Menu

Vegetable peeler recommendations?

school17777

My favorite vegetable peeler, a Cutco, must have accidentally got tossed in the trash. It has been missing for about a month now and I have looked everywhere for it. I am guessing that it got tossed with the peelings. I have several other peelers, a Pampered Chef one, a no name one, and a Swing Away one that was inexpensive and I like their can opener, so I thought it would a peeler, but I miss my Cutco one. I use it almost every day. I am planning on using my Christmas money to go ahead and order a new one. I thought I'd check with you guys to see if you recommend one that is better than the Cutco one. Anyone have a Cutco peeler, but prefer a different brand?

I see the Oxo Good Grips Pro Peeler gets a lot of recommendations. It looks similar to the Cutco one, and is much cheaper. I am tempted to order that one instead.

I like the OXO Good Grips so much that I have two! I couldn't pass up buying the second one when I saw it at the thrift store. It has come in very handy and both have lasted a long time. I bought my original one when I worked at a department store home department in college--many moons ago!

What do you like about the Cutco one over the Oxo?

To me, the Cutco one peels easier. The peeler just glides and is effortless. My wrist (actually whole arm) is weak, so I can tell the Oxo one takes more effort.

Eta: The Oxo one seems a bit wider too, which is harder for my hand to grasp (because it is weak).

I hate to spend the money on this since we have other things more pressing, but I use it every day.

Edited by school17777

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to post an update since holiday cooking is coming up soon and lots of opportunities to use a peeler.

I ended up buying myself another Cutco peeler because I didn’t think the others worked as well. Now that I have several to compare to, the Cutco peeler is definitely easier for me to use.

I ended up buying a Swing Away peeler, a new Pampered Chef one (updated from my old one), and an Oxo one. So, I have a bunch of peelers in my drawer so I can have lots of help when peeling potatoes or something and to pass onto kids when they leave for college. The Oxo one is most similar to the Cutco one, but the Cutco just works better.

Amazon was cheaper than ordering from Cutco at the time I ordered a month ago.