Menu

S/O Math Sequence - How do others do it?

In another thread where the OP was asking about the upper level Math sequence one person commented:

There is no intrinsic logic behind either sequence. Elsewhere in the world, there is no compartmentalization into "algebra" and "geometry" - it's all math and taught as an organic subject.

I've seen this said before. Can someone tell me more about this? My kids aren't in high school yet (though I browse this area sometimes) but I'm highly influenced by Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding. The author, Nebel, makes great arguments that the current distinctions in science education (I.e. separating instruction in biology, chemistry, physics, sometimes earth science) is detrimental to students and his threads are efforts to correct that. I've often though that is an issue in Math as well, but I have no idea what the rest of the world does (I'm in the US) and would love to see some examples of integrated Math curricula or read some about how it works.

Any thoughts or links to articles or resources?

Common core standards actually encourage integrated math and many public schools are now adopting it. It is the norm pretty much everywhere except the US. Rather than dividing math into discrete year-long units focusing on specific topics ("algebra" encompassing one set of topics, "geometry" another set) all these topics are lumped together as math and presented in a sequence that makes cumulative sense.

• Like 1

Most Elementary math texts integrates a bunch of topics.

One does not have not one book for telling time, another for measurements, and a third for time tables.

So it is in secundary level (grade 7-12).

One has Math 7,8,9 etc.

And algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistic etc. are covered.

The easier concepts in the lower grades, the harder in the higher grades.

Most series have semesterbooks so student don't have to carry to much weight.

• Like 1

Common core standards actually encourage integrated math and many public schools are now adopting it. It is the norm pretty much everywhere except the US. Rather than dividing math into discrete year-long units focusing on specific topics ("algebra" encompassing one set of topics, "geometry" another set) all these topics are lumped together as math and presented in a sequence that makes cumulative sense.

Common core allows either the traditional sequence or a more integrated sequence - either way other topics such as Probability and Statistics need to be integrated through the school years as well as Algebra, Geometry and Trig.

A few local school districts here "created" their own integrated material but it is a mess and has no rhyme or reason for the sequencing. Maybe the European countries have solved this problem but for what I have seen so far,  I would rather stick with a more traditional sequence. 

We will never have national standards in the USA so moving from one state to another during the school years will always be an issue.

• Like 2

The problem you might run into is finding the materials you are looking for.  I started out with the idea to do this, but that really never happened because there aren't a lot of options that are good for someone who isn't strong in math to begin with.  If you happen to be strong in math there still aren't tons of options unless you basically just create your own thing. 

Who knows, maybe I'll be at that point by the time my 11 year old gets there. 

• Like 1

In my home country (Germany), geometry topics are covered every year, along with "algebra" topics. Here is an overview over the year-by-year topics to be covered in my home state (in German, but there are sample problems)

http://www.schule.sachsen.de/lpdb/web/downloads/1530_lp_gy_mathematik_2013.pdf?v2

That was a really neat example. Thanks.

Most Elementary math texts integrates a bunch of topics.

One does not have not one book for telling time, another for measurements, and a third for time tables.

So it is in secundary level (grade 7-12).

One has Math 7,8,9 etc.

And algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistic etc. are covered.

The easier concepts in the lower grades, the harder in the higher grades.

Most series have semesterbooks so student don't have to carry to much weight.

I see. The elementary math makes perfect sense. I don't know why that didn't occur to me.

Both Singapore Math (including Discovering/Dimensions Maths) and Saxon Math are examples of integrated maths curricula covering elementary through high school topics.

I didn't realize this, I've been using some vintage math books. (Horace Grant in kindergarten. Ray's in first and second. Heading into Strayer-Upton for third.) My kids are still in elementary years and I wanted "get it done" style arithmetic and was completely overwhelmed with Math decision making when I started. I remember feeling like every choice was life or death to their mathematical future. Despite that I can still see from the other example what thing I have that are integrated without realizing it.

A few local school districts here "created" their own integrated material but it is a mess and has no rhyme or reason for the sequencing. Maybe the European countries have solved this problem but for what I have seen so far, I would rather stick with a more traditional sequence.

So, there really isn't anything here then. What about English speaking countries abroad. How do Canadians or Australians do it?

So, there really isn't anything here then. What about English speaking countries abroad. How do Canadians or Australians do it?

We have integrated math in Canada (until Calculus, anyway) but as far as I know there aren't many great Canadian homeschooling curricula for math.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The same way as Regentrude said, here in Oz.

I imagine, when dd gets to that age, I'll get a book for each topic and we'll switch from one to another when we hit a wall. 

DW tried to explain the Soviet math system to me (the Russians are well known for their rigorous math). It went something like: algebra from 5th (our 6th) through 9th (our 10th); regular geometry from 6th (our 7th) through 9th (10th); stereometry and calculus in 10th (11th). That was their last year - they stared one year later and finished one earlier.

Here in australia it is all integrated but there really are no homeschooling options.
I am currently debating between using US books with a sequence that does not translate into our system at all or using australian highschool textbooks.
So far all I know is that we are using AoPS prealgebra this coming year (jan-dec) however she is in grade 5 this year so I really have 2 years to consider my options before she starts "highschool" which is grades 7-12

• Like 1

Here in australia it is all integrated but there really are no homeschooling options.

I am currently debating between using US books with a sequence that does not translate into our system at all or using australian highschool textbooks.

So far all I know is that we are using AoPS prealgebra this coming year (jan-dec) however she is in grade 5 this year so I really have 2 years to consider my options before she starts "highschool" which is grades 7-12

Does this mean a lack of solution guides, test packets, teacher editions, etc for the australian highschool textbooks?

A far number of folks here have used just the american math textbooks with above supplements to create their courses.

You could probably find scope and sequence syllabi via "google".

Looks like they use different tracks by ability:

https://www.haesemathematics.com.au/australian-curriculum

Edited by MarkT