. Reading covers a lot more bases than we realize, I think.

One thing that helped me was looking backward at my ds' education. Where do I want him to be once he graduates from high school? Yes, it is some long term thinking, but once I worked backward from there I found the answer.

I remember in 2nd and 3rd it seemed like we were laying the foundation, I wondered what I was doing on some days. :001_huh:

We started 5th grade this year and I can finally see where those foundations have been important.

I'd also suggest you read more about the different methodologies of homeschooling. I wish I had done that after each year of homeschooling. That might help you pinpoint what you want to be your focus.

hth

Now our household is doing 2nd and 7th and I am finally settled in to and happy with our studies. Do you have your 7 and 6 year old in the same grades?

I know me, I need my kids to work independently on some subjects.

I have found that Christian Light Education helps to foster that ability.

Now I will tell you my kids like the workbook approach as far as we do it.

10 "light units" per subject is a school year.

We use their Language Arts which is spelling, handwriting and grammar all in one. For 2nd we also use their reading, math and science. With supervision, my 8 year old works pretty independently on all her CLE subjects. For reading though, she sits in my lap and reads out loud and then we do her workbook pages together and I do the writing for her.

On alternate days we use and love Apologia Elementary Swimming Creatures and are making a lapbook with it. If I don't get to it, I don't sweat it. It is something we enjoy together.

I do not begin writing until 3rd and will use IEW with her next year, the theme Based lesson book Fables, Myths and FairyTales.

We use and love Mystery of History for history. From 5th and up we add in Truthquest readings to go along with it.

For science this yr, I'm using NOEO, & I LOVE it so far. It's Charlotte-Mason-ish, so it's written for my side of the brain, lol, & although it's pretty pricey, I think you could just get the teacher guide & then piece-meal it from the library. I spent several mos last yr previewing it that way, but the books that were avail fr my library were SO good (& only avail at other branches) that I knew I'd want to own them at some pt. And NOEO's prices are overall better than Amazon's, even used.

Aubrey (or anyone), what is NOEO ? I'd like to look that up.

Aubrey (or anyone), what is NOEO ? I'd like to look that up.

http://www.noeoscience.com/

I think noeo is latin or greek for something. Yep...I just can't remember. Knowing, or...something. I thought it was an acronym when I first encountered it.

They do lower & upper elem sc (maybe more, I don't remember). If you order the kit, you get the IG, the books, & some experiments. We're doing chem, & there are books on the nature & hist of certain elements, bios on chemists, & experiments that EVEN. I. CAN. DO.

So far, it's teaching the logic of the scientific method along w/ chemical reactions & properties. I made a pie last night w/ Sprite, & when I added the sugar, it started fizzing & popping, & I shouted, "Hey, kids, look! It's a chemical reaction!" They grabbed a couple of step stools & started crowding around me. :glare: But the neat thing is...*I* didn't know what a chem reaction was a few weeks ago!

We are loving Christian Kids Explore Biology (they have other science subjects as well). It is a conversational style program with ideas for projects and other resources. I appreciate that we can do as little or as much as we want to do, especially for various ages.

I would also recommend First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease .

We haven't started spelling yet, but I am planning on using Sequential Spelling.

I really like RightStart math. It seems to be a perfect fit for my boys!

Well, I was gonna suggest R&S for grammar, but never mind. :D

Have you tried Singapore for math? It has worked really well for two of my kids.

I also heard this rumor ;) that Classical Academic Press will begin publishing a grammar/ logic stage science curriculum this Spring. (They are aiming for April.) The first volume will cover the phylum Animalia and be integrated with Latin, have corresponding literature suggestions, suggestions for further reading, and activities, projects, and experiments for various age levels and abilities (roughly 1st-5th). There will also be color photos and illustrations (a-la DK's Eyewitness books)... at least that's the plan. *how's that for a shameless plug? :001_smile:* I'll post on the curriculum board when there is more info available on the website. I don't have release dates yet for book 2 (Plantae), and we are discussing books 3-5 (earth science, chemistry/ physics, human anatomy/ intro. to microbiology) right now.

Early on, I changed curricula quite a bit. Some of it was just needing to find the right fit for us (or for each student... each of my kids is in a different math curricula, for example), but some of it was our having to work through the fact that sometimes there are certain areas of schooling that we just don't find fun (I'm not crazy about grammar although my kids like it well enough). Usually it was my lack of enthusiasm that was leaking through, not a fault of the curriculum. I just needed to work through it (or around it... like getting a computer program to drill math facts because drilling math facts drives me insane).

I hope that you find what works for you and your kids.

Edited by Tutor

There have been various curriculum that have suited DS better than others, but I wouldn't say anything has been loved, or continued for the long haul.

We are currently reading the SOTW series, just finished ancients and started middle ages. We're liking SOTW, I wouldn't say love, though.

I've never found a math program, writing program, or grammar that was great for us. I've done way too much skipping around because of this, and now wish I would have just stuck with something, even if it wasn't "loved".

Science - I've tried a bunch of curriculum, but finally gave up and started just using a textbook. DS prefers it this way.

Sorry, I sound so negative, didn't mean to come across that way! Just want to let you know that you are not alone in not really "loving" any particular curriculum.

MIchelle T

Great post, Elegantlion!

I would second looking at methods again and getting a book or two on homeschooling. Maybe you'll find some ideas. You can also browse homeschoolreviews.com and see what others are saying about various curricula -- and here, of course ;)

If you become interested in the Charlotte Mason approach, there are a few of us here (including I) that can help you. For grammar Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl/Margot Davidson is a gentle course (probably the opposite of Rod & Staff, from what I see). For writing, there's Wordsmith Apprentice, Story Starters and as others have mentioned, Writing With Ease.

You can do narrations, copywork and dictations if you like.

Taking nature walks has breathed new life into some veteran homeschooling families I know. Shorter lessons could also be an option.

Just reading lots of living books and discussing them, so simple, has proven invaluable for many.

Go online and check out samples of each curricula before you buy. E.g., Modern Curriculum Press (MCP Math) has samples so you can see before you buy. By now you probably have a good idea of what doesn't work. You can avoid those that use a similar approach to what you were using.

:grouphug:

UGH! HELP! 4 years into this homeschooling thing and I can't seem to find a curriculum that I just love. I do love SOTW, but am having trouble finding the supplemental curriculum like math, english, phonics, spelling, and science (we got Apologia this year and I think it's just too advanced for my 2nd and 3rd graders). We used Christian Liberty Press for a few years and just didn't ever fall in love with it. This year we are using all Rod and Staff. Again, just not loving it. I want a curriculum that I LOVE to teach. I am about ready to give up homeschooling, but know I would regret it if I did....so PLEASE give me some ideas, I'm already starting to do some research for next school year.....so ANY suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Personally, I would not like to do one curriculum company for all subjects. I would hate that, and so would my son. Been there. Done that. I now like to pick and choose from different sources.

For a math that is fun, and not at all teacher-intensive, you might want to look at Math U See. Many use it and love it very much. Singapore is good too. I personally like Bob Jones, but I have the Homesat video teacher teaching for me...I don't know that I would like teaching it myself.

For phonics my son really enjoyed Explode the Code books and Modern Curriculum Press Plaid Phonics workbooks.

For spelling, we now really like Sequential Spelling and I have no plans to change that, but it might be a bit much for your 2nd grader. In 1st-4th grades we did not do a formal spelling program. Instead we did lots of copy work. My son would copy the same paragraph Mon-Thur and then on Friday I would dictate it to him verbally and he would have to write it from memory attempting to get all punctuation and spelling correct. This worked beautifully as not only our handwriting, but our spelling as well. He learned to spell quite well using such an easy method.

Science. You might want to look at some of the Sonlight Science programs. I also recommend NOEO. At those ages you'll want something hands-on and interesting. I wouldn't push science as an academic at those grades, but as more of exposure and fun.

English. I would seriously look into Bob Jones. The child has a workbook, instead of a hardbound book like R&S. The pages are colorful. The TM tells you what to teach, etc., and if you keep with it through high school your child will have a very solid foundation for college. Plus, BJU teaches writing also. Every other chapter is a writing chapter where your child is painlessly walked through a writing assignment each day. I used R&S for a while and I admit it is very good, I just happen to like BJU better.

Whatever you do, don't give up. ;) I have been schooling for 12 years and it truly does take time to find your 'nitch'. Each of your children will be different too, so you may find that what works great for one, does not for the other. That is the beauty of home schooling...you can tailor your curriculum choices to your children's learning style. Another reason why a one curriculum for all subjects approach does not usually work well.

Can you go to a homeschooling conference and check out some different curricula first-hand? I've found it to be helpful (although not essential), because sometimes I hear a thing recommended and think, "Oh, that sounds great", but when I actually see it, I know it just won't work for us.

I also like to pick and choose from different curricula. I don't think I've ever found a single company whose curricula I loved in every subject. More likely that I choose spelling from one company, math from another, and science from a third. Even my kids use different things - for example I have 2 kids using My Catholic Speller and one using SpellWell. All four of them use different math programs. Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error. Best wishes! :)

Well, everybody loves something different and some hate what others love. When my dc were younger, we loved:

Learning Language Arts Through Literature old editions with Learning Grammar Through Writing (and we didn't supplement until 4th-6th grades using Winston Grammar doing three sentences twice a week)

For Science and History I don't think you can beat the Weaver unit study. Plus they had great projects you could use for Art and Music. And I LOVE that they do these subjects every-other day, not every day.

My favorite grade school math was (I think) Addison-Wesley sold through Hewitt Homeschooling. They were colorful, fun and not too much.

We loved A World of Adventure unit study in 6th grade. It was a fun, different thing to do and revived our interest in learning and homeschool.

And at night we always had one good Read-Aloud book going before bedtime (instead of TV), but first we would read two or three poems aloud.

This was pretty much all we did for school K-6th and 7th-ish. I believe in fun and stree-free education. By 8th we were transitioning to great ready for high school work.

Using these, my oldest has now graduated from college (BA in Computer Science) and works as a programmer at a place he LOVEs, gets good pay and better benefits. Middle dd is in her freshman year at Hillsdale College and youngest is in 11th grade. So, it worked for us!

Ahhh, I love looking back on our early homeschool days. They were.....fun. Not Classical, but more CM and Ruth Beechick combined. Hope you can find what makes your homeschool learning fun.

For a seven year old you could try Junior English I, from Galore Park. If you go to their site, you can see the first chapter on line. You may find it light on grammar, but I think it an interesting and manageable English programme. For maths, we love Singapore for elementary.

Best wishes

Laura

Edited by Laura in China

May I make a radical suggestion? Forget the idea of curriculum altogether! Just stop looking for a "program" that you have to follow, and simply start learning together.

I believe the only curriculum I used during early elementary was first Miquon then Singapore math. We just read all the time, out loud and independently. We went on lots of outings and looked at things with magnifying glasses and microscopes. My kids did crafts of their own creation, built with legos and blocks. We also played lots of games like Rummy Roots and Mad Libs and did sentence puzzles from Doring-Kindersly which had parts of speech color coded so you could make nonsense sentences which were nevertheless grammatically correct. We'd diagram our Mad Libs sentences sometimes.

I've always had on my shelves reference materials for science and history and grammar which get pulled out when needed. When my kids were about 9 I got a little more formal using the WTM as my guide and have yet to use a writing or history curriculum. This year is the first time I've bought literature curricula but it was in response to specific interests. (Literary lessons from Lord of the Rings for the 8th grader, Movies as Literature for my senior.) My kids take outside science classes in high school, and are not suffering at all from our unstructured approach -- if anything they are bored quite often because they had already learned much of the content on their own.

I'll bet you can do it too, just have a little faith in yourself. Follow your interests, grab all kinds of books and videos on a specific topic the next time you are at the library and see where it takes you and your kids.

elegantlion has it down. I did the same thing, when I brought oldest home in 1st grade, I thought about my end academic goals (I thought about other goals, but we are considering curriculum right now). In the end I want my children to have options. I don't know if my ds or dd will be an engineer, a plumbler , a vet , or an artist. I want them prepared to pursue what they want. I don't want them to find doors shut to them because I didn't help them reach a certain point when it was me who took on education as a responsibility. So, I considered where my ds would have to be to get into a demanding program at the University level. Then I work backwards. TWTM provides a perfect framework for getting through these points.

Then you have to recognize, you have specific talents that make certain subject just easier. I majored in Chemistry. I love doing physics and chemistry experiments. Math is easy for me to teach. As a result, I can look at curriculum samples and know fairly quickly if it will fit our homeschool. Writing and reading are not natural for me to teach. As a result they don't naturally pop out as fun and I don't have an internal toolbox of activities that make these subjects fun. I do my best to research curriculum and find things that first go over all the skills necessary and second hopefully do it in an interesting manner. Unless something is absolutely wrong (child isn't learning, I can't figure it out), then we stick with it for the year. I don't have a lot of money to get new curriculum mid year. During the year I try to keep up with what my IRL friends are using and their success. We might get together and look over eachother's stuff and give eachother tips for making a particular curriculum work well (you can also get tips here). Then, I will assess factors for making a change.

I don't know everyone who loves everything they use in every subject. Years ago I used Abeka for grammar with my oldest. I hated it, but it sure got the job done. We stuck with it and ds mastered what he needed to learn. Since that time Growing with Grammar was published. I still don't love grammar, but this program is easy for dd and I to use and I feel she is mastering the subject. Another subject I dislike is spelling. I didn't have to teach oldest ds spelling. I dropped it after 1 grade because every word he sees he spells perfectly. So, I didn't waste time on it for him. Dd is another story. She is a strong reader, but I think she could spell her own name wrong. She was struggling and I was frustrated. I didn't teach spelling at all last year. Now, we are doing Megawords and it's working. I didn't give up and make that the reason I sent her to school.

There are other reasons dd may go to ps sooner than I wish, but it won't be because I don't like the curriculum I chose. 30 years ago, pioneers in the modern hs movement didn't have all these choices and yet they managed to produce some highly talented students.

Bless your heart! I have been in your shoes every year! This year I changed to these programs, and can say with absolute certainty that I LOVE my choices!! Finally. My older 15dd is using a combination of Sonlight and Learning Adventures (we needed to add something fun to SL) and many other things like Apologia and Cambridge Latin. My younger dd's ages 9 and almost 11 are using Heart of Dakota (Bigger...). I cannot praise it enough! No prep for me, variety and fun each day, a real blessing!! They also use Rod and Staff for grammar (we do it orally together), for math younger is using MUS and older is using Teaching Textbooks grade 5. We also use the Calvert art videos weekly and Francais Facile. Please look the HOD websight over...it is wonderful. Blessings and peace~

Ginger